Since Installing UD 9.8 My Ringtones Only Ring Once When Recieving Calls

Discussion in 'Blackdroid' started by rdburke, Apr 8, 2010.

1. rdburke

rdburke Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :blackdroid: Since installing UD 9.8 all my ringtones only ring once when receiving calls. Any idea on how to fix this? Somebody, anybody? Really don't want to do a re-install of the whole thing if I can help it.:icon_ banana:

Sorry for the dup thread I think I posted about the time I saw the dup. Are we gonna see an update to fix this cause it is kind of a big issue?

#1 rdburke, Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. techdroid

techdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There is already an open thread about this with the solution. I too posted everywhere before I saw it though!! Here was the solution given by the other member and I can say that it worked great on my phone:

1. Download Root Explorer off the market if you don't already have it.
    2. Open open up Root Explorer and navigate to the /system folder.
    3. Mount folder as R/W.
    4. Scroll down to the build.prop file.
    5. Long press the build.prop file which will bring you to a menu window.
    6. Scroll down to: Open in text editor.
    7. Press on screen once. That will open up the keyboard.
    8. Modify line: ro.telephony.call_ring.delay=1
    9. Change the 1 to a 3000. (or lower if you don't like a 3 second delay)
    10. After you modified the line, press the menu button on the bottom of the phone and press save changes.
    Root Explorer will automatically make a backup for you, so don't be worried about modifying the file.
    11. Reboot phone.
    12. Good to go!!

Hope this helps!

3. bodean

bodean Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There is a 2 page thread on here already...and discussed in the 9.8 thread......do we really need another post? Search......the solution is there.

4. kbur316

kbur316 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I already apologized for the duplicate, with all due respect your reply did not contribute anything to the resolution of this issue. On the original subject of the ringtone issue does anyone think it is fair that one should have to DL a paid app to fix the issue or have I overlooked the free version? If this issue can be reproduced on a large scale and I believe it will turn out to be so, a patch should be written. Once again I must apologize for the unecessary thread.

This was originally posted under screename rdburke, I posted on my son's pc this time under wrong login.

#4 kbur316, Apr 8, 2010
  5. techdroid

techdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you can try changing your ringtone. Some people have had success doing that as they seem to think that only a few tones are effected. Not sure if it will work but worth a try!

edit: on a side note though root explorer is an invaluable app if you are rooted. I always remove apps using this and it is very simple rather than having to use terminal emulator.

#5 techdroid, Apr 8, 2010
  6. servant07

servant07 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It can be done without a paid app, but its a bit more involved since you need to have the Android SDK installed. But if you do have it installed then:

1. Boot your phone into SPRecovery and mount your /system directory
    2. On your computer open a command prompt in your SDK Tools directory
    3. Run this: adb pull /system/build.prop C:\build.prop
    4. Find the build.prop file in your C: drive and make a backup somewhere
    5. Edit the build.prop file on your C:\ drive with a text editor (NOT Notepad! Notepad++ is a free app you can get). Save once the line is edited.
    6. Back to command prompt and run: adb push C:\build.prop /system/build.prop
    7. Unmount the /system directory on your phone and reboot.

7. droidisawesome

Ratings:
    +0
    Or you can use terminal emulator to edit the file via vi but that is kind of tough.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. servant07

servant07 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I thought of that, but it's safe practice to not edit system files while the system is running, plus the extra step of making a backup is nice in case something really bad happens, lol.

9. BigRalphN

BigRalphN Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have to search the other thread as this fix does not make sense. I would think that would only cause the phone to delay 3 seconds before the phone started to ring. I tried changing the line above from multiple rings false to true, but that did not seem to work either. Maybe I should have rebooted after. My solution was to make a full mp3 my tone for now.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

10. rdburke

rdburke Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am just getting acustomed to the way things work around here so what comes next? Do we get a real fix or do we have to fend for ourselves on this one? Do we wait for UDv10 for a fix? Would just like to know what to expect cause I don't see everybody that is having this issue paying for Root Explorer or attempting the listed fix. :motdroidhoriz:

11. techdroid

techdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If there are major issues then BD will release a new update (i.e. instead of 9.8 it would become 9.8.1) with the fix. However, this only really happens if a lot of people are having the same issue and it seriously affects the performance of the phone. BD always looks at any issues people are having and in almost all cases the next release will solve the issue. So in this case I doubt there will be a small update to fix this as most people are having no issues with the 9.8 ROM but he will look at solving the issue in V10 which he is working on. If it's something people can't live with they usually flash back to the last ROM they had and then just wait for another update. Hope that helps!

12. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    It works. I set mine to 2000. I dont know if the delay is the first ring or delays for rings after the first ring, but it works. Hell, you could try 1000. I dont have my phone right now so I cant even test 1000.

Yea root explorer: if rooted it is a must have app. I download kernels, ROMS, etc from the web from my Droid , rename them to update.zip if needed with root explorer, all from my phone. I dont know if thats good pratice but it saves me time with not having to connect to the PC so much just to put a file on my SD card. For some strange reason I could only rename folders with Astro File Manager.

#12 jroc, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
Search tags for this page
android ringtone only once

android ringtone only rings once

droid razr maxx only rings once
droid razr only rings once
droid x only rings once
gingerbread ringtones only once
idea 9.8. ring tones
phone rings only once
razr only rings once