Should I unroot my phone before froyo?

weisguy

Reaction score
A very similarly-themed question I have a rooted droid x. I have renamed blockbuster, kindle, amazon mp3, corporate directory, skype, and Verizon voicemail.

Today (all day... for about 8 hours now) I noticed that when I manually check for system updates I get an error message that says "Check for updates was not available at this time. Try again later."

Does simply being rooted and naming a few apk's eliminate the ability to check for updates? I already understand that I will need to unroot and restore the renamed apk's when froyo hits the X.

Or is this just what everyone who has a Droid X is getting at this moment?

Eolly

Reaction score
A very similarly-themed question I have a rooted droid x. I have renamed blockbuster, kindle, amazon mp3, corporate directory, skype, and Verizon voicemail.

Today (all day... for about 8 hours now) I noticed that when I manually check for system updates I get an error message that says "Check for updates was not available at this time. Try again later."

Does simply being rooted and naming a few apk's eliminate the ability to check for updates? I already understand that I will need to unroot and restore the renamed apk's when froyo hits the X.

Or is this just what everyone who has a Droid X is getting at this moment?
I just tried it and I got a message sayin my phone was up to date.
I think it might be something you renamed.
But it looks like you and I renamed the same things so I dunno.

Immolate

Reaction score
I am rooted and have installed some root-only apps, but I haven't removed or renamed any apps. I get the "not available" message as well.

weisguy

Reaction score
I uninstalled wireless tether and was able to check for updates again. Thought I'd share.

EDIT: nope, that wasn't it. I am getting a notice that updates are not available again. This leads me to believe the problem might be on the server side and not anything to do with the handset.

Last edited:

quadjacks

Reaction score
I have rooted, have a couple Root only apps and have renamed a few and when I check for update, I get, Your device is up to date! No update necessary at this time... So mixed results.

Humpa

Reaction score
I have rooted, have a couple Root only apps and have renamed a few and when I check for update, I get, Your device is up to date! No update necessary at this time... So mixed results.
It works for me too.
I have Root Explorer and DroCap and that's about it. I haven't renamed any apps. The update thing doesn't give me any error - though I wish Moto/VZW would hurry up and give us a reason to use that system update option!

oo3

Reaction score
It works for me too.
I have Root Explorer and DroCap and that's about it. I haven't renamed any apps. The update thing doesn't give me any error - though I wish Moto/VZW would hurry up and give us a reason to use that system update option!

Works for me. I have rooted apps and renamed about 10 .apk files.

weisguy

Reaction score
thanks for all the help everyone - i've determined the update check for me just happens to work sometimes and not work sometimes no matter what i do. maybe you can only check so often, or maybe verizon/motorola's servers are flaky.

tsimonster

Reaction score
I know this because that how rooting works. You can not install an ota and remain rooted. You can't even install an ota while you are rooted and that is that.

Note to self, ignore this guy at all times :)

Rooted x installed update just fine AS LONG AS you have the required OE apps installed.