Should I take back theeris for a moto droid

tktouch12

Reaction score
Like I knew was going to happen, my dad got me an htc eris instead of a moto droid. I told him a million times I wanted the droid. So I'm debating if I should go get a moto droid or keep the eris. Money isn't a factor in this.
I like some things about the eris alot.
- I really think the trackball is handy
- htc makes amazing widgets. Their calendar, clock, messaging, and music widgets are all soo good and I would miss them
- sense ui is pretty nice, but it's not a big deal, except I like the 8 home screens
there are some things I don't like about it
- the screen isn't as big and doesn't have as many pixels
- no led flash
- it's not very wide. The thing is I use my phone in portrait mode a lot with two hands to text. The screen being narrow makes that difficult
- it seems sluggish at times
- not as big of a support base
what I hope I will like about a droid
- physical keyboard (great for browsing)
- screen size and resolution
- more ppl have, bigger focus for hacks, rooting, etc
- faster all around?
What I'm worried about for droid
- bad quality sound from headphone port?
- cheap hardware
- not finding good widgets like htc's

this are my main things, I may have forgotten a few things. What should I do?
I'm thinking I would get a moto droid as long as the headphone port sounded good, but idk
thanks, and I'm sorry for cluttering the forum with threads like this, but I can come to u guys for good advice

One last thing: I'm typing all this on my eris and the keyboard isn't even close to keeping up with me. I habe to type so slow right now. Is this a to type so slow right now. Is this a problem with apps (in background, I dont think i have many), Android in general, or the eris? It's bad and causes a ton of typos. dont think i have many), Android in general, or the eris? It's bad and causes a ton of typos.

Last edited:

TuffGong

Reaction score
There's many widgets and apps that replicate HTC's closely. There is also an app called Launcher+ which is a barebone app that just lets you have more home screens (up to 7).

shademar

Reaction score
Like I knew was going to happen, my dad got me an htc eris instead of a moto droid. I told him a million times I wanted the droid. So I'm debating if I should go get a moto droid or keep the eris. Money isn't a factor in this.

Concerns aside, you may have just answered your own question. ;) That being said...

Headphone port: valid concern (I exchanged mine because of an aux port issue), but seems to only be affecting a subset of units and easy to arrange an exchange for in my experience. My second unit has been great so far.

Screen size and resolution: Is awesome. That is all.

Cheap hardware: I'm not sure what qualifies as 'cheap' but I'm pretty sure I could crack someone's skull with this thing if I needed to. It's about the most solid piece of electronic equipment I've owned since getting a thinkpad. I love it, but it really feels like a serious chunk of metal and glass in the hand. If diminutive and rounded is your thing, however, it might not hold as much appeal...

There are a great selection of widgets and an active dev and hacker community...you could get 2.1 right now if you so desired. I have no doubt the phone will only become more customizable with time. (Time being weeks to months, not years.) As mentioned, you can easily get 7 screens running a free home replacement app (I'm a fan of home++) or rooting and upgrading to 2.1.

There's certain things the droid is a bit rusty on IMO...The music app and the gallery could use some updates. But this is approximately month two post-release...see immediately above.

My guess is that both phones have their drawbacks, but you have a pretty good idea which features you're more interested in. Go see if you can get your paws on one and make a hands-on judgement, and good luck!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
When I got my DROID a few weeks ago my wife "upgraded" her first generation ENV to the ERIS. She's not a gadget freak like me; she just wanted to be able to receive attachments in her email. Unfortunately, she had to give up a physical keyboard. And after 10 days of trying to adjust she gave up and returned the phone. As it turned out, the Eris she had was buggy, making the virtual keyboard almost impossible to use reliably. But the damage had been done. (No second chances for a good first impression.)

So now she's looking at alternatives. She considers the DROID too large and heavy compared to her ENV, but she wants a physical keyboard, a big screen, and a short, easy learning curve. Suffice to say that I'm happy she didn't impose the same impossible standards when she selected a husband.

coolkidd

Reaction score
If you are within the 30-day period, GO GET THE DROID! and try it out for another 30 days.... then you can choose if you want to go back to Eris or stay with the Droid.

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. Your posts were very helpful,
I'm thinking I'm going to en up with a droid
One last thing: I'm typing all this on my eris and the keyboard isn't even close to keeping up with me. I habe to type so slow right now. Is this a problem with apps (in background, I dont think i have many), Android in general, or the eris? It's bad and causes a ton of typos.

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. Your posts were very helpful,
I'm thinking I'm going to en up with a droid
One last thing: I'm typing all this on my eris and the keyboard isn't even close to keeping up with me. I habe to type so slow right now. Is this a problem with apps (in background, I dont think i have many), Android in general, or the eris? It's bad and causes a ton of typos.

LordKastle

Reaction score
the virtual keyboards do not have multitouch enabled..maybe some day an upgrade will change that or someone will release a keyboard add with it implemented.

that being said, it should keep up but it will not allow you to be lightning fast. the physical keyboard allows you to travel at light-speed though, once you get used to it...have no worries.

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
Ok but right now its not even close. I hate to compare this to iPhone, but I can go 3 times faster on my ipod touch, and i dont think it has multitouch either (or I don't think i use it)
This is really slow though and its slowing me down.

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
Ok but right now its not even close. I hate to compare this to iPhone, but I can go 3 times faster on my ipod touch, and i dont think it has multitouch either (or I don't think i use it)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Actually, you seem to be doing an excellent job of typing your posts twice. ;)

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
Haha. No really idk wats wrong. Ya and for some reason its posting everything twice, idk why

tbever

Reaction score
Haha. No really idk wats wrong. Ya and for some reason its posting everything twice, idk why

Droid keyboard is pretty fast once you get used to it but it is still pretty easy to make typos but hitting 2 keys at once.

JFM-jr

Reaction score
I got the Eris and my wife the Moto and it did not take very long to see I liked the Moto better. I returned the Eris and walked out with a Moto for myself. The screen is larger and crisper display. The fact at the time (and still may be the case) it did not support turn by turn navigation was a big turnoff for the Eris. Battery life was awefull tho the droid was not much better until it had a few charge cycles on it. The moto was the one that supported Android 2.01 the physical keyboard is an added bonus (for me). The Moto is definatley larger and bulkier in the pocket.

MrTommy

Reaction score
Yup, right on.

So now she's looking at alternatives. She considers the DROID too large and heavy compared to her ENV, but she wants a physical keyboard, a big screen, and a short, easy learning curve. Suffice to say that I'm happy she didn't impose the same impossible standards when she selected a husband.

Gee jsh1120, your wife sounds like my wife. She's hanging on to her enV2 with a death grip. Thinks my Droid is a boat anchor. Too big, too heavy, too spendy, too, too, too. Ok, so she's not getting a Droid (or even an Eris). Fine with me.

But I really liked your last line about standards for selecting hubbies. :icon_ rocker: