Simultaneous Data/Voice over 3G

razor2006

Reaction score
So I got to thinking, and I was curious how simultaneous data/voice connectivity is achieved with the TB. Surely there aren't two radios in the device? Moreso, if this is a hardware/software difference, wouldn't Big Red want to include this in all their devices? Hmmm.

techguru

Reaction score
Actually, there are two radios in the TB. This won't be how they do it with later devices that will do voice over LTE, but is exactly how it will work on the TB

OP
razor2006

razor2006

Reaction score
No kidding. Wonder how that will impact battery life. Will both radios be on at all times, or only when needed? I'd have to think they'd be on at all times because I don't forsee a radio coming up from being off in a timely fashion to operate sensibly.

Raptor007

Reaction score
There were a lot of blogs posting on the feature of Voice/Data over 3G on the TB, but Verizon Sales reps were told NOT to mention it as a key selling point.

"The mention suggests not only that the Thunderbolt is Verizon's first phone to support SVDO (Simultaneous Voice and Data Optimized) but that the carrier has been quietly implementing the technology on its network. While it doesn't require as radical a shift as moving to 4G, SVDO usually needs to be rolled out and tested on the network before it's given approval. It may alternately be the briefly rumored VORA (Voice Over Rev A), which would put both the calls and the data on 3G." Here is one link to an article about it.

Read more: HTC Thunderbolt has hidden simultaneous 3G voice and data | Electronista