Skype Mobile in London?

Gingerfer16

Reaction score
I am so sorry if this has been discussed but I have been weeding through TripAdvisor Forums for 3 days now and my eyes are burning. I read through some basics, but maybe you can help put it all together for me. I am traveling to London in July. I wanted to make quick calls home. I have the Droid 2, and saw a few threads where people were using skype over WiFi. I also saw that Skype Mobile was blocked by Verizon in WiFi mode. Low and behold when i hit airplane mode and turned on WiFi at home it wouldn't work. So I downloaded the other application and so far it works. Will it work over there if I can connect to Wifi or do I need to download something else like the Fring I kept seeing mentioned (i don't even know what it is). If it does work can I call landlines, or only Skype contacts? What about cost? Please help the Tech Illiterate Girl!

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Verizon will loan you a global phone that works in Europe. Just call Verizon ask for Global Services. Before you leave, transfer your number to the Global phone and when you return, switch it back and then send them the phone back.

My daughter just returned from a trip to London, Paris, and Barcelona. Some of the hotels she stayed in had free wifi, and she used that to update on Facebook with her Iphone. She texted twice a day, we made no voice calls.

This is an alternative to Skype.

carlos31820

Reaction score
I just got back from a trip in Honduras and was able to use the Skype for Android app (not Skype Mobile) over wifi to call home. Cost was two cents a minute ($0.02). Great deal if you ask me. Be aware that if you fund your Skype account via Paypal, it may take several days for the funds to be available for Skype usage. I suggest funding Skype with a credit card since those fund almost instantly.