Shout out to the last of line of great QWERTY Droid phones

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The line started with the original Motorola Droid from 2009 and ended with the Motorola Droid 4 in 2012. We all remember the flat keys and the gold button that was synonymous with the old droid (old school root users remember power + x button). Sholes (name used for the Verizon Motorola Droid) was built like a tank and was a key device in establishing Motorola as the manufacturer known for build quality and strong radios.

In an attempt to correct some of the issues from the old droid (flat keys and headphone jack) Google and Motorola followed up the droid with the Droid 2. Though it was overshadowed by the more popular Motorola Droid X, the Droid 2 captured the look of the Droid X while keeping the keyboard. Coupled with the Droid 2 global edition, the Droid 2 proved to be a popular device for Verizon.

About time Motorola released the Droid 3, the popularity of keyboard phones have declined significantly. Thanks to larger screens and Swype, people gravitated to the more sexy looking thin devices vs the bulky keyboard phone. And it didn't help that the Droid 3 was a 3G phone released at a time when LTE phones were entering the market. Still the Droid 3 found a home among people still wanting a QWERTY keyboard slider.

The Droid 4 was considered a disappointment. Trying to capture the look of the Razr, the smaller battery along with poor battery life doomed this phone out of the gate. But really this phone was doomed before it was released. Poor sells made the Droid 4 the last of the line that started with an iconic phone but ended in a major disappointment.

The market has shown that they are no longer interested in keyboard phones. Despite the nostalgia people have with the old Droid, predictive text and Swype proved to be as effective as the QWERTY from back in the day.

So how many Droid phones have you owned?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Only 3.

Droid X
Droid Bionic
Droid Maxx

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Only 2(3)
2 Droid x, both bad then the X's global replacement... Also went bad... My Moto luck was bad, but my Daughter had great luck with the original Droid and it's replacement.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
A few.

Droid
Droid 3
Droid Bionic
Droid RAZR M
Droid Maxx
Droid Turbo
Droid Turbo 2 (the best Droid yet...IMHO).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk