should i root?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by patmw123, Mar 20, 2010.

1. patmw123

patmw123 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Hi, I've had my Droid since Christmas and I absolutely love it. I have 2.1 apps and those are great as well. Im basically trying to figure out if rooting my phone would be worth it. I understand the risks but with how many people on here talk about rooting and how great it is, but I have to say I don't know much about rooting or the process to be rooted. I see a lot of people overclocked, which I would also be interested in. I also know there are several different roms to choose from, but is there one that's better than the rest of them? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

#1 patmw123, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  2. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I waited almost 3 months to root and don't regret it one bit...if you research it, understand the risks and still wanna do it, then go for it. it's almost impossible to totally brick your droid to the point where its unusable, just make sure you keep backups of everything if you decide to go for it.

3. INSANENEIVIESIS

INSANENEIVIESIS Active Member
    Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    i rooted and never looked back. the first thing i did was got sprecovery(life saver) back up restore its very handy. then i got bugless beast and over-clocked to 1000MHz blazinn fast!! all in all ive had all versions of it since 7.4 and its great very stable and fast. Pete(the developer) is responsive and helps with problems and tries to integrate suggestions. all of the other Roms like smoked glass and ultimate droid are great but bb just feels right.

here is a complete how to on how and so much more, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html i would go with bugless beast .8

im not telling you what to do but its a lot of fun and why shouldn't you get the best out of your phone.

#3 INSANENEIVIESIS, Mar 20, 2010
  4. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    +1 on BB .8 and following Matt3w's guide. Can't get simpler than that, just follow it exactly and there is no way you can mess up...I'd wait for Pete to get Smoked Glass ready for .9 before you upgrade to that, as you'll probably fall in love with that theme and wouldn't want to lose it haa

5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    WWhenever I see a thread with this title I think the OP is saying "I want to root! Reaffirm this decision.";)

#5 hookbill, Mar 20, 2010
  6. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to root, root, if not, don't root. Never base your life decisions (whether it be something as stupid as a phone or more important things) based on other people's opinions. In other words, what Hook said.

Also guys, thanks for the mention, but my name is MattHew. Like the Bible.

7. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I'm pretty sure he wasn't going to off himself if he couldn't come to a conclusion about whether or not to root. He was just wondering if he should, and what other people thought about it and why they did it. I doubt he's a sociopath who thrives on the opinion of others to make "life decisions" lol.

8. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I don't know should you? Think hard....

9. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +49
    If this was a car forum, you have people that want a car to be stock, like it just came out of the showroom and others that want to "soup it up."

I have mine since it came out and haven't rooted......yet. I got the Droid instead of another phone because I had the option to. As I'm the only one I know where I work or my friends who even has a Droid I would like to see a rooted one in operation, not just pictures or something on YouTube.

That being said, I do plan to root, just not at the moment. Maybe after 2.1 comes out or we have a definite "not till November" sort of comment. Part of me wants the need to do so and, to be honest, my need for a cell phone would be better suited to a Moto e815. :blink:

I know one thing; in April I'll be visiting my computer mentor. He has a very simple cell phone and doesn't even have it set up with the BT in his car. I'll be show off the Droid and he'll ask me why it's so good. And I'll say, "Two Words....Open Source" and tell him what can be done. And then he'll say, "Have you done any of it?" At the very least I'll have to have it overclocked.

#9 aaf709, Mar 20, 2010
  10. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    haha i remember the e815...and doing seem edits on it...good times.

11. INSANENEIVIESIS

INSANENEIVIESIS Active Member
    Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry Matthew i was typing to fast and didn't proof read i fixed my Sig now thanks for you hard work again its appreciated.

12. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I purchased my Droid December 26, 2009. I rooted February 14, 2010 and have no regret. I used Matth3W's process. It is just about fool proof!

Mike