Signal sucks, Verizon you are wrong...

LaGgY_42o

Reaction score
I just got done comparing a Droid RAZR to my Verizon Galaxy Nexus, here are my results:

Well it looks like this forum is designed to not accept links with thumbnails so whenever you click on the thumbnail regardless of the link attached to it it opens the thumbnail instead of the link.
I have provided the full picture links below each thumbnail.

RAZR vs Nexus: Upstairs in my house:

th_NexusUpstairsRetest.png

FULL PICTURE LINKS HERE SINCE THUMBNAILS DO NOT WORK
RAZR Nexus NEXUS LTE/CDMA

RAZR vs Nexus: Downstairs in my house:

th_NexusDownstairsRetest.png

RAZR Nexus NEXUS LTE/CDMA

RAZR vs Nexus: Downstairs dBm values:

RAZR Nexus

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We know there is an issue. I think right now we are awaiting to see if it can be fixed. If you want to get more accomplished email that to vzw and any one else who feels the need to prove their point. Telling the forum is nice but we cant fix any thing. If all of us with problem bombard vzw email box it will get more accomplished.

OP
L

LaGgY_42o

Reaction score
We know there is an issue. I think right now we are awaiting to see if it can be fixed. If you want to get more accomplished email that to vzw and any one else who feels the need to prove their point. Telling the forum is nice but we cant fix any thing. If all of us with problem bombard vzw email box it will get more accomplished.

Well then lets do that, lets all chime in if your Nexus has the same problem and e-mail this thread to Verizon and post on their forums about it. As you already know they just claim its a signal indicator problem and that there is no real signal issue and that they are going to fix it by increasing the bars visually to match other lte phones and that's it. If that is their only effort in fixing this issue then we need to do something about it to make them fix it.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
You are testing them on different servers, of course the results will vary... not saying the nexus 3g radio isnt worse, but test on the same server atleast. Look at the difference in ping alone.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I would go to a VZW store and compare your phone side by side with a display nexus or make them take one out of the box. Check both phones dBm and see what you get, if your phone is worse, swap it out. If its the same, decide if poor 3g reception is reason enough to drop the phone and go with something else. Also, you sure you are not being throttled on your Nexus? Have you tried switching the radio on the nexus to CDMA only and running the test again? I would switch it, reboot, and run the test again just to see what happens.

OP
L

LaGgY_42o

Reaction score
You are testing them on different servers, of course the results will vary... not saying the nexus 3g radio isnt worse, but test on the same server atleast. Look at the difference in ping alone.

weird, I thought I had set them both to the same, retested gnexus again in same exact locations on same server as RAZR, uploading updated pics now.

::EDIT::

Updated pic's with retest on same servers

OP
L

LaGgY_42o

Reaction score
I would go to a VZW store and compare your phone side by side with a display nexus or make them take one out of the box. Check both phones dBm and see what you get, if your phone is worse, swap it out. If its the same, decide if poor 3g reception is reason enough to drop the phone and go with something else. Also, you sure you are not being throttled on your Nexus? Have you tried switching the radio on the nexus to CDMA only and running the test again? I would switch it, reboot, and run the test again just to see what happens.

Yes it is running in CDMA only mode since we do not have LTE in my area so i figured it pointless to have it on.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hmm... I'm stumped. Your speeds and network strength are almost identical to mine and I got nearly the same results. Actually mine are worse, but my cell service at home has been horrid on my DX, D3, and my GN.

** Edit - Out of curiosity try to enable lte/cdma and test it again.

OP
L

LaGgY_42o

Reaction score
Hmm... I'm stumped. Your speeds and network strength are almost identical to mine and I got nearly the same results. Actually mine are worse, but my cell service at home has been horrid on my DX, D3, and my GN.

** Edit - Out of curiosity try to enable lte/cdma and test it again.

Weird because my Droid X that I had before my Nexus got just as good as a signal as the RAZR all thru my house. I guess to satisfy it I will retest with LTE/CDMA mode enabled but It will just be the same, will update with pics in a few...

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Weird because my Droid X that I had before my Nexus got just as good as a signal as the RAZR all thru my house. I guess to satisfy it I will retest with LTE/CDMA mode enabled but It will just be the same, will update with pics in a few...

You dont have to take pics and upload, just lmk how you make out. Just trying out different ideas to see if we get different results.

Ya, based on your service level on the Razr, Im gonna have to say something is definitly up with your phone. I have been keeping a close eye on my phones signal since I got it (sold my d3 because of poor service compared to my dx) and the GN is on par with my DX across the board. Its much better then my D3, I had no service at all in doors with the D3.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your Razr signal is also showing it's 3G signal not 4G just fyi.

Your signal altogether is pretty bad, even your Razr dBm is high for 3G signal.

nexus 4g signal strength.jpgnexus 4g speed test.jpg

OP
L

LaGgY_42o

Reaction score
You dont have to take pics and upload, just lmk how you make out. Just trying out different ideas to see if we get different results.

Ya, based on your service level on the Razr, Im gonna have to say something is definitly up with your phone. I have been keeping a close eye on my phones signal since I got it (sold my d3 because of poor service compared to my dx) and the GN is on par with my DX across the board. Its much better then my D3, I had no service at all in doors with the D3.

Updated OP with pics with LTE/CDMA mode enabled

Well does anyone else have this same problem? My Droid X was just as good as the RAZR which is as you can see way better than my GNexus, think I should take it into Verizon and try to get them to swap it for a replacement?

Your Razr signal is also showing it's 3G signal not 4G just fyi.

Your signal altogether is pretty bad, even your Razr dBm is high for 3G signal.

Never said it was 4G, I did however say that there is no 4G in my area. What then would be the ideal dBm for a normal 3G signal?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Updated OP with pics with LTE/CDMA mode enabled

Well does anyone else have this same problem? My Droid X was just as good as the RAZR which is as you can see way better than my GNexus, think I should take it into Verizon and try to get them to swap it for a replacement?

Never said it was 4G, I did however say that there is no 4G in my area. What then would be the ideal dBm for a normal 3G signal?

My Nexus on 3G says -83dBm right now, I think 75-85 is normal for 3G. My OG has -81 on 3G right now.

The reason I mentioned it was because you were comparing two different dBm signals, the -92 vs -120.

OP
L

LaGgY_42o

Reaction score
The reason I mentioned it was because you were comparing two different dBm signals, the -92 vs -120.

what are you talking about? of corse I am comparing them, they are very far apart and the phones are sitting side by side, that IS a problem isn't it?...