1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Skinned AudioManager Widget

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Benny879, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Benny879

Benny879 New Member

So I took my first plunge into modding existing widgets and started with skinning the AudioManager Widget to match AdamZ's Smoked Glass theme. Ive included install instructions and download for those who want it.

EDIT: Updated background to match identically to SmokedGlass widgets

Downloads:

Blue Theme: http://www.mediafire.com/?mxynkmvwwnj
    Red Theme: http://www.mediafire.com/?jqmmoyjmuww

Install Instructions:

1. Make sure original AudioManager Widget is already installed
    2. Download .zip and rename extension to .apk
    3. Copy "com.smartandroidapps.audiowidget.apk" to your /system/app folder
    4. Using terminal or adb shell type the following commands:

su
    chmod 644 /system/app/com.smartandroidapps.audiowidget.apk
    sync
    reboot

5. After phone boots back up your good to go

Blue Theme
    [​IMG]

Red Theme
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

Wait how did you do this, I tried for some time even made the skin and replaced the files and made it back into the apk but it would not show up as a widget.

And yea I would love it!!!

If you don't wanna post here maybe you can email it to me I would be so grateful!
  3. CoyG

CoyG New Member

if you could switch out the blue with adeep red i would want that in a heart beat. that is awesome though man.
  4. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

I cannot for the life of me figure out how you did it, I took your file and added my own background.png file and removed yours but now the widget is not an option in the list.

So maybe I'm making my background.png file wrong or something.

I use Fireworks what do you use to make yours?
  5. Benny879

Benny879 New Member

I used Photoshop for all the image editing. Did you follow the instructions I added? If you don't chmod the .apk it won't work.
  6. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

Yea of course. I'm saying I can install yours and thats cool but you didn't do the background.png to match the theme and when I try and do that and add it, it won't come up.

Can I ask you how you make a transparent border, I have fireworks and photoshop.

Thanks man I have been trying this forever you're awesome!
  7. Benny879

Benny879 New Member

Did you chmod YOUR file after your modified it? It wont work if you didn't. Also, how are you zipping up your .apk's? Not quite sure how to do the transparent border thing. I'm still learning Photochop as I go. If you search Youtube for Photoshop tutorials you'll be surprised how much you can learn that way.
  8. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

Yea I am, I am doing exactly what I do when I install yours, same process.

Your background.png has a transparent border like when you click on the image you can see it how did you do that. I have been googling around forever lol I cannot find out how to do this :(
  9. Benny879

Benny879 New Member

Haha...for the background image all I did was take the original one, convert it to back & white, and darkened it a bit. Maybe tomorrow I'll try to make a background that matches the other smoked glass ones.
  10. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

I am actually using a modification of your audio manager skin. I made the background transparent, I am going to clean it up a bit, and see what I can do with the meters. I kinda want to have a black and white theme, and maybe change the alpha a bit to make them semi-transparent. I am terrible in photoshop though so...

But this is what she looks like transparent on a black background.
    [​IMG]
  11. Benny879

Benny879 New Member

Pretty cool idea. The trick is to cut out only the text so you don't leave the background behind it. I'm going to work on this some more today to try and improve the background. If you change the background, dont forget to do the same to the landscape image also.
  12. mjones1052

mjones1052 New Member

The problem with skinning market apps is that Android doesn't like you messing with thigns in the data folder it seems. You can skin them, and do whatever you want, they just have to be installed in the system folder. The thing to do would be to:

adb pull it from the phone,
    make a copy and extract with 7zip
    open original with open archive in 7zip
    modify the files you want in the extracted copy you made
    then you can drag and drop them in to the open archive of the original
    adb push it back to your phone.

I was able to skin mixzing to match my blue, and I skinned the pandora widget to pink. That seems to be the only problem with skinning market apps, is that once your done you need to put them in system instead of data.

HOWEVER: This will ruin the updating functionality of the app. You should be able to see there is an update, but you will not be able to update it because it's not in the right spot. Quick fix, just delete it from system/app download new version, pull from phone, copy changes you made to archive, push back to system.
  13. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

I live in philly also! 7th and south :)
  14. aupeters

aupeters New Member

I've been trying to modify the audio manager widget all day. I made a perfectly transparent background, but now I'm stuck as to how to put it all back together. Could someone walk me through the process? I've tried everything imaginable and I cannot get it to work.

Starting from the now-modified image file I created, how do I move forward? Any help is much appreciated.
  15. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

There is a basic step by step guide in the previous two posts before yours. It can be done a bit differently, but that is basically the foolproof way to do it.

How to push it back to your phone is in the first post of this thread.
  16. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

You know, I must have got a glitch or something when I rooted, installed the ROM or the kernel.

This is the fourth time I have tried to install a new "updated" widget, be it the audio widget, Pandora widget, Facebook widget, and then this audio widget. Everything goes without a hicup, except when everything reboots, it's still the same "old" widget.

Bummer. Really would like the blue theme'd smoked glass widgets.
  17. aupeters

aupeters New Member

WOOHOO! The secret was definitely 7zip - had to find a PC to use it. Then I spent an hour trying to see why it STILL didn't work only to finally discover I had modified a redundant image file and not the correct background. Thanks so much!!
    [​IMG]
  18. Mars

Mars New Member

is this possible benny? can someone please hook this up? smoked glass but with red instead of blue? it would be very much appreciated..if it takes too long to do then i would understand
  19. Benny879

Benny879 New Member

Ill see what I can conjure up. I'll have some time later tonight to work on it. Check back here late Monday.
  20. Mars

Mars New Member

you da man! i would use the blue one you made, but my setup is all red/black
Search tags for this page

how to hack audio manager android

how to hack the audio manager for android

ics audio manager skin.apk