Should I try .246?

linuxgator

Reaction score
Anyone know what the criteria is? Shouldn't the hardware all be the same?

No, there were a few different revisions of the processor, though that doesn't seem to be the main criteria. You probably can still overclock it to 1.2, and may or may not have performance issues with it. One thing that processor manufacturers tend to do is manufacture things to a higher speed, and if they show they can't run at that speed due to material variances, they just underclock them and sell them as a slower processor. Oftentimes, they just take a whole batch of them and do that. So these CPUs may have been originally manufactured at 1.2GHz, too many of them were not able to perform to that standard, so they underclocked and sold as 1 GHz (pure speculation based on common practices).

jayrod

Reaction score
Anyone know what the criteria is? Shouldn't the hardware all be the same?

It's just a luck of the draw..just like desktop processors. Some can safely handle OCing and you can always OC it yourself. Mine is 1.2 but I dropped it down to 1 in hopes of saving some juice.. I'm to chicken to grab the scripts to change governors and dropping voltage

Sent from my. 244 ICS leaked BIONIC

Last edited:

linuxgator

Reaction score
Then your phone doesn't pass the check that Moto put in place. Forcing the issue could cause instability.

This is very true. I oveclocked my Droid 3, which had the same processor if I remember correctly, and it would just randomly reboot when running at 1.2GHz. Did alright at 1.1GHz most of the time though.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
This is very true. I oveclocked my Droid 3, which had the same processor if I remember correctly, and it would just randomly reboot when running at 1.2GHz. Did alright at 1.1GHz most of the time though.

I had to add an entry to my FAQ about this because someone who's phone DID get changed to 1.2 had MASSIVE stability problems. And like a perfect user, rather than blaming the update for it he decided to dig deeper. My thought was to try underclocking it back to 1ghz. That fixed it immediately. So it goes to show that the check they put in isn't flawless.

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
Also, if you do force the oc you have to reflash to "undo" becauae you lose your 1 Ghz slot altogether, haven't heard of anybody having stability issues as bad as that guy sam's talking about, his sh*t was SCATTERED until he underclocked it.

GlueFactoryBJJ

Reaction score
I guess my bottom line question with this are two-fold.

1. Will there be a way to get back on the OTA path once 246 is installed?

2. What reasons are there for going to 246 rather than 232 other than (apparently) battery life?

Thanks for your help!

Scott

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
GlueFactoryBJJ said:

2. What reasons are there for going to 246 rather than 232 other than (apparently) battery life?

Thanks for your help!

Scott

Yes its called HOB

GlueFactoryBJJ

Reaction score
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by GlueFactoryBJJ

Thanks for your help!

Scott

Yes its called HOB

OK, I HAVE read the HOB OP post. Do I have the time to read all 64 pages/2500+ posts? No. Who does?

In the OP, it says that if you go to .235 or higher that you can't get back to .905. That doesn't sound like it will allow getting back on the OTA path if I were to install .235 or higher.

Since this is a thread specifically on .246, I thought it was the appropriate place to ask this question.

Again, going back to the original questions I posted... any CONSTRUCTIVE answers?

Scott

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Well 246 is bigger than 235...guess that one's solved.

altspeed

Reaction score
But those of us 235 and above can move between leaks 235 and above with no problem. The ota will be 246, or at the very least above 235, so, SHOULD be no issue being on or moving to the OTA, at least that's what a bunch of us are betting. It slaughters GB in every way regardless so I could personally live with it even stuck.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
But those of us 235 and above can move between leaks 235 and above with no problem. The ota will be 246, or at the very least above 235, so, SHOULD be no issue being on or moving to the OTA, at least that's what a bunch of us are betting. It slaughters GB in every way regardless so I could personally live with it even stuck.

Only for those that have time to read. I have zero patience for anything else.

altspeed

Reaction score
SamuriHL said:
Only for those that have time to read. I have zero patience for anything else.

But yeah, don't disrespect the work involved. It also says in the op that this is not a shortcut......nothing about it can be viewed as a shortcut or taken casually or you'll have a brick and none of us will be willing to help if you don't even have intelligently posed questions and haven't put in ALL the study time, we never had to read all of it at once, we were there as it accumulated, watching and learning.