Should I Upgrade?

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
My wife has an upgrade available that she has no interest in using. I love the Droid 4 cause i've always wanted to try a full QWERTY. I also love the Razr Maxx for a few reasons. Should I upgrade my Bionic, and if so, which should I get? Opinions? Thanks everyone!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
If you are dying for the keyboard then probably. But the Maxx.. you could just get an extended battery for the Bionic no? The user experience wont be much different. There are some incredible new phones right around the corner (see front page for the new cpu's) and I'd keep that upgrade for some of those! They will be a HUGE jump in tech.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Hang on to the upgrade, wait to see what is coming mid-year

Sent from my now freaking awesome, butt-kicking .902 Droid Bionic using TapaTalk

JeffDenver

Reaction score
My wife has an upgrade available that she has no interest in using. I love the Droid 4 cause i've always wanted to try a full QWERTY. I also love the Razr Maxx for a few reasons. Should I upgrade my Bionic, and if so, which should I get? Opinions?
If you are happy with the Droid4, I would say no. The only thing the Droid 4 is missing is a 720p display. In every other way, it is a tier1 phone.

Otherwise, yes, upgrade. I would say the Rezound > Galaxy Nexus > LG Spectrum, in that order. But it really depends on what features are most important to you. All of those phones have significantly better displays than the Droid4 though.

OP
LegalAmerican

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions Jeff, but we kinda hashed out the Rezound in another thread already. The Rezound doesn't interest me in the slightest possible way. Neither does the Spectrum. The Nexus looks okay, but I prefer the Droid line of phones. So it would certainly be between the Droid 4 or the Razr Maxx. I'm not entirely a smartphone connossiuer (however that's spelled) so can someone smarter than me tell me in layman's terms, what the new phones will do that is superior to the current phones? Thanks again.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
If you already have a Droid 4, and the Rezound/Nexus/Spectrum doesn't interest you, then there is really no reason to upgrade at all. I would just keep it and wait for the tri- and quad-core phones to come out.

The main thing all the newer phones have better is the display. There are some other minor things they do better (they are a little faster, the Nexus has NFC, ect...). Other than that, there is not a significant advancement over the Bionic IMO.

OP
LegalAmerican

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
Have you ever tried reading the first post instead of just skimming? Try again. I don't have a Droid 4. I WANT a Droid 4.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
My wife has an upgrade available that she has no interest in using. I love the Droid 4 cause i've always wanted to try a full QWERTY. I also love the Razr Maxx for a few reasons. Should I upgrade my Bionic, and if so, which should I get? Opinions? Thanks everyone!

The QWERTY keyboard is a great feature. I don't like it but I do..... I know u can't have it both ways... the thing is that with the keyboard I can text faster than heck... get to a virtual keyboard and I can make probably 35 mistakes a minute.... literally mistakes with the virtual.

And I have relatively normal sized hands for a guy that's nearly 6 ft 7 inches tall.

The maxx.... its awesome. Great battery life(turn it off once in a while to charge.. made the big difference on mine) thin, a bit wide at first, even for a guy my size.

The chassis is not as rigid as the bionic, and as of right now the icons are ics icons.... just be careful of sticking it in your back pocket and sitting down... I've seen 4 of them die that way...

It was tragic that the people weren't more cautious.

sent from my RAZR MAXX

Last edited:
OP
LegalAmerican

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
What do you think of your Razr Maxx? Cause I like that one as well. I just suck at digital keyboards.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Thanks for the suggestions Jeff, but we kinda hashed out the Rezound in another thread already. The Rezound doesn't interest me in the slightest possible way. Neither does the Spectrum. The Nexus looks okay, but I prefer the Droid line of phones. So it would certainly be between the Droid 4 or the Razr Maxx. I'm not entirely a smartphone connossiuer (however that's spelled) so can someone smarter than me tell me in layman's terms, what the new phones will do that is superior to the current phones? Thanks again.

I've been doing a bunch of reading on the new phones/chipsets. Here is a quote that got to me! "You're looking at a generational gap in architecture here, not simply a clock bump". Much better performance in general, next gen LTE chips etc.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Have you ever tried reading the first post instead of just skimming? Try again. I don't have a Droid 4. I WANT a Droid 4.
So get a Droid 4. You've said nothing else interests you. I dont get what you're asking for.

There is nothing better than those four phones on Verizon right now. If you like the Droid 4, and the other phones dont interest you, then get the Droid 4.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
All in all, since my battery issues are cured... I love the maxx.

I'm taking a trip this Friday, going back to Montana for a few weeks.... I'll report on how the Maxx acts during my down time.... driving from southeast TX. The sucky part is I'm leaving 4g to go to 3g.

sent from my RAZR MAXX

OP
LegalAmerican

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
So get a Droid 4. You've said nothing else interests you. I dont get what you're asking for.

There is nothing better than those four phones on Verizon right now. If you like the Droid 4, and the other phones dont interest you, then get the Droid 4.

Again, read my post if you want to know what i'm asking! I said the Razr Maxx and the 4 interest me! Everyone else is being helpful, so obviously they got it. Thanks for your comments/suggestions.

jhom

Reaction score
What do you think of your Razr Maxx? Cause I like that one as well. I just suck at digital keyboards.

Have you tried typing in landscape mode rather than portrait mode on your Bionic? I find it a bit easier in landscape. Also, I use Swiftkey. It has made a world of difference for me.

OP
LegalAmerican

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
Yeah i've tried. I bought Swiftkey and I actually prefer Swype. But Swype just has SO MANY errors all the time. Landscape mode isn't horrible but I still wonder if physical keys are better. Basically the killer for the Droid 4 would be battery life. Which is why I also am considering the Maxx.