Situation in Brazil.

brsp35

Reaction score
Yeah, another happy Brazilian customer here. Overall satisfied with the new gadget but with a few drawbacks:

- missing a physical dial buttom, installed gde home to improve its use as a "cell phone". couldn´t bear a widget as a dial button. maybe i am just an old schooler

- battery wise, we need an upgrade asap on the firmware side. hate to have it on 2g to save battery

Regarding previous post on the forum, i like the pad on the keyboard which saves time on jumping from fill up fields at internet pages. Sometimes it is just too small to touch on the right place.

I am bothered as well to not have acces to paid apps on the marketplace. I would not mind to buy, for instance, the paid version of the game "2 player reactor". amazingly fun to use while waiting to be served on restaurants.

Also missing the voice recognition on the motorola navigator. hopefully it will going to be available outside the us.

Cheers!

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
hey there,

- missing a physical dial buttom, installed gde home to improve its use as a "cell phone". couldn´t bear a widget as a dial button. maybe i am just an old schooler

I think it isnt needed as physical .... or maybe just for oldschoolers

- battery wise, we need an upgrade asap on the firmware side. hate to have it on 2g to save battery

Have you turned the GPS and BLUETOOTH off? also dimm the screen to 50% it really saves a lot. Also make sure to go through all your widgets and decrease update rates. Like with Twidgit, if it updates every 5 minutes, battery is empty after 6 hours. if it Updates every 1 hour, Battery lives really longer!!

I hope that helps out a little :D

Tigger

nicolas

Reaction score
I'm another happy Brazilian customer here.

Very happy with my Milestone, but it's far from perfect. Had a few lockups already, including having to pull the battery 2 times.

I hope OTA updates will come for us as they appear on the european market. Would hate to be bound to localized updates.

One thing missing is Google Voice. I guess they don't support portuguese now.

Really wish Google wakes up and enable us to BUY apps on the app market. Just doesn't make sense to limit us to free apps. Apparently there are several other countries with the same problem. IMHO this must be some political/tax problem.

But anyway, very happy with mine. Waiting impaciently for OTA updates :). Let's hope 2.1 comes soon.

nicolas

Reaction score
I've watched the Google PR today. What they meant is that 2.1 source code will be publicy available in a couple of days, but that doesn't mean we will have updated software for the Milestone on that day.

We have to wait for Motorola to make their own OTA update, with their customization (I guess, usually related to hardware).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't expect it so soon.

OP
A

ap0lo

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, I've read on this very forum that there will be an update on the Droid on January 11th. If it is true, we should expect the same update for our Milestones short after, hopefully.

nicolas

Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't be too confident that it will come just after the Droid's update, as 2.0.1 was released quite some time ago and we got nothing on the Milestone :(.

sloopjohnb

Reaction score
Hi everybody :)
I've just got myself a milestone too!! (in brasil). I went with vivo on this one, the price was 600 reais (~350usd) and a monthly plan of around 80-100usd with data.
The device is very 'business like' and 'sober'. The sliding mechanism is sturdy. The edges are a bit sharp so it's not a very ergonomic phone but I like the overall design.
I've been having a couple of suprises since yesterday (when I got it) because I tought the milestone had the same functions as the droid but I was wrong... The milestone doesn't come with facebook integration, voice search, google navigation, messaging app for sms, msn and yahoo.
I've managed to find and install the facebook integration, voice search and the navigation but I can't seem to find the Messaging app that comes with the droid and supports sms,yahoo and msn, not like the milestone's one which only supports sms. Can someone help me get it????? Should I have any problems installing it??

trhuseby

Reaction score
Can someone confirm the 850 3G support? I'm getting ready to buy one of these on EBAY (A853) and want to make sure I can use on AT&T with 3G.

arlissfreire

Reaction score
I confirm I have purchased my Motorola Milestone unlocked, A853, in Brazil and it has 3G 850Mhz support.

rhruiz

Reaction score
New Motorola A853 Milestone black 3G GPS Unlocked WiFi - eBay (item 110480514154 end time Feb-11-10 05:46:32 PST)

This guy in Austrailia claims to be selling the A853? But I'm hearing rumors that there are two versions... one for UK and one for Brazil... Anyone know if ALL A853's supported US 3g?

yes, there are different versions of A853, here are the specs for the latin american: http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/B...Mobile-Phones/ci.Motorola-MILESTONE-BR-PT.alt

You can see they include 2100 and 850

On the australian site it is not even listed. The South American Milestone can be identified going to Settings > About phone. The build number should be listed as SHLA_... insted of SHOU_...

(edit: correct link)

Last edited:

trhuseby

Reaction score
Thanks... So the fact that a company is listing for sale an A853 doesn't mean that it supports 850... It could be a UK Milestone that only supports 900/1900 ;(

shatteredzman

Reaction score
Thanks... So the fact that a company is listing for sale an A853 doesn't mean that it supports 850... It could be a UK Milestone that only supports 900/1900 ;(

Most people who are selling the phone have no idea what they are selling and have just copied someone elses description. Some listings dont even clarify if they are selling the droid or the milestone!

mario_jr

Reaction score
Hello from Brazil! :)
Any ideas when OTA update will be available?
Im kinda annoyed..can only access free market.. :mad:
Is the message " The device is unable to connect to the server. Try again later." normal when I try to update my system?

THANKS !