Since 2.2 runs SO slow, how do I change it?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mpderksen, Oct 25, 2010.

1. mpderksen

mpderksen New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm an old guy, and new, and yes, I've tried looking it up. *whew*

ROM 2.2 now runs totally slow. Icons come back the the screen 15 seconds after closing an application. I followed the instructions on rooting, and while that seemed to have worked, I tried added a new ROM but it looks the same, and when I go to settings, it still says "2.2"

I'm clearly missing something important. Could someone kindly point me to a post that lists out how to get rid of 2.2 and puts in something else? At this point, I'm not really particular about WHICH ROM I use. Or maybe changing a ROM isn't the same as changing the operating system? I've been assuming that this is like someone "upgraded" my XP to Vista, and I want to get Linux.

Please help, if you would be so kind.

M Derksen

2. woodyman

woodyman Senior Member Developer

Ratings:
    +4
    i wouldn't suggest downgrading to a 2.1 rom or a 2.2 leak but it is always an option..

as far as your home screen and icon coming back delayed i would suggest you open the android market and search for and download
    "LauncherPro" its by fede, and it runs very smooth and it has a lot of extra features on top of the stock launcher.

if you are looking for a ROM to try, please try my ROM,

Droid Concepts - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

or you can view the thread directly here..

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-concepts/63093-release-succulent-desire-v-7-0-a.html

it is a bit older, but runs like a champ, and a new version is in development..

3. mpderksen

mpderksen New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Uhm, okay. I can load your ROM, but isn't the issue with 2.2 (which is the kernel)? I would suspect that until I change that, I'm not really getting anywhere. But this is the part I'm confused on: "how do I get rid of the slowness that started when 2.2 came out?"

Thanks for the uber-fast reply!

MD

4. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    :welcome: to the forum!

What you're describing is a screen redraw. They happen under 2.2 a lot for the Droid 1. Rooting and overclocking would help some, but not really cure it. Trying an alternative launcher would help, especially if you were rooted and edited/made a file that forced the phone to keep the launcher in memory.

Suggestions for non-rooted phones:

Reboot daily. Do a factory reset to clear out your old caches so your phone runs better. Try an alternative launcher.

And probably the one that will do you the most good -- remove any widgets you have. That, coupled with the factory reset, should have your phone running a lot better.

5. OnoSendi

OnoSendi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Stay on 2.2. The problem is your launcher; it's a known problem. Like mentioned before, download LauncherPro from the market. Once installed, press your home button, select "LauncherPro" and check the default check box. Then you can hit your settings button and go to "preferences" and customize your launcher. Hope all works out, good luck :)

6. Banksy

Banksy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer 2.1 over 2.2 anyday.

You can root your phone, and then flash a 2.1 rom (I love BuglessBeasts ROM's)

I don't care what you people say about task killers but when they are on Auto Kill on 2.2 it doesn't help the battery at all. But on 2.1 It saves the battery SOOOO much. dancedroid

^ Little bit off topic ^-^

But yeah i reccomend downgrading to a 2.1 ROM.

7. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    2.2 isn't really the kernel, it's the whole Android system OS. It does include the kernel, but it's not just the kernel. ROMs are based on a particular release of Android OS.

From your description, it sounds like the slowness you're seeing is the "screen redraw" problem. The way Android works in general is that it will swap programs in and out of memory as needed, ideally making it seem like you have infinite memory, as you can pick up any app right where you left off, even if it got swapped out of memory. The problem occurs when an app takes up so much memory that the homescreen launcher gets swapped out of memory. When you hit home, it takes a few seconds to redraw the screen. The Droid unfortunately just does not have enough memory, so this happens a lot - and it happens a lot more with 2.2, because the system apps have gotten larger (that's my guess anyway - I haven't been running the stock OS in awhile)

There are a few ways to fix this:
    1). Get rid of some memory-resident apps that you don't need. This is a good idea in general. Use a task-killer to identify what is taking up memory and then make those apps go away. You can either entirely uninstall them, or just make them not start up automatically (I use "autostarts" to disable the apps I don't use much).

2). Install a ROM that has the option to "Keep Launcher in Memory". This will reduce the total memory you can use, but it will make the phone feel much snappier (because when you hit home it will actually GO there)

I use CyanogenMod. It comes with ADW Launcher instead of the normal stock launcher by default, and it has the option to lock it in memory. I've had zero problems with the "Screen Redraw" since then.

8. mpderksen

mpderksen New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I connected with RSD Lite to get into the mode where I could factory reset. I had transferred the update.zip from bugless beast to my SD card. I cleared all data and cache, and did a full wipe and restore. I saw the overclock installed to 800MHz too. (yes, I see the little ninja guy, so I am sure that I am rooted). Upon reboot, I had a different "eye" and had to input my information all over again.
    Then, from settings, I select "about Phone". At the bottom, it says, "Android version 2.2"
    Am I still missing something fundamental?

Michael

9. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yes, you are missing something fundamental. It says Android version 2.2 because it is Android version 2.2. ROMs are all based on Android 2.2 (or from source, but the same source that was tagged as version 2.2). The ROM version is != the AndroidOS version.

You can try to find a 2.1-based ROM if you want, but chances are it's not going to be very good - developers just aren't working on 2.1 anymore.

10. mpderksen

mpderksen New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone for the help and clarification.

Michael

11. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    There's no problem rooting 2.2 -- in fact, there's a link in my Sig about it.

12. Banksy

Banksy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did I ever say there was? My droid was on 2.2 FRG22D before I even heard about rooting. So of course I know yo can root 2.2...

13. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I find it hard to understand why people are having an issue with stock 2.2. I still have my D1 and I see no issues. A suggestion to go back to 2.1 and using task killers is not, IMHO a good suggestion at all.

If you want to root by all means do. But the majority of us will recommend 2.2 heck with 2.1 you don't even get Bluetooth Dialing, unless its built into the ROM.

14. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    My apologies, Bansky, I misread what you'd said. I thought you'd said "you can't root" instead of "you can root".

Question, though. Have you even tried any of the recent 2.2-based ROMs? They've come a long way since the hacked leaks that were all the rage before the AOSP repository got updated. :) There's stuff you can do on CyanogenMod 6 nightlies that are just awesome without giving up any of the stock feel, and if you REALLY want out there you can check out MIUI and the Sense ROM.

15. Banksy

Banksy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No I haven't, I had a terrible time with stock 2.2 before rooting my droid. The one thing that I love about 2.1 is the battery life with task killers. But to get Away from that point, there were other things that I didn't like about 2.2 like not being able to turn all sound off with the volume button, and having to go all the way to the settings and manually turn it off. (Which I'm sure a 2.2 rom fixed that)

For that I went to 2.1 roms, and I am going to play around with cyanogenmod 5.0.8 first and MAYBE GO TO 2.2 :)