Should the community have the right to demand an upgrade or.....

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Should the Android community have the right on new devices they just purchased on contract either an update or the ability to provide it themselves through the development community. One of the arguments against locked bootloaders is that carriers and oems can sell you a phone that they have no intentions of supporting in order to sell more phones. Motorola's $100 credit to me is a joke especially for those who bought a device a year before and have to wait another year or pay full retail. Not every one has $300 a year to spend on a phone and with devices retail more than 50inch tvs it is not too much to ask for at least 1.5 yrs of support. And if the og droid can run jb then anything after it should not be an issue. Now I understand from an oems perspective after a period of time it may not be cost efficient to continue to upgrade a device so the moment they can not they should allow customers to seek updates from other sources. To me this is the elephant in the room for android manufacturers vs iOS . Apple supports their devices well beyond the customers contract period where as android oems stop supporting the devices (it seems) as soon as they sell the device.

I dont know how or what it would take but it would be awesome if the community could put aside its differences and some how find away to be able to make it a requirement to either offer 2 yr support (other that maintenance updates) or unlock the bootloaders even on verizon.

Google, Motorola urged to leak Ice Cream Sandwich / Jelly Bean internal ROMs for Atrix 4G, Photon

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;fuYajdqhmk8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuYajdqhmk8[/video]

Reaction score
Not that this is s good reason at ask but... Apple supports a very limited number of devices. Android oems sometimes release 4+ devices a year, sometimes that many phones alone not including tablets. This makes it very difficult for them to upgrade every single device as they all have different hardware and software. Also carriers cause as lot of problems because they delay releases for so long... ask any person on Verizon. Like I said. This isn't a good reason but it is one of many reasons why old devices don't get upgraded. That and they want you to buy new devices. Apple knows it's sheep are going to upgrade regardless of software updates but it is easy for them to update older devices because they only have one model of each device a year there isn't 3 versions of the same iPad every year, just once a year... (That is a generalized statement as MOST iPhone users are the stereotype but not ALL).

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx CM10 KOA Resurrection

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
agree and the other issue is the manufacturer skins. Plus eventually the device will not be able to handle the latest software fully, ie the og droid having multitask issues with jb. And there is the notion that it requires a developer to support it. So this is not as easy as "1,2,3". One of the things that help with brand loyalty is continued support for the device. If a customer spends his/her hard money and the manufacturer kicked the device to the curb when the user looks for support then the user will more likely go else where for their device.

vatothe0

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Motorola has released more phones in 2012 than Apple has, ever.

There's pros and cons for both methods.