Simple Black Bar (Metamorph)

Zane_Grey

Reaction score
I had been searching around and couldn't find a nice looking simple black notification bar. The only one that I could find had a rounded corner bottom bar. So I decided to take the stock ones and edit them in photoshop. This changes the notification bar and the close bar to black. There is also a framwork-res subtheme to change the status bar background to black.

To use this you will need to be rooted, deodexed, and have metamorph installed. Just unzip the file and place the BlackBar folder in the Android Themes folder on your sdcard. Then flash using metamorph. I noticed that it causes the notification bar to start force closing, but after a battery pull or getting lucky and hitting power down between force closes it will work fine. You will need to apply one subtheme at a time.

Black Bar Mod

View attachment 41461

As always I am not responsible if you messing up your phone. Make a backup first.

Edit: I finally learned how to edit .9.png and recompile them so they are correct now.

Last edited:

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The force closes has always been the case with any Gingerbread ROMs using MetaMorph to change things in the SystemUI.apk, so by adding things like 'the bottom bar to black' (status_bar_close_on.9.png) causes that.....not a big deal since you can simply pull the battery as stated....but there are things that are just in the framework-res.apk that can be changed without causing the FC's...like the notification pulldown (status_bar_background.png) like I have done in the screenshot below...
So basically what I'm getting at is if you don't really need to change anything in the SystemUI.apk, then don't... and the MetaMorph.zip will flash smotthly...

Just Win Baby!!...:p

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

OP
Z

Zane_Grey

Reaction score
The force closes has always been the case with any Gingerbread ROMs using MetaMorph to change things in the SystemUI.apk, so by adding things like 'the bottom bar to black' (status_bar_close_on.9.png) causes that.....not a big deal since you can simply pull the battery as stated....but there are things that are just in the framework-res.apk that can be changed without causing the FC's...like the notification pulldown (status_bar_background.png) like I have done in the screenshot below...
So basically what I'm getting at is if you don't really need to change anything in the SystemUI.apk, then don't... and the MetaMorph.zip will flash smotthly...

So thats where the notification background is! I saw one in systemui and changed it but mine still looked alittle to blue..Ill have to fix that! But thanks for the advice Im not used to gingerbread I was on the d1 from the time it was released till 2 weeks ago when it broke and I went with the bionic.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah the D1 was fun to work with when it was Froyo, but GB threw a curve with it's SystemUI.apk...and now the Bionic is another curve with it's Blur***.apks'...lol

OP
Z

Zane_Grey

Reaction score
Once the D1 went to the hacked GB I stopped messing with metamorph and just used the cm7 themes from the market.

HAHA!! I messed up again I put the systemui before the framework-res in the theme control file..lol you cant tell metamorph that its okay to theme the framwork when you have alot of fcs!!

Edit: I think im going to have to make the systemui metamorph seperate from the framework-res metamorph since putting the systemui first causes fcs and themeing the framework reboots the phone when it is done.

Last edited:

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can make them both in one MetaMorph.zip, but simply instruct members to apply one subtheme at a time

OP
Z

Zane_Grey

Reaction score
You can make them both in one MetaMorph.zip, but simply instruct members to apply one subtheme at a time

okay thanks. For now im just going to leave the framework out I need to fix the notification background. I used the quick select tool in photoshop then just changed the fill to black. I checked keep transparency but on the phone its not as transparent as stock was. Any ideas? I don't really want to create my own from scratch.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
okay thanks. For now im just going to leave the framework out I need to fix the notification background. I used the quick select tool in photoshop then just changed the fill to black. I checked keep transparency but on the phone its not as transparent as stock was. Any ideas? I don't really want to create my own from scratch.

So you're basically saying that you created a png, color filled it with bl;ack, and then want to make it semi-transparent...correct?
What you need to do is use color to alpha for transparency, and perhaps l;ighten the black to a dark gray, then choose color to alpha white,,,

OP
Z

Zane_Grey

Reaction score
So you're basically saying that you created a png, color filled it with bl;ack, and then want to make it semi-transparent...correct?
What you need to do is use color to alpha for transparency, and perhaps l;ighten the black to a dark gray, then choose color to alpha white,,,

I cheated and just took the stock background png and used the quick selection tool then went to fill then changed it to black but kept the transparency. Im not that good at creating my own Im just now getting into photoshop. I decreased the opacity and it seems to have lightened it alittle more.

Versatile1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I like that white handle I may use that

OP
Z

Zane_Grey

Reaction score
I like that white handle I may use that

I learned how to compile images so I removed the white handle and changed it to blue to try and match the carrier label and notification title bars. Also the reason the white handled bar look liked that was because I forgot to set the stretch limits in draw9patch.

K

kbatrph

i would like to make the clock black, so it doesn't show.....how do i do that? very simply please! don't really understand the Metamorph procedure, although i've done it according to the instructions here....am running Go Launcher by the way....thanks

OP
Z

Zane_Grey

Reaction score
i would like to make the clock black, so it doesn't show.....how do i do that? very simply please! don't really understand the Metamorph procedure, although i've done it according to the instructions here....am running Go Launcher by the way....thanks

Changing the clock colors or getting rid of the clock requires editing a .xml. Im still learning how to do that myself lol..

To apply this black bar that I have made after placing the extracted folder into the android themes folder on your sdcard. Go into metamorph and select pick existing theme. Then select the blackbar folder then click on the blackbar.xml. Select close on the pop up is just giving you theme info. The select one of the sub themes and click apply it. (Don't click the apply all that you see on the sub theme page) For framework-res your phone will reboot on its own. For the SystemUi you will have to pull the battery. Also on the SystemUi the notification bar will start force closing before the theme is done so give it some time. Its hard to see between the force closes but there is a box that says when it is done.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

BlazinBlake

Reaction score
screen_20111019_1456.png

screen_20111013_0410.png

so i tried taking the systemui.apk from my theme and replacing it with the one in th3ory rom...but now my 3G and signal bar icons are not working right....they should look like the one from th3ory but i cant get it to work right....do i have to install the status bar from systemui.apk....permissions are rw-r-r but am getting no luck...any help is appreciated.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
so i tried taking the systemui.apk from my theme and replacing it with the one in th3ory rom...but now my 3G and signal bar icons are not working right....they should look like the one from th3ory but i cant get it to work right....do i have to install the status bar from systemui.apk....permissions are rw-r-r but am getting no luck...any help is appreciated.

If you're trying to just change icons, then that's all you'd need to change, swapping in or flashing an entire systemUI.apk from another ROM into a different ROM usually will cause issues if XMLs call different drawables (icons or other XMLs)