Show your custom keyboard

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by pc747, Apr 27, 2010.

1. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Droidlife posted an article and I just created my own keyboard following their steps.

Droid Life Custom HTC_IME Keyboard Gallery

On 04.27.10, In Apps, by Kellex

Again, our readers come through with some amazing stuff. This time, reader Wes, took over the custom HTC_IME keyboard game after I posted the walk through on how to make your own. He tossed together 11 different keyboards ranging from Batman to Hello Kitty and wanted to make sure they were made available to Droid Life readers. Gotta love that right? He’s also offered up his services in case any of you have a special request. That’s right, you shoot him an email and he’ll create one for you.
    So check out his first 11 and if you don’t see one you like, shoot him an email via the attached contact form!
    *These are for all users. Non-rooted and rooted

This is my keyboard:

View attachment 7011
  2. pc747

3. pc747

Astro file manager is not required but it will make it easier.
    steps 1-6 copied directly from droid-life.

1. Visit this site and register for an account.
    2. Choose “Create a custom keyboard skin from scratch.”
    3. Choose your keyboard version. (v24 is the newest.)
    4. Follow the next few steps, choosing your color scheme.
    5. Click “Generate Keyboard.”
    6. Download your keyboard and install it. (Installation instructions here.)

I am going to add at step that is not in here:

7. download the files and save them to your desktop (easier to grab later). There should be two zip files. One for the keyboard you made the other is the clicker

8. After you mount your droid move the zip files (leave them zipped) to the download folder of your sdcard

9. use astro to install both files.

10.follow the step they laid out; which was go into settings, language, keyboard and check the htc keyboard. (I found that I had to uncheck the other key board to get it to work.)
    Update: It appears that you do need the Clicker file for calibration. Download here.
  4. kellex

kellex Premium Member Premium Member

Adding a NY Giants keyboard right now.

Oh, and we'll continue to add keyboards as our guy is making them.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  5. 928Droid

928Droid Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Here's my "Droid" Black with Red themed KB.

[​IMG]
  6. MarkDriod

MarkDriod New Member

hey 928Droid I like your HTC theme
    u can link me this?
  7. 928Droid

Here you go.... Google Docs
  8. MarkDriod

MarkDriod New Member

It work! thank you so much! :)
  9. eliassami5

eliassami5 New Member

whats the difference between version 23 and version 24. I noticed the placement of the smiley face and the 12# buttons are switched on some keyboards, and on others there is a keyboard with a down arrow in place of the smiley key.
  10. pc747

may be a diff.. I just followed what Droidlife suggested and used v 24
  11. 928Droid

That option has been in settings since at least V13 or 14? They kept adding more options with each version and now V24 has a gazzilion other optional settings.
  12. kook

kook Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Awesome stuff.
  13. eliassami5

eliassami5 New Member

ohh ok thanks, yea never really looked at the options till now. One thing i hated about this keyboard is that it wont hide when you slide down...but there is an option for that! Fantastic lol, love this thing now.
  14. pc747

I do not think we need all 24 + versions of keyboards, but be nice to see the change log for each keyboard.
  15. 928Droid

All the older versions are like older versions of Android..no longer needed. :)

v24 is the way to go.....until they release v25 :)
  16. eliassami5

eliassami5 New Member

17. 928Droid

This says swap Smile/Number key came in v20, but I would swear it was there before....

Changelog:
    • Version 24 hires lowres: Fixed: Droid/Milestone/X10 landscape kb broken due to upscaling, Alt. symbol kb. not set correctly on start input, FC on boot when using some locales, Delete last sentence tweaked
    • Version 23 hires lowres: Fixed: User dictionary broke in v22 due to changed package name. Sorry!
    • Version 22 hires lowres: New: My own package name, Fast language & keyboard switching by gestures, Settings dialog redesigned, No more .htcime on SD, all is now GUI based, Hires Clicker, Version tracking by aTrackDog. Fixed: Scale landscape KB on Droid/Milestone/X10, Add word dialog now shows kb automatically, FC on show add word dialog in landscape, Proper hires settings icon from Incredible, P and W in phone number keyboard, Workaround for back button bug in xScope browser Option: Configurable gesture actions, Show current language on start, Kill keyboard from settings, Disable voice button also for English, Use phone keypad / compact qwerty symbol kb for QWERTY, Toggle accept dict. suggestion by space, Toggle accept dict. suggestion by separators, Volume keys for dpad up/down, Gesture: Delete last sentence, Move to end of word, Cycle language, Cycle keyboard types
    • Version 21 hires lowres: Options: Move cursor with volume keys, Move Scandinavian popup chars closer to pressed key Fixed: More swipe detection tuning, Less laggy sound and vibration feedback with swiping enabled, Space insert more robust
    • Version 20 hires lowres: Options: Swipe up for shift, Swipe while composing a word (dict. showing), Swap Smiley/12# button, Insert word entered in add word dialog into edited text. Fixed: Swiping more robust, Long press on symbol key now working again, Tweaked candidate bar height calculation (Droid 2.1), Improved HTC popup timer when lag is detected (HTC bad design), Android smiley is :-\ and not :-/ , Bug in landscape autocompletion (gmail compose etc.), Autocap issues in certain cases (blame HTC :p), Better handling of (pseudo) multi touch events (easier to press space and periods etc. more quickly)
    • Version 19 hires lowres:Lowres!, Options: Clear user dictionary, Swipe down to hide keyboard, Swipe left to delete last word, Character replacement (can remove diacritic chars), Custom smileys. Changed: Import/export of user dictionary is now threaded, Pipe key added to qwerty symbol keyboard, Fixed voice hack was enabled by default even if disabled in settings
    • Version 18: Changed: Hid HTC hidden settings again (caused too much trouble). Option: Smiley button instead of hide kb button, Custom vibration length, Toggle smiley dashes. Fixed: User dictionary editor no longer FC's on modaco custom rom, Word candidate bar now works on Droid 2.1
    • Version 17: Option: Toggle prediction on/off for single line browser forms
    • Version 16: Fixed: space insertion is now disabled for password fields with compact qwerty & phone keypad, Prediction cache was not emptied in some cases resulting in weird behavior when starting input next time (prediction continued where you left off last input)
    • Version 15: Fixed URL KB space hack caused FC on slash key in compact qwerty and phone keypad
    • Version 14: Option: Disable automatic adding to user dictionary, custom popup delay for secondary characters, swipe right for voice input, toggle space insertion after separators, access hidden HTC internal settings (control vibrator etc. TAKE CARE IN HERE!), prediction in URL fields, disable key preview popup. Fixed: cleaned up settings dialog a bit, deleting voice text by back space now works again, space insertion is now always disabled in some fields (browser URL etc. caused problems). New: My own (experimental!) hard keyboard mapping code (enables space in URL for hard KB, removes need for QWERTZ hack etc.), apk version now shows my version instead of HTC's version (smoother upgrades, more logical), Import/export user dictionary, Can now enter any character into user dictionary (HTC just allowed letters and digits)
    • Version 13: Option: left align word candidate list. Fixed: experimental Droid 2.1 landscape support, more robust period insertion on space double tap, rare FC when moving the candidate list (HTC bug), typing " I'm " with compact qwerty (HTC bug), FC when clicking on disabled T9 toggle button (HTC bug), better compatibility between space insertion and smileys, User dictionary is no longer a pain to manage due to scrolling (consequence of HTC incompetence, learn how to use ListViews and Adapters guys!)
    • Version 12: Fixed rotation issues in some apps (ie Terminal). T9/ABC setting is now remembered when switching between letter/number views (HTC's bug, not mine)
    • Version 11: Fixed saving position of word suggestion list (a typo caused the same value to be used for all orientations). Fixed auto cap in browser with physical keyboard.
    • Version 10: Many new options (see feature list). Fixes: voice input in all keyboards, voice input didn't capitalize correctly, "speak now" dialog showing to early, prediction not showing for passwords anymore, auto capitalization for T9/compact QWERTY now works in browser, smoother movement of word suggestion list, settings button showed "EN" (now scaled icon from lowres), Landscape now works on Droid (with resolution related glitches)
    • Version 9: Fixed the screwed up enter key in v8. Added experimental voice server settings. For German to work you will have to use the alternative server.
    • Version 8: Added custom word candidates bar. Fixed wacky SHIFT key. Word candidate list position now remembered. Configurable in settings dialog. Added some Extras to voice input Intent copied from stock KB (missed earlier). One step closer to Droid landscape support.
    • Version 7: Fixed compatibility with Terminal Emulator in CyanogenMod, KB going haywire in CoPilot and word candidate list shows to low (hid active input field sometimes like in stock messaging app). Lowered android:minSdkVersion from 7 to 3. This could mean stock Droid support, but don't complain when it FC's on Cupcake [​IMG]
    • Version 6: Tweaks to the sentence auto capitalization code. Should now work in most web browser forms such as the message composer on this forum. Tweaked enter key behavior a bit.
    • Version 5: Show voice input button for all languages instead of EN button in all keyboards that uses the same layouts as the English ones. To fix this in all other layouts, modding binary XML is required. I need help with that. Voice input seems to use your current locale if supported, and English as fallback.
    • Version 4: New voice input control logic that doesn't break Google Voice search. Changed voice processing URL from dev server to stock keyboard settings.
    • Version 3: Fixed FC in User Dictionary editor. Fixed HTC not obeying EditorInfo.imeOption flag flagNoEnterAction (caused two sends in stock messaging app)
    • Version 2: Fixed FC in user database
    • Version 1: Initial release featuring language settings hack with .htcime and dictionary support in web browser forms. Tested on N1. Clicker is low res for now.
  18. pc747

19. 928Droid

And the gimpsta custom generated keyboard site keep sgetting better and better!!

http://www.gimpsta.com/themer/main.php

New changes...

Latest Additions:

4/26/2010 Added ability to choose any color for background!

4/27/2010 Added 1 new key style (green desire) and about 20 spacebar symbols (created by you guys!)

4/27/2010 Added option to preview keyboard before generating it! Note, this is as close as I can come to a real preview but may not be exact.

4/27/2010 Added option to see/reuse all skins you have generated!

4/27/2010 Added option to see/reuse last 25 skins anyone has generated!
  20. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Mad Props for this thread and keyboard generator!!!!! By far the easiest and best customization tool I have found

Thanks Thanks Thanks
Search tags for this page
android custom keyboard diacritic
android develop custom keyboard
android tablet usb keyboard
custom keyboard color zip android

free hello kitty keyboard for android

free hello kitty yeyboards for s3
hello kitty icon theme
hello kitty keyboard theme for android
hello kitty keypad xt9
how to custom hello kitty color keyboard in landscape