Signal sucks, Verizon you are wrong...

dustinslee

Reaction score
I think the phone does well in good signal area's but where signal isn't as strong its like it struggles here is a speed test at my work its amazing better than the razr I had but at home its not as good i usually have 1 bar at home where other phones has had 3

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1324610788681.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1324610788681.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 348

dustinslee

Reaction score
I think the phone does well in good signal area's but where signal isn't as strong its like it struggles here is a speed test at my work its amazing better than the razr I had but at home its not as good i usually have 1 bar at home where other phones has had 3

This pic is from work I usually have full signal there! But it performed well!

BobbyDigital

Reaction score
I can provide a few more numbers. I live in San Luis Obispo, CA and we have pretty good 4G strength (as per a smaller market area). I was in the verizon corporate store and checked out signal strengths on all their 4G phones, as my GNex is suffering from the signal woes we all seem to be having. The droid razr clocked in at 55db, LG revolution at 60dbm, bionic at 68dbm and LG charge (by samsung) at 71dbm. There has to be something up with the quality of samsung radios as the charge was the crappiest of the bunch. That is, until I checked out my GNex, the instore one and the service clerks as well; everyone of these phones was at 75db-78dbm. This is unacceptable for a phone with such a high premium, with such terrible battery life and such touted specs. I have until the 15th to decide weather to keep mine or not. Dont get me wrong, I love the form factor, OS, screen and even the "lackluster camera" (its no lag shutter is amazing). Poor battery is one thing, but their clearly is a signal issue and Verizon dubbing it as a cosmetic defect of a faulty signal indicator is BS. Also the reboots which I and others have been experiencing: un-F'ing-acceptable! Dont know if I trust them to "fix it" or just keep it under wraps so they dupe more saps into buying it. I have been waiting for this phone since CES last year. 4.0.3 better come out before the 15th, and it better fix all of these horrible problems, as, I really dont wanna return it and have to pay a 15% restock fee for something that is defective.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's a software fix but there is a problem with the Radio.

I am not getting as good of a wi-fi signal in my house as I did with the Bionic or the OG Droid.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
By the way I get BETTER phone reception than with any device I've ever owned. Call that weird.

BobbyDigital

Reaction score
SSHGuru: I too can confirm the wifi problem as well as the standard signal issue. On the GNex I get 3-4 bars on wifi inside my house. On my ancient HTC Incredible I get 5 solid bars, full strength everywhere in my house.

I sure do HOPE they can fix the radio via software. Though I dont know if Im willing to roll the dice. As it is Im also getting forced reboots on occasion, with an unrooted "top of the line" phone, minimal to no apps, have done hard resets and am tired of redoing my phone to see if erasing it all helps (it hasnt). Im totally pissed off, the hype I had behind this phone. It was supposed to be a game changer. The radio is laughable. At best they fix it with this, the second update for the device thus far. At minimum they leave it as is or give us the appearance of a stronger signal but dont really fix the problem at hand. What a conundrum. Google and Samusng totally left us out on the lerch here.

BobbyDigital

Reaction score
SSHGuru: just saw your reply about better phone reception (not data) and I agree with that aswell. Sort of. I have had a few dropped calls but whats weird with my GNex is that even if I have 1 to no bars of 4g, calls come and are placed with no delay or switching over to 3g. The signal strength seems to be more indicative of data then voice, if that makes sense. The phone, at times, seems like a complete skitzo. If the phone cant get a strong signal lock on, then forget about any data, but if the signal is just as weak, the voice connections seem to have more leeway. At least it seems that way with mine. Their radios seem very finicky and I hope to god they fix it with an update. Before the 15th. Cause I really dont wanna take it back.

dagdoot

Reaction score
I have crappy signal in my house as well, 1 bar. Sometimes when it really starts to struggle for signal it will get pretty hot and start draining the battery in my pocket. In my house i get 2 bars of wifi when im literally 10 feet away from the router, one level below, its literally right above me just on the floor above me, my thunderbolt used to get full wifi signal.

BobbyDigital

Reaction score
dagdoot: have you ever had a reboot from losing wifi? Supposedly its another one of the issues that Big Red wants to keep under wraps but it is no small quirk at all. Makes the phone a complete POS. I was unable to replicate it a few mins ago but its cold as outside and I only tried once but many other report that upon losing wifi signal, the phone will reboot itself, even after switching over to 4g/3g.

Heres a vid of someone able to recreate this glitch or crabs or whatever you wanna label it:
[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX_KPuF59V0

Ive had forced reboots when shutting down and listening to audio but neither one was attributed to losing a wifi signal. That I know of. Going through with another hard reset and not gonna install anything on it. Also, when I was outside trying to recreate the wifi reboot, my phone reverted to 4G, showed FULL BARS and yet had a signal of 102dbm? Is this not a terrible signal? I thought anything around 50 was good and anything around 90-100+ was crap. WTF are we to do. I love this guy but its getting harder to place my faith in somebody releasing an update to fix all this stuff. Wheres the QC? Why would they put out a device with so many issues. I...really dont wanna go "down" to a droid razr. [/URL]

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
SSHGuru: I too can confirm the wifi problem as well as the standard signal issue. On the GNex I get 3-4 bars on wifi inside my house. On my ancient HTC Incredible I get 5 solid bars, full strength everywhere in my house.

I sure do HOPE they can fix the radio via software. Though I dont know if Im willing to roll the dice. As it is Im also getting forced reboots on occasion, with an unrooted "top of the line" phone, minimal to no apps, have done hard resets and am tired of redoing my phone to see if erasing it all helps (it hasnt). Im totally pissed off, the hype I had behind this phone. It was supposed to be a game changer. The radio is laughable. At best they fix it with this, the second update for the device thus far. At minimum they leave it as is or give us the appearance of a stronger signal but dont really fix the problem at hand. What a conundrum. Google and Samusng totally left us out on the lerch here.

You should not be getting reboots. I believe you have a faulty device. I recommend you do an exchange. As far as reception write your numbers from settings, about phone, signal strength. And email that info to verizon with the fact you are losing connections.

ghorig

Reaction score
I have crappy signal in my house as well, 1 bar. Sometimes when it really starts to struggle for signal it will get pretty hot and start draining the battery in my pocket. In my house i get 2 bars of wifi when im literally 10 feet away from the router, one level below, its literally right above me just on the floor above me, my thunderbolt used to get full wifi signal.

If you still have your old phone try using 'wifi analyzer' app to compare signal strength. I just compared mine gnex vs org Droid and although the gnex is showing one less bar on wifi the wifi signal strength and download speeds are almost identical. Not saying you might have a different experience - just trying to be objective about my experience.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

BobbyDigital

Reaction score
I know I shouldnt be getting reboots and I already brought this to the attention of my local verizon store. The woman who "helped" me didnt even know how to check signal strength on android, until I showed her. Then I showed that there was a 10-20dbm, discrepancy between the Nexus' and every other LTE device there. Her decided choice of action was to do a hard reset, so I played along. She didnt want to swap out SIM cards just yet, and swapping out for a new Nexus wasnt even brought up. They seem like I would have to twist a lot of high up arms to get that to happen (which is ironic. because my Nexus and the floor model both showed the horrible 75dbm strength in store...so...both are faulty?). Im just not even sure if I want to put my faith in this device any more. If I swap this out and get yet another "faulty device" then I really am SOL. Im then stuck with the next "faulty" neuxs. A lot of people have been getting reboots, just like a lot of peeps are having signal issues. The question really is 'how many devices out there are "faulty"? Either that or is the whole thing a miscarriage of proper engineering and QC.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think there are that many faulty units I think it's a software glitch that occurs more depending on where you live.

I get very fast speeds and great 4g when I have a signal.

I live in a house that is basically cell phone proof. However we have always had good internet because I have a wi-fi router. We make our calls from outside or near one window (it's that bad).

We've had Blackberry's, OG Droids, an IPhone, a Bionic and now the GNex.

The GNex is the only one that can take and make calls from inside the house.

It's also the one that has the hardest time picking up a wi-fi signal or any other internet signal.

I've had one re-boot so far since I got it in the middle of the night. I have no idea why because it was in an area of the house that usually isn't a problem.

Other than that all of the other issues I've read about are software. I have to believe this is software also since the guts are probably basically the same as the SG II.

So let's give Google and Samsung some time to resolve it.

I will keep the phone regardless - it blows everything else out of the water in nearly every way. And I can use it just fine 95% of the time.

dagdoot

Reaction score
dagdoot: have you ever had a reboot from losing wifi? Supposedly its another one of the issues that Big Red wants to keep under wraps but it is no small quirk at all. Makes the phone a complete POS. I was unable to replicate it a few mins ago but its cold as outside and I only tried once but many other report that upon losing wifi signal, the phone will reboot itself, even after switching over to 4g/3g.

Heres a vid of someone able to recreate this glitch or crabs or whatever you wanna label it:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX_KPuF59V0.

Ive had forced reboots when shutting down and listening to audio but neither one was attributed to losing a wifi signal. That I know of. Going through with another hard reset and not gonna install anything on it. Also, when I was outside trying to recreate the wifi reboot, my phone reverted to 4G, showed FULL BARS and yet had a signal of 102dbm? Is this not a terrible signal? I thought anything around 50 was good and anything around 90-100+ was crap. WTF are we to do. I love this guy but its getting harder to place my faith in somebody releasing an update to fix all this stuff. Wheres the QC? Why would they put out a device with so many issues. I...really dont wanna go "down" to a droid razr.

Wow I had no idea about the reboot issues, i leave my house all the time and it disconnects from wifi properly to 3g ( no 4g in my area atm). I have had no reboot issues or anything like that, the phone has been pretty rock solid so far as far as stability. The only problem i have is the reception "seems" crappy at times, and when im in some buildings it struggles to keep 3g at times and starts to drain the battery, but here i am in my basement and i have ZERO bars but it doesent drain the battery, go figure..Im just gonna give it time see how things turn out, with all these issues of crappy signal i could only assume verizon or samsung will address it eventually, hopefully sooner then later though.. i love the phone still, even with the spotty signal issues. it runs really smooth.

traveye

Reaction score
Root solves all issues my friends. 4.0.3 is out in many of the custom ROMs. Personally, I'm running Droid theory's ZYGOT3 ROM and it is beast. I can say I've seen a huge improvement in signal retention and the 3g/4g hand off. Not to mention vastly improved battery life and performance. There are guides on how to do all of this. This is a developer phone, and the community is always going to be more helpful and efficient than Verizon.: ) The developer of this from has released 5 updates in the last week. How many has Verizon pushed? :)

Sent from my ZYGOT3ed Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums