Should I take my Droid to Europe?

exp

Reaction score
I'm heading to Germany, Luxembourg, and Paris in May. It sure would be nice to have access to my emails and google maps over wifi. I know the networks won't be compatible at all. Do you think it's worth taking over there? I'm not aware of a way to turn off the 3G radio on the Droid so I'm afraid I'll rack up a bunch of international data charges somehow on accident.

As an aside, I think it's completely stupid that you can turn off the 3G radio on a Hero or Eris but not the Droid. Please don't derail this thread though if you want to explain some crazy hack to make it work! :)

Milehighjc

Reaction score
step 1 : turn on airplane mode (will turn off all radios)

step 2 : turn on wifi

PatG

Reaction score
I'm heading to Germany, Luxembourg, and Paris in May. It sure would be nice to have access to my emails and google maps over wifi. I know the networks won't be compatible at all. Do you think it's worth taking over there? I'm not aware of a way to turn off the 3G radio on the Droid so I'm afraid I'll rack up a bunch of international data charges somehow on accident.

As an aside, I think it's completely stupid that you can turn off the 3G radio on a Hero or Eris but not the Droid. Please don't derail this thread though if you want to explain some crazy hack to make it work! :)

Google Maps won't work as you need a data connection.

I took mine to Switzerland last month and basically only used it as an alarm clock. I had my laptop with me for e-mails. I downloaded MapDroyd but did not get it to work.

tehpriest

Reaction score
It was mentioned in another thread that VZ may do a GSM loaner for people travelling. Don't know if that is correct though.

Milehighjc

Reaction score
Maps can work to the extent that you can find a WIFI connection, but PatG is right, it wont do anything without a data connection of some type. I tried Viamici on a recent trip to London - which in theory should have let me use an jpg, gif, or png map with my GPS, however I never got it to work.

Also, in theory you can use an app like Fring or sipdroid to do IM messages and VOIP calling using a wifi connection. I dont know about your destinations, but finding wifi service in London was nearly impossible, at least if you want a free hotspot.

jc

Wdinteman

Reaction score
Can you use Skype Mobile with a US Droid X in Europe? What would make it work?

Marine

Reaction score
Go for it, just use skype if you can
happysmile.gif

Abadus

Reaction score
I was in the hospital and able to use their wifi and Google voice to text my wife when I had 0 signal.

You can set you phone not to roam as well.