Size to Display Ratio Ranked for Multiple Android Smartphones

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
phone-arena-screen-size-android-phone-ratios.png

For those who are curious how efficiently the different Android manufacturers are keeping their display to phone size ratio, a new breakdown was created which helps address that. Basically, the percentage of screen real estate to total case dimensions was measured for a number of different high-end international devices. The "winner" of this comparison (even though it isn't really a contest) is a phone from out of left field. It's the Sharp Aquos Xx 302Sh (pictured below). It has the highest screen to total size ratio of just over 80%. This is the closest a smartphone device has come (at least for what was tested) to being "bezel-free."

sharp-aquos-winner.png

The LG G2 scored in second place with a whopping 76% ratio. These are followed in the top by a number of other Asian and European marketed devices. The Nexus 5 tops the list for the middle of the pack devices, coming it at 6th place with a 72.33% ratio.

The bottom of the list is held firm by the iPhone 5S and the Nokia Lumia 1020. Neither the HTC One M7, nor the newer HTC One M8 faired to well either, but that is to be expected since they include front facing stereo speakers.

Source: PhoneArena

Asgard

Reaction score
I'm reading up on that phone, and I find it interesting that not too many people mention that sharp was the first to use IGZO displays on phones and tablets.

But at the same time this info comes like publicity for them, but I like the idea of talking about other manufactures because it seems that here in the US, if it's not by apple, Google, LG, Samsung or HTC, it is immediately regarded as garbage.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm reading up on that phone, and I find it interesting that not too many people mention that sharp was the first to use IGZO displays on phones and tablets.

But at the same time this info comes like publicity for them, but I like the idea of talking about other manufactures because it seems that here in the US, if it's not by apple, Google, LG, Samsung or HTC, it is immediately regarded as garbage.

I look at all kinds of hardware OEM devices. My problem is that in the US, they don't have much market share. Its hard to find out if its a good device in terms of build quality, the radio, screen, etc compared to the big names. Companies like Oppo I probably won't buy. I'm just not a fan of a Chinese company for my phone that has so much access to my personal info. The NSA already watches everything I do, I don't want to add China to that list. I'm finally going to give HTC a shot with the M8 when it comes to TMobile on the 11th. My wife had the Thunderbolt and that phone was a massive disappointment. I also hated Sense on that device. But I've heard Sense has improved much since then and is less troublesome than TouchWiz.

Also, though I don't mod as much as I used to, the more popular phones have way more dev support and community interaction. That to me is a big thing too.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm just not a fan of a Chinese company for my phone that has so much access to my personal info. The NSA already watches everything I do, I don't want to add China to that list.

Also, though I don't mod as much as I used to, the more popular phones have way more dev support and community interaction. That to me is a big thing too.

That's the main reason I stopped using MIUI Roms. Yeah, sure they were nice and flashy, and made my OG Droid look fantastic, but it was from a Chinese entity, and after the first 6 months of development instituted an EULA to use their ROM's, that basically said that I would be sharing "anonymous" data with them.

Speaking of more popular phones having Dev support, when you load a custom ROM, you could also be sharing sensitive data with the developer, and not even know it. :icon_eek: