Should we be using security apps?

BullysonRazor

Reaction score
There is a broad selection of security apps to choose from and with the heightened scare of viruses what works well and which bites?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I personally don't use them. Viruses aren't too common on Android and as long as you don't download anything strange then you should be good. I've always said a little common sense goes a long way

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
Problem is common sense is so very uncommon nowadays.

gling

Reaction score
Just for peace of mind, I will occasionally hook my phone to my laptop and scan the files and folders with the anti virus/malware programs running on the computer.
For me the threat is minimal enough to not warrant another app running full time on the phone.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Just for peace of mind, I will occasionally hook my phone to my laptop and scan the files and folders with the anti virus/malware programs running on the computer.
For me the threat is minimal enough to not warrant another app running full time on the phone.

Hmm...never really thought of doing that to be honest. That's a really good idea. Tip of the day:hail:

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I'm going to tell you the same thing I say to everyone when I speak about computer safety;
<br>
You don't need security software. You need to be cautious and wary of what you're downloading/opening. In 7 years I have never gotten a virus on my PC's, with the exception of a windows rootkit which was inside of a >torrented< and >pirated< game.
<br>
Which brings me to my point...In my experience (and I know some ITS professionals are going to jump out of the DF woodwork and yell at me about botnets and distributed attacks) the only time you get viruses are when you download and install them from non-reputable sources. If the source of the software/image/attachment/etc. is absolutely verifiable then there is NO worry. It's all about knowing what it is you're getting and where its coming from.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
I don't use antivirus on my phone but in the future who knows we have coming.

You also have to worry about those you know(trusted sources) that are far from careful or full-out reckless with what goes thru the pc and then forwards a file to you that may be infected

Sent from my VTAB1008 using DroidForums

TheOldFart

Reaction score

It seems to me that would only catch known viruses in the database that are Windows viruses. I would think that Android viruses are entirely different and would not be seen by any virus program for the PC.

gling

Reaction score
While I assume much of the malware coming from apps in the market target the Android system more specifically, some of the garbage people are getting is undoubtedly coming from attachments in emails and web browsing/downloads. That is what I'm hoping a program like Malwarebytes Anti Malware would help in detecting although I could be way off on this. Like it was said in the previous posts, it all boils down to sensible use when downloading apps and opening email attachments on the phone just like we're all accustom do doing with our computers.

Mike8016

Reaction score
I just use lookout. It protects me from viruses and if I lose my phone ican locate it. Its not necessary but for peace of mind

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

DavePerez

Reaction score
I use Norton and it is simple and unobtrusive. It doesn't hurt to have the added peace of mind. It has some added features, anti-theft, call and sms blocking and web protection with the paid version but the free is fine for me.