Sirius XM Android app is here

Tigerules

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with XM Support, informed them the problem I am having with my Droid after the update listening to XM Radio, skipping and what not. I told her I don't think its fair that I'm paying for a service that I can't use. (It's horrible, listing to PGA Tour Radio). She gave me a 6 month credit to my account!!!! Oh ya she also said that the problem would be fixed with an update in the next 24 to 48 hours...

jnic

Reaction score
Those of us who have rooted our phones and have been using Froyo for a while have been aware of this problem for a while. It affects Sirius as well as other streaming music apps like Pandora, etc.

The problem has been identified as being caused by a new multimedia decoder in 2.2 called "Stagefright". Someone discovered that if you disable Stagefright, the phone will use the older decoder and the Sirius looping/skipping problems go away.

Unfortunately doing this requires root access, as a system file (build.prop) needs to be modified.

Of course what should happen eventually is either Google fixes Stagefright, or Sirius updates their app. One or the other.

So you guys are definitely right, Sirius is giving you bogus answers. Chances are though, their CSRs simply have not been informed of the true issue yet.

Ok, kids, here is what I did. I did several searches on this forum regarding rooting and what I would need. I'm a noob to rooting so it wasn't easy, having had no interest before. Well, because I am on 2.2, that complicates things a bit. Fortunately, very recently, Easy Root came out with a version that allows you to root 2.2 with a couple of button pushes. Best $0.99 you can spend if you want to root.

Next move was to figure out how to edit the file listed above, build.prop. I went after the free Terminal Emulator first, installed it and that wouldn't run. So I saw that someone recommended Root Explorer. Another awesome purchase and highly recommended for a couple of bucks. Astro wouldn't get to the root files, so this is needed. I went into the /system folder and found the file build.prop. I pushed and held and went into the text editor, after forcing R/W access with a button. I edited the suspect line from TRUE to FALSE, backed out, was prompted to save the file. It did, as well as making a backup copy. I rebooted the phone, just in case, launched Sirius/XM app, and lo and behold, no more buffering issues!

Thanks for pointing us in the right direction on this problem. I'm happy to have the music playing correctly again!

I'm new to all this but tried the patch. After changing the build.prop file I noticed it didn't work. But after reading your post I realized I never rebooted my phone. Once I did it worked great. Very important to reboot and spend the money on root explorer because I could not save the file with the free root app I was using.
Sirius support was useless. Keep up the great work Android forum...now I can listen to Jason Ellis on my sirius app without an annoying loop...RED DRAGONS!!!

azpilot

Reaction score

Booch_21

Reaction score
Stay away from easy root.

Here we go again, there is nothing wrong with easy root, its not stolen or anything else... yea there are different software packages you can use to root with. Easy Root works just fine been using it since day one.

+1 I used it to root ONCE. I am not one to root, unroot, root, unroot, etc. Easy Root does what it is supposed to do, period.

liam.

Reaction score
keep getting a notification when trying to log in that says "BASIC ACCOUNTS RESTRICTED; Visit:siriusxm.com/oniphone To subscribe to premium online"

But I already HAVE premium online... help?

badog

Reaction score
Tigerules said:
Just got off the phone with XM Support, informed them the problem I am having with my Droid after the update listening to XM Radio, skipping and what not. I told her I don't think its fair that I'm paying for a service that I can't use. (It's horrible, listing to PGA Tour Radio). She gave me a 6 month credit to my account!!!! Oh ya she also said that the problem would be fixed with an update in the next 24 to 48 hours...
Hmmm, it's been a long 24/48 hours :)

And i'm sorry I posted that remark about easyroot. I shouldn't have said anything. Sorry guys.

liam.

Reaction score
Those of us who have rooted our phones and have been using Froyo for a while have been aware of this problem for a while. It affects Sirius as well as other streaming music apps like Pandora, etc.

The problem has been identified as being caused by a new multimedia decoder in 2.2 called "Stagefright". Someone discovered that if you disable Stagefright, the phone will use the older decoder and the Sirius looping/skipping problems go away.

Unfortunately doing this requires root access, as a system file (build.prop) needs to be modified.

Of course what should happen eventually is either Google fixes Stagefright, or Sirius updates their app. One or the other.

So you guys are definitely right, Sirius is giving you bogus answers. Chances are though, their CSRs simply have not been informed of the true issue yet.

Ok, kids, here is what I did. I did several searches on this forum regarding rooting and what I would need. I'm a noob to rooting so it wasn't easy, having had no interest before. Well, because I am on 2.2, that complicates things a bit. Fortunately, very recently, Easy Root came out with a version that allows you to root 2.2 with a couple of button pushes. Best $0.99 you can spend if you want to root.

Next move was to figure out how to edit the file listed above, build.prop. I went after the free Terminal Emulator first, installed it and that wouldn't run. So I saw that someone recommended Root Explorer. Another awesome purchase and highly recommended for a couple of bucks. Astro wouldn't get to the root files, so this is needed. I went into the /system folder and found the file build.prop. I pushed and held and went into the text editor, after forcing R/W access with a button. I edited the suspect line from TRUE to FALSE, backed out, was prompted to save the file. It did, as well as making a backup copy. I rebooted the phone, just in case, launched Sirius/XM app, and lo and behold, no more buffering issues!

Thanks for pointing us in the right direction on this problem. I'm happy to have the music playing correctly again!

I'm new to all this but tried the patch. After changing the build.prop file I noticed it didn't work. But after reading your post I realized I never rebooted my phone. Once I did it worked great. Very important to reboot and spend the money on root explorer because I could not save the file with the free root app I was using.
Sirius support was useless. Keep up the great work Android forum...now I can listen to Jason Ellis on my sirius app without an annoying loop...RED DRAGONS!!!

OK so I tried the fix as stated above, changing the line TRUE to FALSAE and still nothing won't let me log in still. Anyone that can help?

Sent from my Droid!

Booch_21

Reaction score
OK so I tried the fix as stated above, changing the line TRUE to FALSAE and still nothing won't let me log in still. Anyone that can help?
Spell it FALSE, save it, reboot and it works. Doesn't take any more than that. This fixes the streaming problem only. If you are having issues logging in, this won't fix that.

liam.

Reaction score
Yea that was a spelling error on my part using the key board.

So is there a fix for the log in issues?

Sent using my DROID!

Booch_21

Reaction score
So is there a fix for the log in issues?
Yes. Call Sirius/XM to assist you. Have you tried to login on your computer using the online radio with the same account? We can't help you with a login problem, but you can help diagnose the issue before calling them by checking access on the computer.

DetroitMark

Reaction score
Thanks to Booch_21 (and others) I was able to get it to work perfectly. I enjoyed 2 hours of uninterrupted XM yesterday. Booch_21 already laid out the instructions but I'll post a simplified version anyway.

Here's what I did:

1) Purchase and install easyroot (i'm lazy and easyroot is cheap)
2) Root phone
3) Reboot
4) Purchase and install root explorer
5) Use root explorer to edit /system/build.prop
6) Change the line media.stagefright.enable-player=true
to media.stagefright.enable-player=false
7) Reboot
8) Play O and A on XM202
9) Enjoy loop-free explicit comedy.

Thanks for the help Booch_21 and others who contributed to this thread; I wasn't looking forward to going back to 2.1 for a single broken application!

WORKS!! THANK YOU EVILDROID (Member# 101486)!!

How do I change the R/W properties? The original instructions back on pate 23 or so said he forced write-ability with "a button." What button?

badog

Reaction score
Thanks to Booch_21 (and others) I was able to get it to work perfectly. I enjoyed 2 hours of uninterrupted XM yesterday. Booch_21 already laid out the instructions but I'll post a simplified version anyway.

Here's what I did:

1) Purchase and install easyroot (i'm lazy and easyroot is cheap)
2) Root phone
3) Reboot
4) Purchase and install root explorer
5) Use root explorer to edit /system/build.prop
6) Change the line media.stagefright.enable-player=true
to media.stagefright.enable-player=false
7) Reboot
8) Play O and A on XM202
9) Enjoy loop-free explicit comedy.

Thanks for the help Booch_21 and others who contributed to this thread; I wasn't looking forward to going back to 2.1 for a single broken application!

WORKS!! THANK YOU EVILDROID (Member# 101486)!!

How do I change the R/W properties? The original instructions back on pate 23 or so said he forced write-ability with "a button." What button?
The app "Root Explorer" has a button for r/o or r/w access.