Sick of my Droid, Verizon is offering me a used Incredible...take it or not?

gohanmoka

Reaction score
not to steal the thread or anything i am havuing really crappy call quality. like i fade in and out where people cant hear me. how can i fix that

jacobrv

Reaction score
One thing you can try for call quality is to go to your dialer and type ##PROGRAM which is ##7764726 and hit call. It won't actually call, it will bring you to a password screen. Type 000000 and hit verify. Then pick 04 Vocode. This is how your voice calls are encoded. Change it to EVRC or EVRC-B, hit apply, and see if that helps. Don't change anything else if you don't know what you are doing, and just back out.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Meh, you people are just unlucky. I've only had 2 droids, and that's because I bricked the first, and returned it to get a replacement.

And no, I really don't want to tell the story anymore... it really was a brick though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

texasPI

Reaction score
Ill be on my fourth in a couple of days. First was bought on launch and in March the headphone Jack died. The refurb they sent had a bad prox sensor. Third is now having issues with anything audio related. Headphone Jack cuts in and out, static and music starts playing on its own. Bluetooth fades in and out. Gold flaked off camera button. I'm not abusive toward it at all. I just hope my fourth works fine.

OP
ned4spd8874

ned4spd8874

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. I think I will take them up on their offer. I hope it's not too different and not a large learning curve. I will miss the physical keyboard however.

As far as your voice fading in and out. One thing I have noticed is if your not holding the phone where the mic is right in front of your mouth, they won't hear you. I found that out not too long ago. My girlfriend was getting annoyed that I kept moving the phone and I was going in and out. HTH

atwooooood

Reaction score
I just received my fourth Droid today. 2 of the 3 bad ones had bad headphone jacks and the other had some software issues. My fourth one is good so far except 2 of the soft keys being purple, but at this point I'm grateful the damn thing works.

Rated_R

Reaction score
OP: get the Ally or try and push for an X. I hate the huge zit on the back of the incredible. It would have been a great phone if they would have just made the back flush.

Reaction score
take the incredible because if for example there is something wrong with it whether it be cosmetic or internal you have insurance correct? or there is 90 day warranty on refurbs. I got a new droid and it was like new one and im pretty sure they just put it in that box because there are no problems at all no a single little scratch or anything. It feels actually better than my original droid and the touch keys dont have a blue tint they light up normal white and the keyboard is flat :( thats the only bummer i was a lucky one who had a raised one since first day of release although its not bad at all txting on it since i memorized the keyboard. But i would not push for much more.

What do you mean your new phones keyboard was flat? Are you telling me the first issue droid had raised keyboards??? How is this possible, were the old dimensions of the phone thicker then? I don't see why they would make it flat if the raised ones worked.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
My wife's first died completely after 6 months. Her refurb came with the left bottom part of the keyboard up (I pressed it down), it had a pinkish hue on the bottom left of the screen and when she talked it would screech sometimes.

We took it back and she should have her third tomorrow...

vzwtek

Reaction score
I think your being WAY to anal about your phones. I doubt half of them actually had anything wrong with them.

Verizon wouldn't just exchange the phone because he was being anal about something. Maybe it was the batches the store in your area had. either way, if you are sick of the phone, then by all means try something new. The Incredible might do the trick for you, mine is definitely not slow at all and very responsive. As long as not having a key board is ok with you. Definitely don't settle for an ally, or any other step down.

Verizon will exchange anything to make the customer happy, doesn't mean that there is anything legitimately wrong with the phone, and when you go into a store location, rather than dealing with the actual issues, they will just push you out the door with a replacement, rather than replacing the phone.

I had my Flipshot (U900) replaced 13 times within a 9 month span, the manufacturer refused to fix the software issue where the phone would shut MTP access to the music files in my music folder after a long duration of using the front flip to skip for ff through songs. When i flipped it open, Music player would shut off, it would work fine for a few days, when it happened, I just called to have it replaced. No questions asked.

The reality is, customer service will replace anything if you complain about it enough. No REAL troubleshooting.

WLJohnson05

Reaction score
take the incredible because if for example there is something wrong with it whether it be cosmetic or internal you have insurance correct? or there is 90 day warranty on refurbs. I got a new droid and it was like new one and im pretty sure they just put it in that box because there are no problems at all no a single little scratch or anything. It feels actually better than my original droid and the touch keys dont have a blue tint they light up normal white and the keyboard is flat :( thats the only bummer i was a lucky one who had a raised one since first day of release although its not bad at all txting on it since i memorized the keyboard. But i would not push for much more.

What do you mean your new phones keyboard was flat? Are you telling me the first issue droid had raised keyboards??? How is this possible, were the old dimensions of the phone thicker then? I don't see why they would make it flat if the raised ones worked.

They made them flat but then came out with a slightly changed keypad with the keys slightly raised to help with the whole flat keyboard problem

vzwtek

Reaction score
One thing you can try for call quality is to go to your dialer and type ##PROGRAM which is ##7764726 and hit call. It won't actually call, it will bring you to a password screen. Type 000000 and hit verify. Then pick 04 Vocode. This is how your voice calls are encoded. Change it to EVRC or EVRC-B, hit apply, and see if that helps. Don't change anything else if you don't know what you are doing, and just back out.

And to improve the responsiveness of you sending/recieving texts/mms. If you go under modem settings, change the slot cycle index from 2 to 1. All this does is change the speed the phone leads to noc to retrieve messages/system alerts (I.E. Voice mail indication, sms blasts, your precious VVM stuff, lol, things like that)

GAPACmedic

Reaction score
I just got my 4th Droid 2 screens went blank and one would not get reception anywhere. If this new one craps out I'm going to try and get another type phone.

Reaction score
If they are offering you a used incredible take it, i mean how long could it have been used for?? A week or two? Lol.

2ndly the raised keyboard is not in response to flatkeyboard issues, i just learned of the raaised keyboard as well, but it was released early on in production not later.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk