Simple Root Method

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well ladies and gentleman, the nexus is out. What this means is their have already been and will be many more threads about rooting the nexus. So after reading a couple dozen of these threads something has kind of boggled my mind.

First before we get into that id like to kind of introduce myself. Some of you know me, some of you dont, for those who dont just to summarize real quick...I have been an active member in this community since April 7, 2010. I started out noob and have become somewhat of a knowledgeable guy regarding the D1 and rooting. I have a Xoom which is unrooted but sooner or later im going to give that a go as well. Im no dev, but im closest one gets without being there (taken a couple c classes but nothing in java yet). I would like to think i hve some rep on this site. :) (rep means shielding from these kinds of rants:happy3:) and To kind of get back on topic out of the intro this is not a question thread about rooting, its more of a statement.

The Galaxy Nexus is a $300 VZ phone, more like $500+ buying it off contract. Separate statement: Ive seen a couple threads asking about one click root methods like z4. The simple one click root method i seem to be seeing people act like its a blackeye or something. "just unlock the boot loader and you can have root" "current methods are already easy, no reason for devs to reinvent the wheel when they can just unlock the bootloader" ... I keep seeing it over and over. Reinvent the wheel? arg... driving me crazy lately. A simple root without violating warranty is not reinventing the wheel, its adding to it. Its not like if you have root then suddenly the boot loader is unlocked. Root and boot-loader are different things... one can be used to achieve another (root can be achieved easily from an unlocked boot) but that is where i think the problem is. To put it simply some people are violating their warranties for a thing they don't really intend to...
Benefits from a simple root method are root level apps such as titanium backup and setcpu. I realize setcpu probably wont run the best without a custom kernel but that is better then nothing. Many apps actually have options to do extra stuff if you have root. And root is something that shouldn't be fought over, imagine if you went out and bought a windows pc without the ability to access administrative privileges? :icon_ devil:

Now unlocking boot-loader, that gives you a kernel and other goods but comes with the big voided warranty. Even if you return that thing to stock, and it works flawlessly but then a month later the screen goes out for some random reason....the warranty is still void. To connect the dots in those seemingly unrelated statements up there, their could be a $300 phone that is now useless because why? Oh...because it was just easier to unlock the boot-loader and apply root then seeking out a vulnerability.... and im not saying that VZ might still honor it or might not but the fact is it is void. All because titanium backup and other apps that require root privileges that we should have in the first place. But to make an obvious statement now, its not reinventing the wheel to find an exploit and offer people this simple benefit to people who arn't looking to do anything beyond that.

If i had one wish i could ask for people on how to take in this thread it wouldn't be that to take offense to, it would simply be take it to the smart dev minds and do something about it. Their is a clear market for exploits here. In fact i think it would make me feel a lot happier to steer the newbies into a simple root direction more then the full on OEM unlock just to do a miniscule task. Why void warranties for no reason? I like giving the best possible answer to people whom i advise on these forums and right now i'm stuck in limbo because that advice would be not to unlock... A non boot unlock root would be the best possible advice for most but somehow we are stuck on a full unlock root.

Anyway sorry for the rant here guys, this is just my way of reaching out and hoping one of the smart devs will see and do something. Im probably going to post this up in XDA as well just for kicks but i hope i made my point. please feel free to comment or complain at me below. :happy3:

Btw read this: it was my chat with sammy chat. im not sure if she was refering to the gsm or lte version of nexus but it still changes nothing. VZ may honor it but technically they dont have to(not sure if they will or not).

Code:
Chat Information Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Monica'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Chat Information Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK5640478064X

[COLOR=#b22222]Monica: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?[/COLOR]

spock: I just have a quick question

[COLOR=#b22222]Monica: Please go ahead with your query.[/COLOR]

spock: My question has to do with warranty, the galaxy nexus an an unlocked bootloade. I know on motorola xooms they will still honor warrenty if its an obvious hardware fault even if bootloader is unlocked....is this the same with the nexus?
[COLOR=#b22222]
Monica: I understand that you are facing an issue with the bootloader unlock on your Nexus device, am I correct?[/COLOR]

spock: Im not having a difficulty unlocking or anything, thats a simple process. i'm just trying to figure out the facts before i do. Warranty info is more what my question pertains to.
[COLOR=#b22222]
Monica: Thank you for correcting me.

Monica: Let me explain you in this regard.

Monica: If the bootloader is unlocked by the third-party software then the device will not be covered under warranty.[/COLOR]

spock: if it is relocked then is the warranty returned? Also just to clarify If i unlock the boot loader and i have a problem with the device that has nothing to do with that (like if the screen magically goes out or something odd like that) then i couldn't return it via warranty?

[COLOR=#b22222]Monica: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.[/COLOR]

spock: please take your time.
[COLOR=#b22222]
Monica: Once the device is flashed or if you have made any changes to the stock firmware the phone will lose its warranty and it could not be returned under warranty, though the issue might be with any either applications or settings on the phone.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#b22222]
Monica: I am afraid that we are going to lose connection. Please respond.[/COLOR]

spock: sorry im responding

spock: im slow typer

spock: another question coming
[COLOR=#b22222]
Monica: Thank you for responding.

Monica: Please go ahead with your question.
[/COLOR]
spock: Their is a process that can be done with a phone that completely takes the phone back to stock, it locks the boot loader and everything just like the factory. If i do that then the warranty is still void?

spock: Also all warranty claims are through Verizon right?

[COLOR=#b22222]Monica: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.

Monica: I am sorry though you are trying to revert the phone back to factory Default, once the device is flashed it will not covered under warranty and the warranty will be provided by the Samsung. However, for further information please contact Our Voice Support Team for further assistance.[/COLOR]

[SUB][/SUB]

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I see your point regarding the need (rather desire) for a one-click root method. Unlocking the boot loader gives many, such as myself, added features that they desire, far beyond that of simple root.

However, some simply want to make backups and have access to root apps and files. I'm sure with this dev community one will come out sooner or later.

The only issue I see is that many who take the one click root shortcuts are the ones that run into problems more often. If there's a long set of detailed instructions, it actually requires someone to put in some thought and do the unthinkable. Read.

I'm in no way putting down one click rooters or trying to lump them all in one category so I apologize if I came across as such.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I see your point regarding the need (rather desire) for a one-click root method. Unlocking the boot loader gives many, such as myself, added features that they desire, far beyond that of simple root.

However, some simply want to make backups and have access to root apps and files. I'm sure with this dev community one will come out sooner or later.

The only issue I see is that many who take the one click root shortcuts are the ones that run into problems more often. If there's a long set of detailed instructions, it actually requires someone to put in some thought and do the unthinkable. Read.

I'm in no way putting down one click rooters or trying to lump them all in one category so I apologize if I came across as such.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
I get what you mean, i say one click root method because thats usually the thing that applys just a simple root. Lol, id gladly love a dev if they came up with a way to do this with a list of instructions...thats cool to.
The developers need that boot-loader unlocked, which is precious...but non devs, who are just wanting root are just being hammered right now. :frown: i hope most of them are waiting for a just root method, i think they will comeout when ICS comes to other devices which makes those devs have to exploit which in turn i think will show the nexus devs the exploits. Thats what im hoping for at least, i just keep getting the vague impression though that no one is working on it. Its kinda frustrating.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Woah... is it really you money? Where have you been? ;)

I kinda agree with what you're saying and kinda no. I think on this particular phone, there are more people that want to unlock the BL over a simple root. It would be nice to have for some but they can sometimes lead to lazys who thought rooting was a "nice idea" then bricked and come to this forum without even doing a simple Google search.
I think someone will probably make an easy root but its not going to affect me, I wanted the unlocked boot loader! :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Woah... is it really you money? Where have you been? ;)

I kinda agree with what you're saying and kinda no. I think on this particular phone, there are more people that want to unlock the BL over a simple root. It would be nice to have for some but they can sometimes lead to lazys who thought rooting was a "nice idea" then bricked and come to this forum without even doing a simple Google search.
I think someone will probably make an easy root but its not going to affect me, I wanted the unlocked boot loader! :)

Lol, i have not been on a lot since i got the nexus. i guess with winter break ive been out with friends doing stuff more then stuck at school with a computer in front of me. my liver loves me on Christmas break. :D
And rofl, i see what your saying but id have to disagree. Clearly we are talking about the stereotypical uniformed user here... which would mean they would have had to do a google search to get to this site which probably contained their brick like problem. (i dont think this phone can be bricked though, since you could just flash it back to stock.) So therefore it would be highly unlikely that they discovered the forum without searching through a search engine... Not to mention the flaw in the lazy here... lol. Both sides can be seen. Its lazy of us to say google the problem when we could simply answer it but its also lazy for them not to already do a google search. My opinion in that though is if they make it to me (they go as far as posting it in the boards) then ill gladly answer the problem without complaint (if everyone knew everything we wouldn't need "these here" forum boards).
And i know you see an unlocked boot loader, but i see my replacement phone gone.... and i usually go through a couple. Buying another outright isnt going to happen so logically not voiding warrenty is the right move. :happy3:

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Agreed. . . On the point that they did have to do a search. But they don't look for an answer or anything. I've seen so many threads about just being stuck in a BL etc what do I do. When there are posts in a sticky right above them... ;) I was super excited for the UL BL ... I definitely see where you're coming from on insurance though. I'm always afraid of that too. I've had my DX for a year and a half, no problems at all, I even went out of the country. But the way I look at it, is, either its going to be unrelated to the rooting and ULing so I can unroot and lock, or the problem is going to be such a big one that they may not be able to tell if you root unlocked etc... :). Just get an Otterbox! :D. That way you don't have to worry about anything! ;)