Simple poll question

How do you feel about Verizon removing the tethering apps from the Android market?

• Good move!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad move!

• I can live with or without it.

• What's tethering?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Simple poll question regarding free tethering apps

Do you think Verizon removing the free tethering applications from the Android market for Verizon smartphones is a result of too many rooted LTE users overloading the network through the usage of tethering applications?

Edit:
I hate having to edit post, but I thought that the word free and a more descriptive title should be added because it seems for many that only free tethering applications have been removed.

OP
L

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Internet service providers don't charge me per device connecting through my router to the internet, so why should this situation be any different.

However, I understand that Verizon didn't design their wireless infrastructure to replace home internet for only $30 a month. So with that being said, I can live with it or without.

Reaction score
Its in their ToS that the unlimited data is meant for your device only, and you and I and everyone else signed it.

Ill keep my opinions to myself, but I tether a few days a week, and my data usage rarely passes 2 gigs, and has never passed 3 gigs per month.

And verizon could easily be doing it for all the LTE users replacing their home broadband with their phone.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

badmeat

Reaction score
I'm still seeing all of the wireless tether apps available in the market...

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Reaction score

I'm on verizon, and wireless tether for root users is invisible to me. Its on the market, but only for other carriers.

Barnacle tether is still available as of april 29th 335pm.

sidsixseven

Reaction score
I will say that I really dislike the people who abuse tethering and basically use it as the primary means of internet access. The reason is that there really is only so much bandwidth to go around, so their abuse has a negative impact on me.

Worse, Verizon (and other carriers) actively take steps to prevent it. Why do you think VZW and AT&T want locked and encrypted bootloaders so badly. It's the free mobile hotspots that they dislike and want to prevent.

The net impact is that as the abusers take advantage, us non-abusers end up getting the shaft as the carriers react to it. Locked bootloaders, throttling, tiered pricing -- these are all direct impacts caused by people who abuse one feature of these phones.

All that said, this type of change to the market does absolutely nothing.

The reality is that with rooting and the ability to download .apk files directly from other places, anything VZW does short of changing how your data plan works is easily circumvented. Even with Verizon's stance right now, there is no reason that I'm aware of that these devs couldn't put it on the Amazon App store or directly on their own website.

And since I would rather not lose the freedom to root and access to download from 3rd party sites -- I wish people would stop abusing the privilege and ruining it for everyone else.

Immolate

Reaction score
I pay for the hot spot, so it matters not to me unless some aspect of our phones get nerfed as a result of tether abuse.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Kind of a trick question there... I dont care either way I guess. I mean, it doesn't affect me me at all because I'm rooted and tether when I absolutely need to (and it did save the day a few times). however, it is there policy as a business so if I were them I would remove it.

Guerrero59

Reaction score
Only bad because I don't feel a single carrier should have so much power over GOOGLE's Market. The apps do come in handy and I feel the number of customers that actually use it for their only internet source is a rather small percentage....

Hateslinger

Reaction score
The max time any rooted should tether is between 2 - 4 hours. What non rooted users don't understand, is our phones get Cooking after tethering for a while. Mine can get up to 110 degrees Fahrenheit before I decide to shut it down.

I rarely use it and only when I need to. Can rooted users please comment on how hot their phone gets while tethering?

Sent from Verizon in Phoenix, AZ, running a rooted Thunderbolt, with Lightning Rom v3.3.1 / Minimalistic Extreme Kernel

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't care about tethering. Don't care if people tether. I do however believe there is a point of taking advantage of a situation, and I'm talking about the people who's ONLY internet is their wifi hotspot. Now if you're running your computer off of it, that's where you cross the line.

Just my opinion, YMMV and probably will.

OP
L

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
^^Well I think tier pricing for data plans will eliminate those type of users.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Same here. I don't care about Tethering. I used it once or twice with my Droid 1 when I was on an IT repair job and didn't have WiFi. I can see how Verizon wants to stop those users from tethering 160+GB, so I think this is good. Rather than move to tiered data, start doing stuff like this. Yeah, you guys pay for $30 for unlimited 3G/4G but that's on your PHONE. The infrastructure for wireless data for your phone is simple, you can't download that much. Now tethering with a PC, you're going to have 10x+ data which is 10x stress on the 3g/4g networks. That's why they're limiting and charging more for tethering. I'll gladly pay for tethering even if I only use it a little. $20 is nothing when I'm working 2 jobs and need a feature like this.

My main concern is, if I'm paying for tethering, I'd like to use my own tethering app, but ultimately, I'm paying to use Verizon's service, so if they want me to use their tethering app, OK, Fine.

Hateslinger - I've tethered for about 2 mins on my Thunderbolt and it didn't get hot hot, but didn't have enough time to. On my Droid 1, it would get to 45C easy just by tethering websites lightly.

badmeat

Reaction score

I'm on verizon, and wireless tether for root users is invisible to me. Its on the market, but only for other carriers.

Barnacle tether is still available as of april 29th 335pm.

They're all available to me...and I'm on Verizon...?

tc3

Reaction score
Not available to me either.

I don't really have a need to tether but it is b.s for Verizon to try to double charge you for data.