should i root?

KennyBerndt

Reaction score
On my previous phones (og Droid and thunderbolt) i loved being rooted. I used it to overclock, change roms for functionality and design (loved bamf cubed and bugless beast), wireless tether, and run programs that the phone didn't support previously.
Now having the RAZR Maxx, and on the shared plan, don't really need tether, already at 1.5. I south mind speeding it up to see what it can do, and checking out new roms, but i haven't seen a lot yet about either. Are there oc kernels? What's your favorite rom, and why?
Thanks!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
On my previous phones (og Droid and thunderbolt) i loved being rooted. I used it to overclock, change roms for functionality and design (loved bamf cubed and bugless beast), wireless tether, and run programs that the phone didn't support previously.
Now having the RAZR Maxx, and on the shared plan, don't really need tether, already at 1.5. I south mind speeding it up to see what it can do, and checking out new roms, but i haven't seen a lot yet about either. Are there oc kernels? What's your favorite rom, and why?
Thanks!
Since you are not a new comer to root I won't try to convey the benefits/drawbacks. There are a number of ROMs for ICS, system version .211 (stock version) and other system versions as well. I am assuming that you are running stock .211. If you want to root I recommend using the RazrUtility 1.81. You can download that utility here:Droid Razr Utility 1.81 [Windows] For Verizon Droid Razr/maxx Only! - DroidRzr.com. The RazrUtility has a number of options/functions other than root and is probably the fastest and easiest way to root your Razr. Download the utility zip to your computer. Extract the .zip to its own folder or to your desktop. The utility .zip MUST be extracted to work correctly. After extracting the .zip to its own folder, open the folder and run the .bat file...the utility will start, just follow the on screen instructions. The utility has the latest Motorola drivers which should install on your computer as soon as you plug in your Razr. Give the computer a little time to complete the driver installation. Make sure you have selected USB debugging and select a usb connection other than mass storage. The site that host the RazrUtility also has a few threads about overclocking and a section for ROMs available for your Razr.

ablank

Reaction score
Will my drivers have been installed if i use the computer with my razr all the time or do i need to download and install then myself?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Will my drivers have been installed if i use the computer with my razr all the time or do i need to download and install then myself?
If you're using Windows, the first time you connect your phone to your computer, Windows should automatically download and install the appropriate drivers. If it doesn't you can go to the Motorola site here:https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_detail/a_id/78662/p/30,6720,8417 and download and install them.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Copy that

And i can easily unroot per updates?
If you want to unroot to get an OTA update you have two options: 1) You can download and install Voodoo RootKeeper. Run the app and select backup root. When a OTA update is released you can temporarily unroot, take the update, then restore root. 2) The method I prefer is to use the 1.81 utility and restore .211 (option 1 if I remember correctly). Restoring insures that you have clean, stock OS on your phone before you take the OTA. But, its your choice.