Signal strength

rjl4tnvols

Reaction score
I recently switched from a dx to the fascinate I've noticed the signal strength on the fascinate isn't great is this just a problem w mine or everyone

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

FragDroidX

Reaction score
Call quality and signal strenth are not very good on the Fascinate or any other Galaxy S device really. Two things Samsung is infamous for is weak radios and slow updates. If call quality and reception is important to you than you should have stayed with the Droid X. Motorola has its shortcomings as well (locked bootloader comes to mind) but they are known for putting serious r&d into its radios for great reception and call quality.

n660623x

Reaction score
I concur as well. I've considered moving too a different device because samsung and verizon have not offered support for the device the way other providers and manufacturers have. I'm not sureidb any better off with another device when it comes to battery life however.

forstir9

Reaction score
Well I expect every device has it's pros and cons. The last place I lived signal strength mattered alot. Where I live now the Samsung Fascinate is great. The pros outweigh the cons. The droidx was my second choice though.

lxJGTxl

Reaction score
My fascinate gives great signal strength. Never had an issue with dropped calls or laggy internet. I live in San Diego, so idk how it compares to other places tho

Sent from my Fascinating Galaxy S

Swvapunk69

Reaction score
I live in the middle of no were Virginia and mine picks up great.

celtlion

Reaction score
Yep, one of the reasons I switched from a Fascinate to the DX.

Volones

Reaction score
There is a DroidX and Fascinate in my household, and they both seem to get the same signal strength in the same locations. I have put them side by side and checked the signal strength numbers in the settings, and they are almost exactly the same (within 1 or 2 dBm). With the latest updates, the Fascinate signal strength is more precise, but still shows the same range as the DroidX. However, the DroidX usually has one more visible bar in the status bar than the fascinate, so this could cause confusion.

As far as call quality, the phones are again the same. I might give a slight edge to the Fascinate, but that could also be because it's my phone. :) However, the DroidX has a clear advantage over the Fascinate in voice quality when using the speakerphone.

* * * This is an entirely unscientific study with only two handsets as sample groups, and should be combined with other small unscientific studies to create a properly valid result. In other words... Your Mileage May Vary! * * *

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I was just curious what the best or worst or just average signal strength everyone has gotten is just for comparison and to figure out what the range of signal strength is

my best: -55 dbm
Worst: -115 dbm
Average: -65 dbm

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you have an app that does this? Or are you just looking and recording something yourself?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you have an app that does this? Or are you just looking and recording something yourself?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Just looking myself, I have my phone so it displays the dbm instead of the signal bars so its pretty easy to check