Signals Boosters

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by NZRocketman, Mar 7, 2012.

1. NZRocketman

NZRocketman New Member

My Razr is in and out of signal while at home and its starting to piss me off. can anyone recommend and signal booster for this phone
  2. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Pm me. I have a possible solution for you.

**EDIT: Sorry, jumped the gun ^. Please ignore Pm request, all useful information and suggestions are in following posts from me in this thread.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  3. brucin

brucin Member

verizon network extender i have one and it works great.
  4. jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun Well-Known Member

Does that extender work for 4g networks also?
  5. DJTaT2

DJTaT2 New Member

I have the same issue but network extender doesn't work where I'm at because high speed internet isn't available.. I due have Hughes net but it sucks bawls!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  6. NZRocketman

NZRocketman New Member

i PM FoxKat to see what his solution is, still waiting for a reply. our interned it crap also at our house so i doubt the extender would work.
  7. coolbreeze704

coolbreeze704 New Member

Wifi

Such a noob question but I will ask anyway at the risk of learning something. When I get home Smart Actions turns off my 3G and 4g to save battery and I connect to my WIFI. When I am connected to WIFI is that just for internet or is it assisting in my phone calls also, or am I getting phone signal just not 3 or 4 g?
  8. NZRocketman

NZRocketman New Member

just the internet mate
  9. FoxKat

In a word...no. Verizon does not support a 4G extender as of yet. There MAY be such an animal out there from 3rd party manufacturers, just as there is 3G extenders from manufacturers such as Wilson Cellular for instance. These third party extenders or Repeaters as they may be will function either as good, or even better than the Verizon branded ones, and often for considerably less money. The dealers know what you need based on the cellular carrier, and once they know how big the area you wish to cover is, and how far you are from strong signals they can recommend an appropriate solution for you.

They can be either a Passive design, where there is simply an antenna above (such as on the roof, in the attic, or 2nd or 3rd floor, typicall near a window), and another below in the living area, and ony cabling between the two, or they can be Active, where there is a powered amplifier and switch designed to actually "repeat" the transmission.

They can be relatively inexpensive for a very basic one, all the way up to close to a grand for one that has a large reach. For most, the $200-$300 price range provides more than ample coverage for the home. Most of what is important is where the receiving antenna is placed, and what type of antenna it is. Many of the low-end systems come with an indoor/outdoor high gain receiving antenna that is Omnidirectional - typically a straight vertical stick design, meaning it receives signals from all directions looking toward the horizons. These may work but are not nearly as effective as a Yagi type antenna which is highly directional - these resemble tiny versions of the old-style roof-mounted TV antennas.

Then the question is whether it can be mounted high enough and aimed at a strong tower. This usually requires two people...one downstairs and near the inside antenna with a phone, and the other on the roof, and with some method of communication between (and no...not the cell phone - LOL!) While the person down below monitors the signal levels, the one on the roof turns the antenna slightly, perhaps 1/16 turn or smaller and then waits while things stabilize. Once the phone adjusts to the new signal level the two decide if that was the right or wrong direction, and if it was far enough or too far of a turn. The rest is self-explanatory.

At this point, I know of none that support Verizon's 4G LTE, however the real question is do you need 4G in the home, or is WIFI a better solution for the data portion and simply require a 3G cellular connection in the home for the rest.

I have some experience in antennas and signal transmission from my early days in the CB and Ham radio world. There isn't much different between them, FM and AM, TV, or any other type of antenna to antenna communication when it comes down to signal level. There is certainly a huge difference in terms of what is going out across that radio frequency however, and the antennas are designed with lengths of the antenna elements to match the wavelength of the signal, so "bigger isn't necessarilly better" as they say in the radio world (!LOL!)
  10. FoxKat

Correct...unless you are using a Voice over IP phone service, such as Skype or Google Voice for instance. Then, you can do all of the above without any "cellular" service, just WIFI.
  11. FoxKat

The extenders Verizon is selling/supplying - if I am understanding correctly work off of the in-home internet services, combined with GPS positioning (Verizon Network Extender: Verizon Wireless Network Extender | Verizon Wireless ). In the description;

"Simple Setup and Management

Easy to install. Plug into your high-speed Internet connection and place near a window. "

Cost, $249.99, no monthly fees.

The solutions I explained above work independent of the in-home internet service. There is no connection to the home internet whatsoever, so even if you have dial-up :blink: you'll still have great cellular service ;).
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  12. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

I got Verizon's extender some time ago when I had my OG Droid. Amazingly, when I told them why I needed it, they sold it to me for half price (and I didn't even ask).

It does the job very well; I hear a soft double beep to show I'm on it (or dial #48 and I'll get a message that I am). There's a GPS receiver in the unit; that way if I call 911 it will pinpoint my location. That's why you have to put it near a window. Mine came with a 25' cable so I could put the unit anywhere in the room and put the GPS receiver next to the window.

Like others have said, it's just for calls and won't help with 3G or 4G. Maybe newer models will, but lately I've been getting better data signals so it isn't as big a concern as before for me.

You can see the manual for it at http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/network_extender_user_manual.pdf
  13. brucin

brucin Member

I use mine in a location that has no cellular service at all. As for data I keep the phone on WIFI. Wish I got mine for 1/2 price.:frown:

One poster asked about the internet connection. Yes you need a broadband connection DSL may do but I use Roadrunner with my extender.
  14. FoxKat

I understand it won't give you 4G signal but are you saying it also doesn't give you even 3G? :blink: If so, then the third-party repeaters/extenders are the way to go for many, especially if they don't have broadband, but at least if they don't have WIFI.
  15. aaf709

Yeah, the Network Extender is designed to help with that obscure, unknown ability that Verizon doesn't promote and that's to make phone calls. I mean, when's the last "Do you hear me know?" commercial that you've seen?

I took a look at The Repeater Store for some other extenders. They did have several, depending on your needs and are supposed to help with 3G. I want to say that they have one for 4G, but it is for 4G alone and won't work with 3G. They do say they plan to have another unit out later in the year that'll do voice, 3G and 4G. That may get pricy as the 4G unit is $379, but does not include the price of either the interior or exterior antennas (or even the coax cable).
  16. FoxKat

Well if that don't suck a lemon peel! :blink:

OK, so it looks like this (Verizon 4G LTE Amplifier (#CM700V) | RepeaterStore.com) is what those with 4G service issues is looking for. It's being billed as the ONLY 4G LTE repeater working with Verizon. ;)
  17. aaf709

18. NZRocketman

NZRocketman New Member

i am going to try make a passive cellphone repeater at home. hopefully will run on 2100 MHz. some areas of my house have perfect signal just my room and office has crap signal. and 200 USD is a bit expensive for me as im looking for short term fix

19. NZRocketman

NZRocketman New Member

20. FoxKat

This is exactly what I was describing as a "passive" antenna booster kit. Well done. I suspect it will assist you in getting better service. As you know it will take some directional tuning to get the best results, and don't settle on the first tower you find with a signal. Some towers are triad-based omnidirectional in signal and others are fairly directional. If you can find a tower that is directional and pointing in your direction but just happens to be at a higher altitude than your house, you may find with the added elevation of the antenna on the roof you'll be right in line and get full signal strength once you're above any obstacles.

Good luck! ;)
Search tags for this page
antenna booster for droid razr maxx
boost droid razr signal

droid razr antenna booster

droid razr improve signal

droid razr maxx signal booster

droid razr signal boost

droid razr signal booster

how to boost droid razr signal

how to boost signal on droid razr

razr maxx signal booster