Signal bars???

anguish

Reaction score
I'm normally in SE Michigan, but currently in SW Michigan (South Haven). The only truly dead spots I've seen are where I've expected them to be. I'll have to pay a little more attention though..

kramerica

Reaction score
Yeah, so far no dropped calls and what I expected but then again there hasn't been a ton of usage. She will back east of GR tomorrow and will get more feedback (if it sucks - I promise there will be feedback).

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

unAWARE

Reaction score
Hah, yay for us SW Michigan people! I live about an hour south of GR, gets about the same signal as my OG Droid did, maybe a little weaker at points, but overall it's variation I'd expect anyway. Very happy with this phone so far, it's what the Thunderbolt should've been all around.

kramerica

Reaction score
Yeah 131 has got some crazy spots for a major highway running through the state. My office in GR is literally 2 steps left or right to having a signal or not. The office is in a no zone that has a tower 8 blocks down the road, but because the weather towner (WZZM) and the "foliage" as they say, I have to sit at certain angles when I make phone calls even with the Droid X so that 6-8 might be the difference in getting anything or a little something.

swenpro

Reaction score
*BUMP* DInc2 Owners... any update on phone signal?? I like a full-featured phone, but potential signal issues is a big concern for me. Thanks!

anguish

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, the bars are meaningless. I use a widget called Signal Meter (I think), and it tells me the dBm. I pay more attention to that now.

swenpro

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, the bars are meaningless. I use a widget called Signal Meter (I think), and it tells me the dBm. I pay more attention to that now.

Okay, so you pay more attention to the dBm than the signal. This agrees with what other posters are saying.

But when Phone Arena did their review, they mentioned the dBm as well...

The handset is painstakingly atrocious with retaining signal strength since it’s only able to get one or two bars at -86 dBm in high coverage areas. Not only did we experience dropped connections in the greater Philadelphia area, but there are numerous times when it’s drastically fluctuating in signal strength at the same locations.

I guess to clarify, how is the phone working out for calling in practical usage? Voice sound good from other end? Any noise or dropped calls?

anguish

Reaction score
I've not had any issues. It's worked beautifully when I've needed it to make calls. The only times I've had difficulties is when I've expected to have difficulties. That goes with both voice and data. And coming from a D2G, it's been welcome relief!

Grenex

Reaction score
My wife is getting 1-2 bars at her work on her new Droid Incredible 2. Her Droid 1 used to get 3-4 bars steady. She has done *228 to update roaming, but it did not help.

despite everyone saying "ignore the signal bars" it is eating thru her battery 50% within just three hours. The phone will be dead before she completes a full day or work.

If she steps outside, she gets 3-4 bars. Is the radio on this phone not as good as other devices on the market?

swenpro

Reaction score
My wife is getting 1-2 bars at her work on her new Droid Incredible 2. Her Droid 1 used to get 3-4 bars steady. She has done *228 to update roaming, but it did not help.

despite everyone saying "ignore the signal bars" it is eating thru her battery 50% within just three hours. The phone will be dead before she completes a full day or work.

If she steps outside, she gets 3-4 bars. Is the radio on this phone not as good as other devices on the market?

Thanks, Grenex, for your reply. I think this and other evidence (Phone Arena review) of issues with signal are enough to make me decline on getting the DInc2.

anguish

Reaction score

I constantly get 1-2 bars the majority of where I go. Yet I'm never near 50% unless I'm actively using it quite a bit. What does the battery usage show as to what's using it?

iguana81

Reaction score
I usually get 2-3 bars (lesser when inside my building at work). Took the train into NYC yesterday and my GF had a constant 4 bars on her Verizon iPhone, while mine was oscillating between 2-4 bars throughout the trip (until we went under the tunnel). She has complained of greatly diminished data speeds with anything less than 4 bars, while mine doesn't really do so until I see like 1 bar. With that said, also would think the bars shown are almost meaningless. I'm going to compare the strength of the signals when I get a chance.

As far as battery life, I have no complaints. Unplugged it yesterday morning and just plugged it back in at my desk with like 40% battery still remaining. Def used the phone a good amount yesterday and took a lot of pictures.

nojoke

Reaction score
signal bars are not calibrated right....phone does get reception just as good as the D1 I had

rrockich

Reaction score
Ok not sure if this was mentioned already but I set my dinc2 to cdma only mode so it wouldn't be looking for gsm here in the good ole us of a and my bars are status quo in all my usual areas. Sorry if this was overly obvious hour at the droid forum lol

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums