1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Simply Stunning 2.2 ESE53 2.1 - (3/24/2010) - Helix Launchers 2D/3D - New Kernels

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by ChevyNo1, Mar 25, 2010.

1. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Simply Stunning v2.2 ESE53 2.1 - (3/25/2010) - Helix Launchers 2D/3D - New Kernels

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What's New - This IS a 2.1 ROM

1. Includes 2.0.1 7-screen Helix Launcher (credit to arctu, slight re-theme credit to ChevyNo1; defaulted to 5 screens)
    2. Includes 2.1 7-screen Helix Launcher2 (credit to arctu, slight re-theme credit to ChevyNo1; defaulted to 5 screens)
    3. Certain apps (Google/Facebook/Pandora) removed - can be downloaded from the market, also as themed versions below
    4. All busybox commands properly linked
    5. Kernels now includes TUN
    6. Modified framework to work with PulldownEditor
    7. Nexus LWP will be less intensive on the CPU, which means less heat (cuts cpu usage almost in half; credit to ReverendYo/ChevyNo1)
    8. Including options for different colors on Nexus LWP
    9. Starfield wallpaper is also gone, as it was previously in /system
    10. Now including a /data partition in the nandroid. This allows for once-and-for-all cleanup of any nagging Maps issues, as well as to include a couple of apps
    11. Apps now included are the Wifi-Tether app pre8, and ConnectBot (this is your terminal access to your Droid).

To Wipe Or Not To Wipe

If you are coming from 2.0.1, you MUST data wipe - if you do not, you WILL have problems. If you are coming from any of my 2.1 ROMS (2.x versions) you should be OK without wiping. However, a few notes about this version (2.2):

1. Facebook/Maps/Pandora is now removed from /system. This means if you are running a previous version of my ROM and any/all of these are still in /system, you will have files stranded in /data when you flash this ROM. This only seems to be a problem with Maps; the other two seem to still be able to be installed from the market. There is a process documented to resolve the maps issue. Right at the top of this page. Maps will now prompt you to login, and you should get an alert in your notification bar. If your browser cannot lock into your location, go into Settings -> Location -> Use Wireless Networks - the browser relies on cell towers and not GPS.

2. If you do choose to NOT wipe, simply de-select the data partition when entering the Advanced Restore menu in SPRecovery. This does mean you will not get the Helix Launchers, but they can be installed from the market.

3. If the kernel is a problem, you will get stuck on the 'M' while booting up. In this case, flash a lower kernel AFTER the ROM.

This build comes with the 1.0Ghz low voltage kernel; you can change that if you wish with the kernels I've also listed. If you do NOT want to lose the current kernel you are running, simply de-select the boot partition in the Advanced Nandroid Restore menu.

Simply Stunning v2.2 Nandroid
    Stock Theme Patcher (update.zip) - Will revert to 3-screen Launcher as well

Additional Kernels (update.zip format):

All My Other Kernels

Nexus Live Wallpaper Color Options (update.zip format):

Nexus Blue
    Nexus Red
    Nexus Green
    Nexus Original

Nandroid Installation Instructions:

-It is strongly suggested to nandroid-backup your current ROM before doing anything!
    -Extract the files from the archive using WinRAR or a similar program
    -Place the extracted folder (the ROM) into the "nandroid" folder on your sdcard
    -Reboot into recovery mode
    -Backup/Restore
    -Advanced Nandroid Restore
    -Choose backup (select the ROM)
    -Perform Restore
    -Done!

If you de-select the data /partition in Advanced Nandroid Restore, your data is safe and will not be touched!

Base:

ESE53

What's Inside the Box:

-Overclocked Kernel with five slots allows clocking of 125-1000 MHz in mixed steps (credit to ChevyNo1)
    - Check the 'other kernels' link if you want a different speed, or a 10-slot kernel
    - Supports TempMonitor
    - The base 1.0G kernel has NO voltage increase over stock
    - Helix2 3D launcher is rock solid for me
    - These kernels ALSO include the STOCK 550Mhz slot, and the kernels DEFAULT to that speed, until you use an app like SetCPU.

-2.0.1 7-screen Helix Launcher (credit to arctu, slight re-theme credit to ChevyNo1; defaulted to 5 screens)
    -2.1 7-screen Helix Launcher2 (credit to arctu, slight re-theme credit to ChevyNo1; defaulted to 5 screens)
    - Corporate Calendar
    -2.1 Desk Clock
    -2.1 Keyboard with voice input
    -2.1 Gallery 3D, MultiTouch
    -2.1 Music App
    -2.1 Glassed News and Weather App (credit to ChevyNo1)
    -2.1 Optimized Live Wallpapers (less CPU usage = less heat)
    -2.0.1 5-screen Launcher (credit to xeudoxus)
    -HQ YouTube Default Tweak (credit to xeudoxus)
    -HQ Video Recording Tweak (credit to Fede)
    -Version Information In Settings > About Phone
    -Disabled OTA Updates
    -Disabled default ring delay of 3 seconds (credit to ChevyNo1)
    -*Battery Saver* Wifi Scans Increased to 30 seconds (credit to ChevyNo1)
    -Version Information In Settings > About Phone
    -Completely Deodexed System (meaning easily customizable)
    -SuperUser App
    -Flash Image
    -Busybox

-Added commands sysrw/sysro for mounting /system read/write or readonly. Also note that sysro remounts read only AND performs the sync for you

-Added new Linux commands that I sorely missed:

more
    head
    tail
    which
    cp
    grep
    find
    awk
    sed
    less
    wc

Cleaned/linked the following commands which unnecessarily eat up 10MB of /system:

ash
    chmod
    clear
    cp
    dd
    ifconfig
    kill
    printenv
    traceroute
    unzip
    vconfig
    vi
    who
    whoami

Removed:

-Camera Shutter Sound
    -Video Recording Sound (credit to ChevyNo1)

Theme:

-Smoked Glass Blue (credit to AdamZ modified by ChevyNo1)
    -Added custom status bar icons (credit to blake2050@droidforums)
    -Added extra custom status bar icons (credit to mjones1052@droidforums)
    -Progress bars changed to match blue theme (credit to ChevyNo1)
    -Clear push-icons on desktop (credit to ReverendYo - skinned from Alldroid community ROM)
    -White Clock (credit to Ohsaka)

Recommended Apps:

SetCPU - not included as it is a paid Market app

Glassed Facebook (credit to ChevyNo1) - update.zip - may cause future update issues
    Glassed Pandora (credit to ChevyNo1) - update.zip - may cause future update issues

Bugs:

-Sometimes the auto-brightness does not work if your phone has just rebooted. Simply pressing the power button twice will fix it.
    -In the pulldown, the music information is still black, making it hard to read - working on this

Disclaimer:

This is an overclock ROM, therefore if you're not careful, you'll do damage. I am not responsible for any such damage, you use this of your own free will.

Enjoy, and feedback is always welcome - bugs included
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. JonKyu

JonKyu Beta Team

ooooooh awesome job my friend :D
  3. ChevyNo1

Ha ha don't say that until it works ;)

And I'm heading off to sleep .. so will check back in a few hours
  4. sportadic22

sportadic22 New Member

im still on 2.0.2 loving it.. no issues. ill move to 2.2 after people start replying to it :)
  5. pullmehome

pullmehome New Member

I am downloading now might not install it tonight as I am tired, but I'll posy my results on how its working when I get around to installing tonight or tomorrow.
  6. myz06vette

myz06vette New Member

Welllll dang. I was going to bed a little early tonight. Buttttttt now I have an excuse to stay up. Will post back update when installed.
  7. myz06vette

myz06vette New Member

Just flashed. Unchecked /data and /boot in the advanced nandroid restore. Also used the new 1.25ghz medium volt kernel. Sat on the red eye in boot animation for several minutes. Screen even dimmed. Then it booted fine - no Moto logo.

As for Facebook and Maps -- (since I unchecked /data)
    Firs thing that happened when I unlocked screen was a force close message about facebook. Tried launching app and it came up fine. Maps opened up fine on first try - still on previously updated 4.1 version.

Helix launcher was still 2.0.1 style without 3D app drawer because that's what I had previously installed. Went to market and downloaded 2.1 3D style (after uninstalling v1.2a). Had to set up all 5 home screens again, but works smooth - no force closes or crashes. Even works perfectly in landscape (can see last row of icons.. smooth scrolling, etc.).

Got it running at 1.25ghz - runs great like before.

Did some tests -
    Linpack was 10.531 - decently less than before install.
    Short bench was 154ms.

These stats lead me to believe I'll have to re-enable JIT because they are consistent with what I was getting before enabling it when I was on previous v2.0.3. No big deal - its an update.zip install. See sig for stats with JIT enabled.

Overall, great so far. No complaints. Will post back if any problems arise. Curious to see if bluetooth problems are eliminated in this release (random restarts when paired and streaming music).

Good work my friend. More beer in route!
  8. myz06vette

myz06vette New Member

Problem -

Gallery still not working. I get force close (cooliris.media) every time. Even when trying to create a picture frame widget. Never was able to resolve this while on 2.0.3 and its still plaguing me! I need my gallery! :(

Edit: Starfield live wallpaper also uninstalled itself.

Edit2: As I suspected, I reinstalled JIT via update.zip and stats went back up.
    Linpack with JIT: 12.038
    Short Bench with JIT: 130ms
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  9. grinchy

grinchy New Member

where did you get JIT?
  10. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Just installed, deselected the data portion as I have a lot of configurations I'd have to redo if I wiped and I figured if I had issues I could always go back and do a complete restore with a wipe first.

Anyway....everything is working.....Facebook, Map, Gallery......everything. And major bonus for me not having to reconfigure/re-download all my stuff :)

Linpack speed has decreased slightly....typically was getting 8.4-8.5 (1ghz). Now it maxes around 8.3. Not a big deal...just interesting.
  11. topaz330

topaz330 New Member

love it, smoothes rom to run helix IMO. running into a problem with facebook though. it won't let me install. when i dl from the market it states incompatible version when i try to install. anyone experience this?
  12. searayman

searayman New Member

the low voltage kernels were these in the last 2.03 version? If not will this significantly increase battery life?

How is battery on this for those using it?
  13. JayCizzo

JayCizzo New Member

Subscribed. Of course I finally get 2.0.3 working brilliantly and you come out with a new update. :p
  14. ChevyNo1

Yes, I added a note about starfield - it was previously in /system and I am cleaning up any thing that was put there before .. can be downloaded via market though.

As far as your gallery - I have never had it close on me. Have you tried cleaning your SD card out?
  15. ChevyNo1

Hmmm, I had tested this scenario and didn't get this problem. Go into applications, filter to show all ... look for facebook/katana in the list and uninstall. It should install from the market then.
  16. ChevyNo1

As noted in the kernel thread - 2.0.3 were medium-voltage kernels. This one now comes with a 1.0G low-V kernel
  17. cfi on the fly

cfi on the fly New Member

Downloaded and installed . Running very smooth and every thing works except getting log in fail message randomly in maps.
  18. ChevyNo1

Cool :) There should be a prompt in your notification area to 'allow login' ... this is new with the latest version of maps.
  19. CatFishDom

CatFishDom New Member

When I open my browser it tells me my location kid unavailable. Google maps works great it is just the browser. Any ideas?
  20. cfi on the fly

cfi on the fly New Member

Not getting a prompt in notification bar. The message quickly goes away and tries to determine my location . Seems to take a long time to find position but then maps works fine. Until i close and then reopen and it happens again.
Search tags for this page
simply stuning v.2.2

simply stunning 2.2

simply stunning 2.2 issues
simply stunning zip
stunning 3d launchers