Simple, basic, no threading, old school texting - it is possible?

jdubu

Reaction score
Hey folks,
What the heck - why is everyone so tied up with this sms threading trend.

I just want text messages in a long list I can view and reply.

Bottom line - I have no use for threading or grouping, or whatever it's called. Is this even possible anymore?

I just need to get text messages, view them, and be able to reply. That too much to ask...

I was hoping Handcent could be toned down to do this, but it seems it's not configurable enough...

Ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Jim

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
texting has become so popular it's pretty much instant messaging now. It's the direction that texting has gone.

if you want that feature go back to a "dumb phone". but i think even those are using threads.

as for customizing in handcent, i don't know for sure but i don't think it's possible.

OP
J

jdubu

Reaction score
if you want that feature go back to a "dumb phone". but i think even those are using threads.

I use the phone for other things than texting, but get sports updates and such from time to time and a few texts a week.

The threading setup just isn't very useful for someone who isn't a frequent texter. Other ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

rusray

Reaction score
I'm sure it's possible to do, but it's going to be rough to convince someone that's an appealing enough project. Threaded sms is just more clean and concise, but I'll ask a few friends of mine what they think about it!

Reaction score
Why would you want to get rid of threading? It's far and away more organized than the other method. It's just like emails and instant messaging now. Do you not like quoted replies in emails either? Because that's basically the same thing.

In direct response to your question though, no I don't believe any developers are keen on hobbling the sms system.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

MrTommy

Reaction score
The threading setup just isn't very useful for someone who isn't a frequent texter.

Seems to me, if you're not texting much, there won't be much threading either.

I text lots, and find the threading feature a Godsend for keeping track. :smile:

arapaho

Reaction score
i have isssues to

maybe im old school..but its not so much the threaded messages

my issue is the fact i havent found a way to save a voice message or ring tone or sound sent to me in a message, nor save a picture from a message

any help?

ttocsm

Reaction score

my issue is the fact i havent found a way to save a voice message or ring tone or sound sent to me in a message, nor save a picture from a message

any help?

Doesn't the long press work. That's what I do to get it to save to SD card, same way to forward.

OP
J

jdubu

Reaction score
The threading setup just isn't very useful for someone who isn't a frequent texter.

Seems to me, if you're not texting much, there won't be much threading either.

I text lots, and find the threading feature a Godsend for keeping track. :smile:

The problem is that threading can be very stupid. I may receive a text on one topic and because it's sent from the same email address, a new unrelated topic might go into the one thread.

So from my perspective I might get 20 texts, and they'll be bundled inside of a few threads. Since the the threads are stupid and some of the texts are unrelated within the single thread, threading becomes a hindrance.

Thanks,
Jim

arapaho

Reaction score

any help?

Doesn't the long press work. That's what I do to get it to save to SD card, same way to forward.

yeah i can get a pic...long press it but all that happens is the picture goes somewhat full screen...but no buttons,,no touch of the screen does anything other then the back and home keys

MrTommy

Reaction score
The problem is that threading can be very stupid. I may receive a text on one topic and because it's sent from the same email address, a new unrelated topic might go into the one thread.

So from my perspective I might get 20 texts, and they'll be bundled inside of a few threads. Since the the threads are stupid and some of the texts are unrelated within the single thread, threading becomes a hindrance.

Hmmm, never thought of that. Since my texting to each individual usually moves along from topic to topic, I'm not concerned about keeping track OF topics. Only that I keep individuals texts separated, and the texting program does that just fine. I usually delete "threads" at the end of the day. Usually...