Signal sucks, Verizon you are wrong...

Schimm

Reaction score
I agree with the sentiment that the gnex does well in strong signal areas but with poorer signals things become dicey. Compared to my X and DROID original my weak 3g signal is still workable on these phones but my gnex will drop the signal completely or if it does connect I can go through 10 % of my battery in ten minutes just by surfing. There also may be something wrong with my phone as I saw it lose 8 to 10 dBm to the store phone for 5 Minutes and then break even. Rezound trounces my gnex and the store gnex decidedly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
L

LaGgY_42o

Reaction score
Just got a replacement from Verizon and its the same way except I get around 100kbps faster speeds and around -10dbm lower than before. Every other phone I test next to it kills it in terms of speed over 3G. How does the newest superphone suck compared to every other 3g/4g phone on the market???

Also I unlocked and rooted this one and am running the leaked radio's and the Android Revolution HD 2.1.2 rom, I tried before rom and after rom/radio's and both have the same speed, low and ****ty compared to the RAZR and Droid X I have put it next to.

::EDIT::

Ok well just ran a speedtest again and I am getting EVER LOWER speeds with this replacement than before! God this phone sucks for a phone! It cannot pickup a signal for ****!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If you're not happy with the signal then get a phone that works for you. Seems the Razr works well for you so just go with that. I must be one of the lucky ones to be getting a strong 4g signal with no drops in data or calls except for the 2 major outages.

Sorry to hear it's not working for you, but no need to bash the phone. That's only going to bring unwanted attention and ultimately get this thread shut down.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would go to a VZW store and compare your phone side by side with a display nexus or make them take one out of the box. Check both phones dBm and see what you get, if your phone is worse, swap it out. If its the same, decide if poor 3g reception is reason enough to drop the phone and go with something else. Also, you sure you are not being throttled on your Nexus? Have you tried switching the radio on the nexus to CDMA only and running the test again? I would switch it, reboot, and run the test again just to see what happens.

I wouldn't do any type of testing at a VZ store.

they always have a mobile 4G hotspot running in back and you'll see no real comparison.

I really think it's a low signal handling issue, and if you are in a fringe area it gets worse.

I posted in the other thread how I got mine just before the last outage, but after that came back up I saw some improvement, could actually get 4G upstairs in some locations in the house, whereas before I could not (and didnt expect to knowing I'm 4-5 miles away from the nearest 4G tower in the area).

But it does annoy the heck out of me that even if they think changing the display which is refelcting real sig strength is a fix, when you still know that your old OG on 3G was always pulling a good signal and was useful, yet the Nexus 3G radio is seriously lacking.

I don't care about bars, I'm tired of seeing the data indicator go away ... It shouldn't be happening in a known great 3G area. It means something isn't right, and kinda infuriates me that they can test out these units without noticing this at all. The testers should be canned.

I also think about those who say that Samsung can't make a good enough radio to use in the US. This is not rocket science, I'm sure the network specifications for use are spelled out somewhere for these manufacturers, if it wasn;t meeting spec, then why accept the design? It also had to go past FCC, I wonder in what reguard they enforce network spec compliance? (One would figure they look at it, you can't have it spilling outside it's alooted band for example ....)

I love my Nex, I just want it to work ...

nleksan

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, somewhat, as the OP... I have until the 15th to decide if I want to exchange for a BNIB GNex, or have faith that what I have experienced is just "teething issues" and to be honest, relatively minor ones at that...

Issues since I got it on Dec15th:
- 3 Forced Reboots (2 while "out and about", 1 immediately after plugging it in to charge overnight)
- Under continuous use, battery lasts a MAX of 3hrs (regardless of WiFi or 3G/4G connection; GPS/Sync/AutoBrightness disabled, screen at 30% brightness, and I keep as much memory available as possible)
- Occasional Sporadic "Bursts" of Texts/Emails (will get 5-6 emails in succession like "beep...beep...beep...etc", or the same with texts)
- Issues connecting to 3G/4G on occasion where I know the signal is strong (I get the greyed-out *bleep* at the top of the screen...)

New issue today:
- Connecting to school wifi, never had a problem before, but I kept getting "Server Timed Out" and couldn't load anything even on 4G

I am getting really frustrated, because the 15th is in 3 days, and I don't know if the issues I have had warrant a replacement, and even if I do go to get a "new" one I still feel like it's a big gamble as I could end up with one that is far worse than the above issues (which have taken place over 27 days or so).

Overall, I do love this phone, I really do. I am just getting upset with the service. I could really use some advice here...

(Stock ICS: no root, no unlocked anything)

douglasman100

Reaction score
Man those speed suck...just take a look at the 4g by me (on 2 bar...)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-01-09-20-42-42.png
    Screenshot_2012-01-09-20-42-42.png
    166.8 KB · Views: 257