Simply Stunning now with WEIRDNESS - HELP!

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by romiir, Mar 19, 2011.

1. romiir

romiir Member

Ratings:
    +0
    edit: Original issue with digitizer resolved. You can ignore the rest of this post and jump to my current problem with the clear notifications button here. (or just scroll down since that link will open a new window/tab)

---------------------------------------
    I've been a long time user of SS, and I was really really happy with 5.0. It was running great since release, till today.

Today for some reason my phone is acting like the digitizer is broken. My status bar likes to jump all over the place, when i open a list and try to scroll through it it jumps all over the place. Earlier I pulled my battery and let the phone cool down for 5 minutes since it had been up for months, and this seemed to fix the issue for a few minutes, but then it returned. I just updated to 5.1 a few minutes ago and my issue still remains, it took me over 20 tries to add a widget to my desktop. (couldn't click on it, clicked wrong thing, went crazy going all over the place, etc)

However I do not believe its a hardware problem, I was able to open "draw" on my phone and I could draw straight lines, curved lines, etc, no problems.

So what the heck just happened? I've not changed any software since the day I put 5.0 on the phone, and the phone hasn't been damaged in anyway.

Hardware is an original Motorola droid. A855

I'm up for trying anything and I would like to hear your ideas or know if anyone else has had this happen and figured out a fix?

When I slide my phone open, it works a lot better. But it still acts weird. When its not slid open I am lucky if I can even change home screens.

Update: Now when the digitizer is acting funny it also acts funny in draw, drawing lines from areas i am not touching, etc

If I power off the phone or lock it for a bit and unlock it works correctly for a few seconds, then the digitizer becomes erratic again.

#1 romiir, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. 13th angel

13th angel Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    Try doing a data/cache wipe and reinstalling your programs. If that doesn't help I would think its hardware.....

Sent from my RubiXed D2G

3. VingInMedina

VingInMedina Member

Ratings:
    +1
    How does the phone act when you are in recovery? It it is working ok there, try restoring the backup you made before installing 5.1. You made a backup, right?

If it is acting all strange in recovery or it continues to act strange after restoring, I would agree that it is probably a hardware issue.

4. estafusisx

estafusisx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My phone does that when it's on a non-moto charger

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

5. romiir

romiir Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Phone acts fine in recovery (you don't use the touch screen in sprecovery), issue occurred today with 5.0, but because it would go away for a few minutes after a cool down or if i leave it locked for a bit, I decided to try 5.1 and see if it made any change.

The behavior is the same....

and of course I have backups, I have a backup of the original pre-froyo os too. I may end up restoring it after backing up 5.1 to see if it acts the same, if it does it is probably the digitizer I am guessing.

Its the intermittent quality of it that makes me think its software though.

I'm also wondering if the ribbon cable is going bad...

Can any of you vouch for a vendor that offers replacement digitizers for the A855? I read on these forums that there is a lot of fakes going around on ebay.

I have insurance on it, but I don't really want to give up my phone, its setup exactly how I want it. And a few days after SS 5.0 release up till today it was running FAST and great.

I looked at the tear down video for the A855 and I am horrified though, those things attached with adhesive never go back on correctly... =[

6. romiir

romiir Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, great news guys, I think my hardware is ok, per an above suggestion, I formatted the CACHE partition, and this seems to have resolved it!

ITS WORKING!!!! I think...

If the issue returns, you will hear about it in this thread.

Anyways, now that I can make phone calls again, I'd still like to know if anyone can vouch for a place that has reasonably priced digitizers.

(I still want to replace the digitizer eventually cause my screen has some scratches, I was told the gorilla glass was non scratch-able and i should have got a screen protector like i did for my apple products)

7. romiir

romiir Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok the only thing weird now is:

My clear notifications button doesn't work when the phone is held upright.. if I hold it upside down or sideways it works fine.

It's not the digitizer because I can click the microphone button thats in the same spot with the search widget... Something weird is going on here software side...

It worked in 5.0, but not in 5.1...

draw confirms my touchscreen is working properly now (after the cache wipe), also the microphone button on the google search widget works fine when the phone is upright...

edit:
    the system acts like i am not pressing the button, if i rotate the device the button changes blue when i hold my finger on it, and changes back when i slide off, but playing with it up right i can't seem to select the button...

edit2:
    cleared dalvik cache too, no change. for some reason my clear notifications button just doesn't work when the device is upright, everything else seems to be in order though...

ideas?

#7 romiir, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  8. 13th angel

13th angel Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    Seems like the screen is going out in that area. Does it work when doing anything else in that same area?

Sent from my RubiXed D2G

9. romiir

romiir Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That has been my final conclusion as well, other buttons in the same spot work, but I think the clear button is in exactly the spot thats not working, while other buttons are a bit bigger and allow me to press due to overlap into a working area of the digitizer...

Wiping the cache fixed the funky glichyness completely though. My phone is totally useable until the new parts get here.. :)

I have a new digitizer on order, going to replace it.

Also my screen doesn't rotate in the car cradle on 5.1, I know this was an issue that was fixed in 5.0... But it seems to be an issue again.

If I don't get a reply about the car rotation soon I'll just start a new thread about that, and I'll keep this thread updated when my new digitizer gets here, I expect it to resolve the other issues completely.

10. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Glad you figured out the issues - also cardock rotation will be fixed again in 5.2, not sure how it got missed!!

11. romiir

romiir Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yay, finally a problem that's not mine alone! It was just a minor irritation, I ended up opening my keyboard just a bit to get it to rotate in the mean time, at first i spun it 90 degrees, but i really don't like that orientation...

Thank you chevyno1 for all your hard work, if I wasn't also out of a job right now you would be a bit richer.

12. romiir

romiir Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, it took a long time, I had to special order some JIS screw drivers, but hey, it's replaced, and working great now. =]

Search tags for this page
how to tell if a cell phone digitizer is bad
what caused a smart phone digitizer to go crazy?

what causes a digitizer to go bad

what causes cell phone digitizer to fail
what causes the digitizer on a cell phone to go bad
why do digitizers go bad
why do phone digitizers fail