Since the leaked update...

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I rooted my phone and put the leaked GB update, also changed the overclock settings on my DX. well for 2 days it worked perfectly fine, no issues at all. battery was lasting great. the past 2 days, it's been resetting off n on at completely random times. Anyone have an idea of this or how i can poss fix? Thanks ahead of time!

Yeah, stop overclocking your phone. Seriously, what's the point? Bragging rights? A higher score in an artificial benchmark that really doesn't translate to real world performance? Just to do it?

I enjoyed overclocking PC's for many years. First chip I overclocked was a Cyrix CPU, a PR166 to be exact, so that is how long ago I started. LOL

But after awhile, the return on the investment, especially when it doesn't make a real difference on actual usage other than instability or reboots, just doesn't make sense. If you had an original Droid and it prolonged the life span of the device by making it fast enough to be usable on the latest version of the OS, then it makes sense.

But on a DX?

People get caught up in it, and worrying about Quadrant scores when at the end of the day it doesn't make the phone surf the web any faster. It doesn't play music or watch a movie any better. Doesn't make the phone calls better.

All it does it create extra heat, chew up your battery faster and cause spontaneous reboots. So when you looks at the cons, and the pros just aren't there, does it make sense to do it?

I tried it, I figured, "Hey, free performance"... But the only thing it did was make my phone reboot itself randomly. I clocked it back to stock, no more reboots.

+1

I also recall people overclocking their PCs so much that components actually melted because of the heat.

Anyone who really needs speed should consider an Intel Core i7.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Exactly. At one point it made sense. When you could buy a Celeron 300a and clock it at 450-500Mhz with some mobo jumper settings and it cost 1/3 the price of the PII450 and was faster pretty much across the board, sure, it made sense. Not everyone had $800 to spend on a CPU.

But at some point, things got to the point that you could buy a hella fast chip for very little money. No need to worry about instability, having to invest a lot in exotic cooling, etc...

This PC is not two years old and is just now starting to show its age. Intel Quad-core 2.4Ghz, 6GB RAM, 2TB in storage, ATI 4890HD, SB X-Fi, etc... I am holding off on upgrading till I can get either an 8-core CPU, or dual quad-cores...

In any case, the return on investment when you buy something high end is that there usually isn't a lot to be gained by overclocking. A Droid 600Mhz overclocked to a Ghz, sure, that is an improvement. A DX 1Ghz at 1.2? Not really. If you didn't have some sort of synthetic benchmark telling you that you had marginally higher scores, you wouldn't even notice the performance difference.

So when you see that there isn't really any pros, but there is a decent list of cons, why bother?

joeshell20

Reaction score
Thanks to the few of you who attempted to help as person to person and not God to scum. I've defaulted back and its been fine.

To the cpl of higher beings on here, I forgot im retarded bc I wasn't gifted wit overclockin as a 2nd language and should know everything about a phone. I guess some of u jus knew everything about them without having to ask others ANYTHING.

Here is the thing, and try to take this as constructive criticism...

1) If you overclock, you should know the basics. You should know why you are doing it, the consequences and some of the settings, or else you can quickly run into problems. You are altering your CPU and running it beyond the specs of the manufacturer. It will draw more current, which drains the battery faster, makes more heat, which causes more instability and can shorten the life of the CPU, etc...

2) If you choose to overclock and the phone becomes unstable, and you post a thread asking why your overclocked phone is unstable, you should sort of expect a smartass comment like "Stop overclocking your phone knucklehead". It was intended in a good natured fashion, but the point was valid.

3) If you don't know what your phone's CPU runs at or what speed "stock" is, then we are back to my first point... Before you start messing with the phone, know the basics. And when overclocking, at least knowing what the starting speed is, should be a no-brainer.

Personally, I think that overclocking is over-rated. I see people in the PC community still at it, using liquid nitrogen to cool the CPU and keep it from going up in smoke, they alter the OS itself to make it appear faster, they have unstable systems that they are lucky if it can last long enough to run the lame benchmark before it BSOD's, and all for what? To brag to other geeks living in their parent's basement that also are not getting laid? LOL

You bought a fast phone, enjoy it. ROM it, tweak it and get it the way you want, but overclocking does nothing for you. Won't make it take better pictures. Won't make the calls sound better. Won't boost your signal. Won't increase your internet speeds, help you text faster, make your music sound better, etc...

All it will do is drain your battery faster, make it run hotter, and make it reboot itself. There's no upside to overclocking this phone other than being able to brag to someone that your phone runs at 1.2Ghz.

And when you are doing that and your phone call cuts off because your phone rebooted itself, it sorta loses its luster pretty quickly at that point. haha

Totally aggree! Never attempt to do any modificatioms without reading the instructions. Learned that the hard way with my HTC Apache.

J

JriderG

You can always underclock the Droid x for longer battery life. Just lower the voltage. Don't listen to the scrubs.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

J

JriderG

One more thing. .2 Ghz = 200 MHz, which correct me if I'm wrong squire, is 200 million cycles per second. That is alot of speed in my opinion. And you can go even higher.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
One more thing. .2 Ghz = 200 MHz, which correct me if I'm wrong squire, is 200 million cycles per second. That is alot of speed in my opinion. And you can go even higher.

Speed?

Not exactly. The Mhz is akin to the RPM of a motor. It tells you how fast the motor "spins", but it is not a measure of how much work it can do(HP and Torque).

vatothe0

Reaction score
Sorry bro u had to get flammed by these fellows that are so insecure about them selfs that they need to put some one else down so they can feel bigger.

The straight answer to ur question is either sbf back to stock n start over again, or just reflash ur rom but dnt over clock and see if that's the problem or set it to 800Mhz that's the stock clock on ur DX.

However if ur phone has ever heated above 50'C I suggest u call Big Red and try to get a replacement bcuz ur CPU would most likely be damaged by the heat since the CPU max heat capacity is 35'C and your batterys max is 45'C. Just dnt tellem u have messed wit the phone, just say it started doing it by it self n it turns off.

honestly don't see that listed at first... it's listed as default and i was driving around when i was tryin to mess with it. my bad

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

If he sends it back now, he'll probably get charged $300 for damage outside the manufacturers warranty. Not a good idea.

Sent from my DROIDX

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry bro u had to get flammed by these fellows that are so insecure about them selfs that they need to put some one else down so they can feel bigger.

The straight answer to ur question is either sbf back to stock n start over again, or just reflash ur rom but dnt over clock and see if that's the problem or set it to 800Mhz that's the stock clock on ur DX.

However if ur phone has ever heated above 50'C I suggest u call Big Red and try to get a replacement bcuz ur CPU would most likely be damaged by the heat since the CPU max heat capacity is 35'C and your batterys max is 45'C. Just dnt tellem u have messed wit the phone, just say it started doing it by it self n it turns off.

honestly don't see that listed at first... it's listed as default and i was driving around when i was tryin to mess with it. my bad

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

1) Nobody flamed him. What he was asking was kinda silly. If he went into a Ford Mustang forum and had pulled his motor apart to tune it and asked how many spark plugs his V8 motor had, he would have gotten the same response, that maybe he shouldn't be taking the motor apart if he didn't take the time to know the absolute basics.

2) Your telling him to try and warranty replace a phone that he may have fried from overheating due to overclocking, is exactly why VZW is trying to put the hammer down on their phones and locking them down and eliminating rooting. "Stealing" tethering doesn't actually cost them money unless one assumes that every person using free tethering would have otherwise paid for the service, which I don't think is the case. Most people do it just because they can, but that is another debate.

What you are suggesting that he does, here in a public forum that VZW almost certainly monitors to some extent, absolutely does cost them money and is probably the prime motivator in them getting cheezed at rooters and trying to take us out. People jacking with their phones, screwing them up because they don't know what they are doing, and then expecting VZW to hand them another $600 phone, that they will undoubtedly have another go at whatever it was that fried the first phone.

If anyone needs to be flamed for being a knucklehead, its you. LOL

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I rooted my phone and put the leaked GB update, also changed the overclock settings on my DX. well for 2 days it worked perfectly fine, no issues at all. battery was lasting great. the past 2 days, it's been resetting off n on at completely random times. Anyone have an idea of this or how i can poss fix? Thanks ahead of time!

Yeah, stop overclocking your phone. Seriously, what's the point? Bragging rights? A higher score in an artificial benchmark that really doesn't translate to real world performance? Just to do it?

I enjoyed overclocking PC's for many years. First chip I overclocked was a Cyrix CPU, a PR166 to be exact, so that is how long ago I started. LOL

But after awhile, the return on the investment, especially when it doesn't make a real difference on actual usage other than instability or reboots, just doesn't make sense. If you had an original Droid and it prolonged the life span of the device by making it fast enough to be usable on the latest version of the OS, then it makes sense.

But on a DX?

People get caught up in it, and worrying about Quadrant scores when at the end of the day it doesn't make the phone surf the web any faster. It doesn't play music or watch a movie any better. Doesn't make the phone calls better.

All it does it create extra heat, chew up your battery faster and cause spontaneous reboots. So when you looks at the cons, and the pros just aren't there, does it make sense to do it?

I tried it, I figured, "Hey, free performance"... But the only thing it did was make my phone reboot itself randomly. I clocked it back to stock, no more reboots.

+1

I also recall people overclocking their PCs so much that components actually melted because of the heat.

Anyone who really needs speed should consider an Intel Core i7.

I got the Core i7 for my pc and I overclocked it! Also, I have my phone set to 1.15mhz (performance gov) and have it on ulv. The phone is noticeably quicker with it set this way and I get great battery life. It's all about reading and testing. Some phones just dont like being oc'd.

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score
I got the Core i7 for my pc and I overclocked it! Also, I have my phone set to 1.15mhz (performance gov) and have it on ulv. The phone is noticeably quicker with it set this way and I get great battery life. It's all about reading and testing. Some phones just dont like being oc'd.

Pretty impressive you can get your phone to stay on at that low of clock speed lol battery life must be extremely amazing :p

Sorry, I had to lol

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

Pretty impressive you can get your phone to stay on at that low of clock speed lol battery life must be extremely amazing :p

Sorry, I had to lol

Yea, my X has been an absolute tank! I've never had any of the reported issues on roms or oc.. it just keeps on tickin!

rkeller62

Reaction score
2) Your telling him to try and warranty replace a phone that he may have fried from overheating due to overclocking, is exactly why VZW is trying to put the hammer down on their phones and locking them down and eliminating rooting. "Stealing" tethering doesn't actually cost them money unless one assumes that every person using free tethering would have otherwise paid for the service, which I don't think is the case. Most people do it just because they can, but that is another debate.

That is not entirely accurate - if enough people "steal" tethering and that puts enough strain on VZWs network then they may be forced to upgrade their cell towers/sites to handle the additional bandwidth to ensure proper functioning of the network. This is a GREAT cost to VZW.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

That is not entirely accurate - if enough people "steal" tethering and that puts enough strain on VZWs network then they may be forced to upgrade their cell towers/sites to handle the additional bandwidth to ensure proper functioning of the network. This is a GREAT cost to VZW.

Yes, "if", that could theoretically be the case, but we don't know that at this time. I think that the reality is that there are a ton of us that pay for the "unlimited data plan" that spend 90% of their time on Wifi, so in the end, the bandwidth issue is a wash. I would be willing to bet that the people that really abuse tethering, are outnumbered by people like me that pay unlimited and use 150mb a month by 50 to 1.

But returning a phone that the user knowingly fried because they were a goober, that absolutely is a cost to VZW no matter how you look at it. That one, we know. :)

rkeller62

Reaction score

Yes, "if", that could theoretically be the case, but we don't know that at this time. I think that the reality is that there are a ton of us that pay for the "unlimited data plan" that spend 90% of their time on Wifi, so in the end, the bandwidth issue is a wash. I would be willing to bet that the people that really abuse tethering, are outnumbered by people like me that pay unlimited and use 150mb a month by 50 to 1.

But returning a phone that the user knowingly fried because they were a goober, that absolutely is a cost to VZW no matter how you look at it. That one, we know. :)

Cost to VZW, Motorola or both?? Since it is a Manufacturer's warranty, isn't Motorola on the hook and not VZW? Don't know, just asking.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

Cost to VZW, Motorola or both?? Since it is a Manufacturer's warranty, isn't Motorola on the hook and not VZW? Don't know, just asking.

Good question. I don't know who eats the cost. Being that VZW subsidizes the price of the phones and buys them from Motorola, I am sure that they are getting hit with something.