Should i update to ICS on rooted razr? if so, How?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by md62014, Aug 6, 2012.

1. md62014

md62014 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a droid Razr,

System 6.12.181.xt912
    Build 6.5.1-167

rooted, no rom's installed.

Used clockworkmod recovery v5.0.2.5

how do i unroot to update to ICS and should i?
    I tried voodoo OTA but no luck.

Still learning this stuff so i'm no expert.

Main thing for me is not to brick it.

2. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid Silver Member

Ratings:
    +354
    Welcome to DF md62014. There are some great threads on updating to ICS and rooting. I would recommend that you first read, read, read then before you proceed ask questions for anything you are not sure about. I would consider Sydman, MattyP and FoxKat the resident experts (and a few others) on upgrading and rooting with ICS. Be careful also because there are some very easy upgrading and rooting utilities but can brick your phone if you are using the wrong utility for your current version.

You are currently on gingerbread, so the first thing to do would be to unroot. When you said you tried Voodoo with no luck, does that mean you have Voodoo but you weren't successful in getting back to stock? or installing?

As far as whether you should udpate to ICS, that is a tough one. It is a bit different and you have to do some things differently but I do not feel that I have lost any functionality with my ICS and I love it. There are others that would love to go back to GB. The pne thing that is for certain... once you make the move to ICS, there is no turning back.

3. Ct6

Ct6 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same root updating without preserving root

Hi there. I've got the same root version as above. (Clockwork Mod Recovery v5.0.2.5) Can I still use any of the unroot tools? I bought the phone off ebay and have no clue how to any of this but can't update to ICS with the OTA Update as it keeps failing. What is my best option if I'm not bothered about preserving the root but want ICS? And is it newbie proof? MANY THANKS!