signal issue

Spey

Reaction score
I see what you are saying
I am on the border of light red and medium red.
light red is 3g correct and medium extended 4g or am I misreading the colors?
Like I reported earlier I switched from 4g to 3g once I turned off wifi so could the wifi been causing the 4g to hang on that long?
Oh and I am in my house which is the reason I use wifi unless I am at a hotel or hotspot then I will keep wifi on otherwise I turn it off.

Yes
Yes
Yes, No you are not mis-reading the colors now (you are actually now reading the map & beginning to interpret the key)
Yes, I think so (consider what I said earlier, WiFi over-rides the 4G/3G connection on the Razr M so the device may not be really paying full attention to alternate Data Radios when on WiFi - so I would imagine even reading the signal stregth for 4G/3G might be inacurate when on WiFi). The phone is supposed to be a "Smart" phone, but it's smartness is somewhat dependent on the individual using it not to put speed bumps in it's path (User Settings like in the Tron Movie all hail the User ...)
Like I commented related to how I use my device, it makes sense to me that I follow these basic principals of use:
- when I want to run WiFi I turn off 4G/3G Data (like at home, at work, friends house, etc., etc.).
- when I want 4G/3G (means no accidental WiFi connection to some unknown WiFi) I turn off WiFi.

Consider a couple different scenario if I the user do not follow a basic principal set:

If on the other hand I leave 4G on when I'm running on a preferred WiFi ..., well this just does not make any sense to me because it seems there's just too many potential problems that can occur (if 4G is on it's sucking my battery even though the screen is not on, It's sucking max power in areas of low connectivity because it's hunting for a signal, it's broadcasting my location constantly to any/all app's that use location, it's potentially messing up who knows what because it's always on ...).

If on the other hand I leave WiFi on, when I expect to be on 4G/3G ..., well now here comes that list of potential problems 'cause it's a "Smart" phone. It knows that I know the phones WiFi is programmed to override 4G/3G (because it probably says so in the user manual - DUH!!). I think this is a great feature of the Razr M (one of the reasons for my selecting it, because I'd prefer WiFi connectivity over mobile-data and I run a dual-band router that can use the dual-band WiFi on the Razr M). So, say I'm happily driving down the road on 4G and i drive by the Verizon store where the rep-manager was gracious enough to provide me the WiFi/Pass for his network to download Motorola Tools to my lappy (last time I visited), and let's just say for example illustrative purposes here that I programmed that network into preferred so I can use it next time I have to wait in line in his store ... Well guess what my "Smart" phone is gonna do as I drive by on 4G (heck ya, it's gonna priority switch over to WiFi until that signal is out of range, then maybe it will grab onto the local library as I drive by too ... Then as I pull up to the Fry's Electronic store or the Radio Shack, maybe my "Smart" phone will accept offer to hand-shake with a mobile network that's gonna copy a system image from my phone (remember that guy, who for a $20 bought you beer, from in front of 7-11 when you where a sophomore - it'll be that guys grandson).

Sorry for the rant,

Last edited:
OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
ok still 3g today BUT NOW my fiance's pantec breakout had 2 bars 4g while my Razr M has 3 bars 3g. Why is this happenining? Is it a software fix or hardware related as I have both phones next to each other in front of me right now.

Spey

Reaction score
Try holding the Razr M upside down. dancedroid

I think the 4G/3G antenna is at the very lower portion of the handset (where as I think the T.Bolt is opposite, & I have not idea of your fiances's device).

Realize what everyone else has been saying, and do not expect the Razr M to have equal signal strength to another device. Get a different device for yourself before your right of rescind expires on your contract. Every device has strengths and weaknesses & based on user needs; user must evaluate accordingly their priorities when selecting a device.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I just want it to get 4g. WHY call it a 4g device when it rarely get 4g? Also as I stated before I ONLY got the phone because it was FREE and I read on here it was a good phone. I didn't expect it to NOT get 4g.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Take it to Verizon. They want you to get 4g too because uses more data which means more money for them. If they are not able to get a better signal for you, then send it back for a refurb. The refurb might have better luck.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
little problem there... The nearest verizon store is near pittsburgh which has excellent 4g. I don't think the problem will show up there. All I have here are premium retailers and they are of little help.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Well if you get his reliable strong 4g in a strong 4g area then your 4g is probably working fine. You can't expect, with almost any phone, consistent 4g in a weak/fringe area.

I live in a 3g area. I also am in a very rural, very weak 3g area often. Of course, I don't expect 4g because it's not possible. But even in the weak 3g area, I keep my data. That is as good as my Maxx did and my Maxx was the best 4g of any.

Now, I am also frequently in a weak 4g area. My M actually does better there than my Maxx did. It switches back and forth between 4g and 3g but it does not lose the data like my Maxx did. In this area, I don't expect my M to hold 4g because it is a weak area but I love that it switches to 3g seamlessly.

When I get into the city, it's a very good, strong 4g area. My M has great 4g and I never see it switch to 3g when I am in the city.

This is what you should expect. In a fringe area, I don't know as though you can expect consistent strong 4g on almost any phone.

In addition, you can not rely on comparing the bars because not all phones report bars the same. If you want to truly compare, you have to look at the actual dBm. A very weak 4g dBm is not as good as a strong 3g dBm... in other words, your friends Pantech 4g may actually be much worse than your 3g.

If you're not dropping data, then I think that is what you should expect. But if you are dropping data, especially where you shouldn't be, then that would be a concern.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
So should i take it to a premium retailer or just call and tell them my problem?

Spey

Reaction score
TisMyDroid, I reccommend you not spend too much time here (I have already spent many hours working with this guy and all that returns is P.M.S. (piss & moan syndrome).

He lives in borderline 3G coverage area (as self delineated on his Verizon coverage map - he had not even read his own map to understand he lives a long ways from good 4G coverage). Keeps complaining about weak/lack of 4G connection compared to other devices. Has read, by multiple other members posts, Razr M is not strong on 4G performance. Have had detailed exchanges with his about dbm readings and proper use of WiFi in combination with 3G/4G. Has been given detailed examples of how to exchange his device during his right of rescind time period of his Verizon contract (detailed private messages specific to his issues and contract), along with detailed examples of other devices that might suit his needs/wishes better. Has been told that he should call Verizon Technical to give them opportunity to work through the device and correct if there's a problem, and to get a "trouble ticket" notated in his file. Has been told how to exchange for another Razr M or to trade to a different device. Comes back to the forum complaining that he doesn't get 4G.

Sorry to other members if this sounds like a rant on my part.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I exchanged my razr-m for a razr. Better signal but still off and on 4g.

Spey

Reaction score
dancedroid :icon_ lala: dancedroid :icon_ lala: dancedroid :icon_ lala: dancedroid :icon_ lala: dancedroid