Simple Question about the Droid eye bootanimation

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by ohioDroid, May 14, 2010.

1. ohioDroid

ohioDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I might be crazy and seeing things, I don't know.

I've seen Droids running 2.0.1 stock and 2.1 stock, I've seen them both boot up and I have this crazy suspicion that the bootanimation is slightly different between the too.

I didn't get a copy of the bootanimation off my phone before the update so I'm not sure.

To me, it looks as though the circuitry around the eye is slightly different. Like, bigger on the 2.1 version.

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I remember people saying that there is a slight difference like what you describe.

3. ohioDroid

ohioDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1) Yay, I'm not crazy!

2) Does anyone have a copy of both bootanimations?

4. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    lol. :)

5. ohioDroid

ohioDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, I got a copy of the 'old' bootanimation. Does anyone have the 'new' one from 2.1?

I think you could pull it off the phone when hooked to your computer doing something along the lines of:

Code:
    adb shell
    mount -o remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    exit
    adb  pull /system/media/bootanimation.zip
    But my phone currently has the 'old' one so trying that for me won't yield results.

6. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    You could pull it from a stock ESE81 update.zip http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html <-- one is found in the first post there. I would link directly to it, but I don't like linking directly to large downloads. My internet is acting strange right now (they tend to do late night/early morning maintenance), so I can't download it to upload it alone unfortunately.

E2A : Actually http://www.droidforums.net/forum/team-chaos/44650-official-boot-animation-thread-team-chaos.html <-- may be the last one there.

7. tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i have noticed that also but didnt click till i read this haha

8. ohioDroid

ohioDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The reason I bring this thing up is because I just rooted. When I first got the 2.1 update however long ago, I noticed a difference but forgot. I just now rooted 2.1 using THAT thread, and noticed a change in the bootanimation. I'm fairly sure their rooted 2.1 uses the 'old' boot animation. That's why I wanted both, to see which one I had and to use the cooler looking one.

The Team Chaos thread also seems to be the old boot animation. The way I can tell is you see less circuitry around the eye, it looks more like an eye sitting alone in space than being mounted on something.

Going with the idea of extracting from an update.zip, I downloaded the OTA 2.1 update from Google and looked through the package, but couldn't find anything obviously name bootanimation.zip, so it must be packed into some other file.

#8 ohioDroid, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010