Should You Ever Buy A New Phone Again?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
For my Note 4, I pay like $26 a month on the Edge plan, so your estimate is pretty close, but still a tad off if you're looking for savings. This isn't really a savings thing, unless, like you pointed out, you're willing to keep your phone past 2 years.

Right? Just trying to show the savings is SO minimal there's really no point to rushing out and grabbing a $200 phone before that deadline on that particular 1GB plan. Different plans, who knows?!?

No need to apologize to me. There are plenty of people who will ;-)

I know. Like those people that buy those $1,000 video cards. ;) or those members here who buy new phones every 6 months. :D

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
@jackiescivic, have you heard any word on those of us who received the "double your data" deal? Now that I posted my last post, I think I'm getting more of a raw deal if I have to move to one of these new "plans" than I originally thought.
That's a good question. My personal guess is that you'll finally be pushed off the old plan. As we know, they have been gunning for the complete removal of those for at least 2 years. I will ask on Tuesday when I see my rep

Sent from my Verizon G4

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
looks like th end of the contract plan..
That's not necessarily a bad thing. Manufacturers should develop at least one device that's usable across all carriers, allowing the user to shop and find the best deal/service in their area.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Can't believe Im asking this since i should already know the answer but the Nexus 6 is a Phone that can pretty much run on any Network? VZW, ATT, T-Mo, Sprint, Etc.. IF so are there any others, even older ones that can be found cheaper?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Can't believe Im asking this since i should already know the answer but the Nexus 6 is a Phone that can pretty much run on any Network? VZW, ATT, T-Mo, Sprint, Etc.. IF so are there any others, even older ones that can be found cheaper?
The answer here is pretty much No. The new Moto X pure will be sold independent of carriers and have all of the bands needed to work on any US Carrier. Unfortunately, many of these phones we're starting to see more of from overseas by Hauwei and Eulephone (sp?) only have the ability to work on the GSM carriers (ATT and T-mo in the states).

Hopefully this will spur more manufacturers to make devices that will work on any US carrier. It'll be very interesting to see how all of this pans out in the long run. VZW has a history of not liking "random" devices on their network...

Amagine

Reaction score
Hopefully this will spur more manufacturers to make devices that will work on any US carrier. It'll be very interesting to see how all of this pans out in the long run. VZW has a history of not liking "random" devices on their network...

This is because they need to confirm that supercookies will still work across said device. Verizon is about as empirical about their ecosystem as Apple is about theirs. They'll say that it is all about the experience on their network, when in reality, its about the location and usage data.

I'm thinking of testing out project Fi or T-Mo once they've expanded their respective networks to cover the areas or phones I would like to use.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This is because they need to confirm that supercookies will still work across said device. Verizon is about as empirical about their ecosystem as Apple is about theirs. They'll say that it is all about the experience on their network, when in reality, its about the location and usage data.

I'm thinking of testing out project Fi or T-Mo once they've expanded their respective networks to cover the areas or phones I would like to use.
You do know they finally offered the option to opt-out of the super cookie tracking, right?

Also, I've said it all over this forum, but I agree with you. I'd love to try fi out if the coverage existed in my area, but it doesn't and doubt it will any time very soon...

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The answer here is pretty much No. The new Moto X pure will be sold independent of carriers and have all of the bands needed to work on any US Carrier. Unfortunately, many of these phones we're starting to see more of from overseas by Hauwei and Eulephone (sp?) only have the ability to work on the GSM carriers (ATT and T-mo in the states).

They will also only work on 4G. Well, U.S. 4G which is not the same as the rest of the world's 4G. One benefit of that is you still get good speeds, but don't have the battery killing side effects of LTE.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Im Looking @ the Elephone P8000 for my Possible next Phone. Has anyone used one of these Elephones in the US and if so which provider?