Simple Noob Droid Question(s)...Right?

DroidNog

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm trying to get help on what must be simple questions but I can't find answers to them :/

1) When the phone dims out to save energy, the only way I can get it back "on" is to press the power button up top. Are there any other options?

I was hoping you could just touch the screen again to wake it up, but I assume this isn't done because keeping it in your pocket would potentially be turning it on all the time and kill the battery? Or are there other options?

Also, since I have the pattern security tracing enabled, I have to do that on top of the button each time, and when using maps, etc. it can be frustrating that it turns off so fast.

2) Is there any way to delete the pre-installed applications like Amazon MP3, etc?

When I go into remove applications, it tells me there are no third party ones...because my phone is brand new. But can I uninstall some of the preinstalled apps?

3) This seems like a real NOOB one, but when I'm on the phone, how can I end the call when the phone has dimmed (locked) since there is no End Call button?!?

I have to press the power button, unlock the phone, bring up the phone app (sometimes it isn't up) and then end the call. Really?

I'm sure once I get past these common noob annoyances, I'll love this phone to the fullest!

Thanks in advance for answering my silly questions.

bomber889

Reaction score
1) You can adjust the settings to make the screen timeout longer.
2) Go into settings, applications, and manage applications. There you can choose which applications you want to uninstall.
3) Usually, the screen should power back on if you take the phone away from your ear/cheek.

Chilazr

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! Don't worry about dumb questions, we've all been new to our phones at some point and had all these questions. I'll see if I can help with these issues.
1. Yeah, it does that. If you turn off your security lock, then it's not such a pain. You can also adjust how long it takes the phone to dim the screen in Settings>Sound and Display settings. It's all the way at the bottom.

2. I don't think you delete those programs without accessing your root directory. That takes some know-how that I don't have, nor want to try, since accessing those files on your phone void your warranty. But if they bug you that much, or if you just want complete control of your phone and don't care about warranties, you can find a plethora of threads about "rooting" just search that term and an abundance of knowledge shall be yours.

5 (Three, Sire! 3). Your phone goes dim when you're on a call only when it's close to your face, or when you have the light sensors blocked. That's so you don't activate anything you don't want to with your cheek or something. You shouldn't have to "unlock" it again. Give it a second to recognize that it's not up to your ear anymore and the screen should turn back on.

I hope that helped. If you have any more questions, these forums are a veritable cache of knowledge and advice. If there is a chance you can't find the answer to a question you have simply by using the search function, feel free to start a new thread, just like you did.
There are plenty of people giving advice on the most complex things our devices can do, sometimes we forget to stop and discuss the simpler things that a lot of vets take for granted. All questions are valuable here.
Welcome aboard!

P.S. if I was wrong about any of that stuff, feel free to point and laugh.

ShowTime

Reaction score
1) What I do is set my screen timeout high and just manually sleep the phone whenever I'm done using it. That way the screen stays on while doing stuff but will still turn off if I forget to sleep it. But beyond that, you might try looking in to an app called MyLock. It allows you to bypass the lock screen and I believe you can even set it to use the volume and/or camera buttons to wake the screen.

2) You can but you have to be rooted. I'd say just make your peace with them though.

3) The phone is supposed to sleep while you're on a call and have the phone to your ear. There are 2 proximity sensors on the top left that sleep it when it's to your ear and are supposed to wake it as you pull it away. If yours isn't waking when you pull it away (and you don't have a case on the phone or long hair, wboth of which have been noted to obstruct the sensors), it's possible you may have a defective sensor. There's an app you can get that tests it. Try searching the forum for "proximity sensor test" to see if you can turn it up (I don't remember it's name:redface: )

OP
D

DroidNog

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the great, fast replies!

For #1 - I assumed that the best approach would be what one of you suggested in setting the timeout to be longer, then just manually sleeping it via the button up top to save battery. It's less annoying to do that than to turn it on all the time using maps, etc. and still go through the same process.

Maybe I'll look into the MyLock app as well.

For #2 - I figured I'd have to root the phone, and I don't care to do that...yet...so I just made my peace :p

For #3 - Yeah I think you're right, I was misreading when it sleeps so maybe this isn't the problem I was confusing with #1.

Thanks again for the quick and friendly replies!

Now to figure out why checkout.google.com doesn't like my Amex card (well it takes it just fine) but the Shop checkout keeps saying invalid card so can't buy apps!

JimmyD

Reaction score
Also,an alternative way to turn on your Droid instead of using the power button on the top of the phone is to slide the physical keyboard open (you can then close it if you don't need it immediately).

warrior21

Reaction score
You also might want to download an app from the market called screen mode widget. This way you don't have to use the swipe and lock every time you power the screen on unless you want to. It lets you toggle back and forth

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
You also might want to download an app from the market called screen mode widget. This way you don't have to use the swipe and lock every time you power the screen on unless you want to. It lets you toggle back and forth

+1 on ScreenModeWidget if you don't like the lock screen. It also also allows you to turn on the phone with the volume and camera buttons if you set the phone to "awake stay" or "screen stay" states.

Many people, myself included, use Screebl to handle the screen timeout issue. It allows you to set the screen timeout to 15 seconds to avoid draining the battery but only allows the screen timeout if the phone is close to horizontal (as in lying on a desk/table.) This keeps the screen live when you're using it but turns if off when you put it down. Great app.

Helmut

Reaction score
Just another option that I have been using to accomplish problem 1;

use an app called "setting profiles"
(QR code below for the lite (free) version scan it with scanner)
Set a profile called home or something to that effect and have it activate when your at home (I have mine activate when I connect to my home wifi). Once you create this profile you have multiple options that you can auto execute. (screen timeout off pattern lock off etc..) I for one use the pattern lock whenever Im away from home but it doesn't do me much good when I'm at home :)

sp_lite.png

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
#1 - Download screebl. It will stop the screen from blacking out while you are using it. Great app.