Sideloading Library ePub or PDF's to Nook on Droid

FlwrGirl

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to sideload the ebooks I borrow from my elibrary onto my DroidX running the Nook App? (from Barnes and Noble)

Thanks in advance.

pdegregorio

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to sideload the ebooks I borrow from my elibrary onto my DroidX running the Nook App? (from Barnes and Noble)

Hi, I have a Xoom WiFi (Android 3.0 Honeycomb) and I'm not sure this will apply completely to you but here is what I did to sideload an epub book into my Nook App.

One way to side load is to use your file system e.g. Windows Explorer and copy the files onto your device e.g. to the location

sdcard/Nook/MyDocuments

for some reason I don't see the Nook directory when connected to either a PC or a Mac and that's the case for you then read on.

For me, use of "adb" Android Debug Bridge is required and that means downloading and installing the Android SDK. If on Windows you may need to install the Motorola Driver Installer. Example below has the location of adb in the path already and I'm using a Windows command prompt. This would be similar on a Linux computer or a Mac.

First check connectivity (your Android device should be listed)

adb devices

Second make sure you know where to put the file. Look for MyDocuments in the Nook directory. I've seen this referred to as "My Documents" in various other places but my app has no space in the name. If yours has a space you'll need to use quotes around the name.

adb -d shell ls sdcard/Nook

Do the copy

cd (where the_ebook is)
adb -d push the_ebook.epub sdcard/Nook/MyDocuments/
1326 KB/s (7458196 bytes in 5.492s)

Open your Nook app and go to My Files. Refresh. This took a couple of tries and then the book showed up. Open and enjoy.

-- Peter

Last edited:

Dexterina

Reaction score
I have the same question; however, I can't find my USB to connect to my MacBook Pro. I used DropBox to sync the ePub file to my R2D2, but how do I get it into my nook reader? (No fair responding, "Buy another USB cord"...) I'm an IT geek and I want to know how to DO IT!!! Thanks, Droidians. :reddroid:

REMilk

Reaction score
I have moved ebooks 2 different ways depending on where I am.

PC/Laptop and Droid/Droid 3 connected by USB cable (assumes all drivers are installed and successful connection)
  1. With Windows Explorer, copy the file from the PC/Laptop to the folder Nook/MyDocuments. On the Droid this is usually on the SD Card. On the Droid 3 and you use the File app, this is on Internal storage, other file managers may call this sdcard.
  2. Start Nook and the MyDocuments can be accessed from the Nook Home screen 'my files'
Using AwesomeDrop
  1. Install Awesome Drop app onto Droid
  2. Start Awesome Drop app
  3. On the PC/Laptop open your browser to Awesome Drop from Dashwire Labs
  4. Key the 4-digit pin from the browser to the Droid
  5. On the PC/Laptop, use windows explorer and drop the book from its location onto the Awesome drop file areahttp://labs.dashwire.com/drop
  6. Using a file manager on the Droid, move the file from the folder "drop" to Nook/MyDocuments
  7. Start Nook and the MyDocuments can be accessed from the Nook Home screen 'my files'
I have also used Dropbox, SugarSync and ZumoDrive for the file transfers. I am sure there are other methods.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Bob

Dexterina

Reaction score
Hey, thanks, Bob! Your mention of a file manager was the nudge I needed to get me going. I had used DropBox to move the file onto my Droid but couldn't figure out how to get it into the Nook, so I was using a pdf version, not as desirable because I couldn't adjust the font, save my page, etc. Once I found the Files folder <smacking forehead with hand>, it was easy to go to my DropBox public folder and my book file, copy it and then navigate to my Nook folders and paste it. Really appreciate your help. No happy dancing Droid or banana (they give me a headache), just wishing you a great weekend!

Lisa

rsteabo

Reaction score
need help with nook app droid x, sideloading pdf

Open your Nook app and go to My Files. Refresh. This took a couple of tries and then the book showed up. Open and enjoy.

help!

i am trying to read a friend's book on the nook app on my droid x.
i saved the doc file as a pdf
i transferred a pdf file into the nook/mydocuments folder, but the nook app is not recognizing anything.

i refreshed multiple times from the nook app "my files" folder
i re-logged in to the nook app on the phone
i rebooted the phone.
no luck.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

rsteabo

Reaction score
You may want to try the Overdrive Media Console. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.overdrive.mobile.android.mediaconsoleThat's what I use to read library books on my Nook. I know it's not what you were asking but it might be a good alternative.

kenman,
thanks for the suggestion. i checked it out. what i really want to do is read a friends book (word document) on my droid x. using quickoffice is painful. can you load a personal document onto overdrive media console? looking at the official site, it didnt seem so. i found a FAQ that only EPUB eBook and MP3 Audiobook formats were supported by the android app. thanks for any advice.

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
kenman,
thanks for the suggestion. i checked it out. what i really want to do is read a friends book (word document) on my droid x. using quickoffice is painful. can you load a personal document onto overdrive media console? looking at the official site, it didnt seem so. i found a FAQ that only EPUB eBook and MP3 Audiobook formats were supported by the android app. thanks for any advice.

with the kindle app you just place the files in the kindle folder and they appear in the kindle app.... might be a bit easier.