since so many of us are having google nav issues...

allison

Reaction score
I just wish you could turn it off so it doesn't send you on toll roads. I've had problems where I had to turn off the Nav, find my own way, then turn it back on to re-route me since it seems to only ever want to send me on toll roads.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It would be nice if like in google maps on line if we could pull the map navigator over to avoid toll roads. Or had an option for avoiding highways or tolls.

JimmyD

Reaction score
Can't remember where I read this--Washington Post probably--but the satellites are beginning to fail. They were put up a long time ago. The gist of the article was that there would have to be some serious updating in the near future if the world wanted to continue to use gps. I think of this when my gps is a bit slow to find me. Maybe it means nothing but it could be a satellite problem and not the gps itself. Of course since I am far from techy I could be way off the mark.

Very true. The orbits for many were starting to decay in 2009 resulting in a number of them being useless from 2010 onward until replacements were launched. To make matters worse....no replacements are planned.

Got a source to back up the comment about "no [GPS satellite] replacements are planned."?

No offense, but I find that really hard to believe! GPS technology is used for MUCH MORE than simply providing drivers with map navigation in their cars.

myriad46

Reaction score
Can't remember where I read this--Washington Post probably--but the satellites are beginning to fail. They were put up a long time ago. The gist of the article was that there would have to be some serious updating in the near future if the world wanted to continue to use gps. I think of this when my gps is a bit slow to find me. Maybe it means nothing but it could be a satellite problem and not the gps itself. Of course since I am far from techy I could be way off the mark.

Very true. The orbits for many were starting to decay in 2009 resulting in a number of them being useless from 2010 onward until replacements were launched. To make matters worse....no replacements are planned.

Got a source to back up the comment about "no [GPS satellite] replacements are planned."?

This is like making something true by saying, "I Swear!!!" How about a link?..like this one:

The Deterioration of GPS Satellites: Close to Breakdown?

Last edited:

JimmyD

Reaction score

JimmyD

Reaction score
I just wish you could turn it off so it doesn't send you on toll roads. I've had problems where I had to turn off the Nav, find my own way, then turn it back on to re-route me since it seems to only ever want to send me on toll roads.

It would be nice if like in google maps on line if we could pull the map navigator over to avoid toll roads. Or had an option for avoiding highways or tolls.

allison, hookbill...

You can avoid toll road routes while using Google Nav if you do the following:
- tap on menu
- tap on Route info
- it will shrink your route to fit entirely on the screen, then at the top of your screen, it will display alternate routes! It will even display the mileage and time calculations for the alternate routes!
- tap on whatever alternate route you want to take! The selected route will be highlighted on your map and you will be directed via the new selected route.

:) I hope that helps!

ss13

Reaction score
My Garmin 760 sometimes never finds a signal until I restart it. So that is not a problem with the Droid. Could be that spy satellite that is tracking your every move and getting in the way of the GPS satellite ...or that your phone is just in line of sight of a satellite. Keep it by the window.

I would rather go buy a Thomas Guide over VZW Navigator.

nphil

Reaction score
you guys should try sygic mobile maps or MOTONAV (google's your friend ) Sygic, car navigation for iPhone, Android, Symbian, Windows Mobile and Linux mobile devices

I've been using it ever since the old kaiser (WM6.1) days.

Unfortunately, the Motorola Droid doesn't appear on Sygic's Compatibile Devices page.

I have it running fine on my droid, I think they don't update their website often. Motonav is a bit laggy because of all the 3D stuff, otherwise fine. Sygic is blazing fast on my overclocked droid, no issues so far.

Coop1969

Reaction score

allison, hookbill...

- tap on menu
- tap on Route info
- it will shrink your route to fit entirely on the screen, then at the top of your screen, it will display alternate routes! It will even display the mileage and time calculations for the alternate routes!
- tap on whatever alternate route you want to take! The selected route will be highlighted on your map and you will be directed via the new selected route.

This is good information; thanks Jimmy. Why does Google Maps not always default to the quickest route? I just got directions to a golf course that I play. It defaulted to a route that is 22 miles and 33 minutes. One of the alternate routes is 17 miles and 30 minutes, and i know from experience that this alternate route is the better one. Weird

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

allison, hookbill...

- tap on menu
- tap on Route info

Thanks for the information. I had a feeling there might be a way to work it out because it works so easy on the computer. This definitely will come in handy.

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Find the app causing the gps issue and delete it.

my gps/gnav works perfectly now.

sustained

Reaction score
- tap on menu
- tap on Route info

Very useful info! Thank you JimmyD!

But just to add, after tapping on Route info I had to tap the Alternate Route icon at the bottom of the screen to get the alternate route to show. ;)

krighton

Reaction score
was having a ton of problems with mine....ended up being a conflict with an app i had installed...can't remember which one since i just randomly uninstalled some i wasn't using and the nav started working again.