Should I worry (I always do) apps safety / security

sterdroids

Reaction score
When I am down loading an app and it has all these warnings before installing.

Should I worry about these and not load the app?

The app has access to the following

1- my location
2- network comm
3-personal info
4-Sd Card
5-phone calls (read phone state and identity)
6- directly call phone number and send sms
7-modify sys settings

I would never let that happen to my pc if I could help it.

Please advise. Dont want to get all excited and give the keys to the kingdom away too fast by DL junk then regretting it and finding out even after an unistall its still spying on me.

thanks

iSecks

Reaction score
When I am down loading an app and it has all these warnings before installing.

Should I worry about these and not load the app?

The app has access to the following

1- my location
2- network comm
3-personal info
4-Sd Card
5-phone calls (read phone state and identity)
6- directly call phone number and send sms
7-modify sys settings

I would never let that happen to my pc if I could help it.

Please advise. Dont want to get all excited and give the keys to the kingdom away too fast by DL junk then regretting it and finding out even after an unistall its still spying on me.

thanks

Well it really depends on what app it is. If it's an app that does something on your SD card, it should be fine to allow it access to it. If it's some sort of map application, maybe something that finds nearby restaurants, it should be okay to let it use GPS. Some things like home replacements need to be allowed a lot of access since they do more things. It really just depends on the app in question.

ashkev843

Reaction score
I put an app called lookout on mine just to be safe. Free download from the market. Scans everything you download before it installs...pretty neat little app can't. Hurt anything to have it.

silverx10

Reaction score
I've actually come to see that particular screen as being nothing more than the Android version of Vista's User Access Controls, asking you if it's alright to install/uninstall/etc. specific applications from your computer.

Only, with more information, of course.

That being said, with all of the apps I've downloaded and installed so far, I've yet to be concerned with any of them making use of any particular facet of the phone. And if there were a way to disable the warning screen for the Android Market, I'd prolly disable that as quickly as I disabled the UAC on Vista.

But that's just me. ;)

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies they all make sense. Just feel like not letting my guard down before I hear the pros and cons. I will checkout lookout and also stick with the most highly rated apps.

iSecks

Reaction score
And if there were a way to disable the warning screen for the Android Market, I'd prolly disable that as quickly as I disabled the UAC on Vista.

Well, I wouldn't really go as far as to disable it. It'd be nice to know if that one app I get to do XYZ tries to get my location when it has no need for it.

Raeuber

Reaction score
I also was concerned about this. What is the Androids vurnerability to viruses or malware?

Dan.Droid

Reaction score
I also was concerned about this. What is the Androids vurnerability to viruses or malware?

I don't think there are any viruses or malware for Android phones at the moment. Being basically Linux, you don't really have much to worry about. If you're worried, do a marketplace search for Mobile Security by Lookout. It is an antivirus for Android phones, even if it is completely pointless right now.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I don't think there are any viruses or malware for Android phones at the moment. Being basically Linux, you don't really have much to worry about. If you're worried, do a marketplace search for Mobile Security by Lookout. It is an antivirus for Android phones, even if it is completely pointless right now.

Yup, no confirmed viruses on Android as of yet. And all the warnings about security are no different than application permissions on your PC. It's just the phone/app letting you know what needs to be accessed in order for it to operate properly. I wouldn't worry.