Showing Contacts with last name first

Slothead

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to display the contents of the contacts list with last name first? I've looked at all the menu items and I don't see one that controls that characteristic.

Tom

turpindm

Reaction score
The setting that you seek is in Display Options. It's called "Sort List by"

JWDX

Reaction score

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, easiest thing is to export them, edit them with Excel or another editor, and import them back.

JWDX

Reaction score
Yeah, easiest thing is to export them, edit them with Excel or another editor, and import them back.
That's what I used, Excel. It's easy to switch the columns.

turpindm

Reaction score
Changing contact sort order

I'm using a Droid 1. To change the sort order to last name: open the contacts application, press the menu key and select Display Options (shown below), Select Sort List By, and select Last name. Your contact list will now be sorted by last name. HOWEVER, if your contacts were never entered with last and first names as separate fields, then this won't help much :-( If that's the case, I'd recommend either editing your contacts via a computer in gmail or exporting them to excel, editing them, and upload. Good luck.

Attachments

• Contacts_Display_Options.jpg
    Contacts_Display_Options.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 379

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm using a Droid 1. To change the sort order to last name: open the contacts application, press the menu key and select Display Options (shown below), Select Sort List By, and select Last name. Your contact list will now be sorted by last name. HOWEVER, if your contacts were never entered with last and first names as separate fields, then this won't help much :-( If that's the case, I'd recommend either editing your contacts via a computer in gmail or exporting them to excel, editing them, and upload. Good luck.

Well played -- I guess you do learn something every day. Thanks.

AMelis

Reaction score
Isnt this the Droid X list? Glad to hear that works on the Droid 1.

JWDX

Reaction score
My X, 2.2, doesn't have Display Options, but I wish it did. It only has Display Group.