Should I root my phone?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by AgentAlexander, Apr 12, 2010.

1. AgentAlexander

AgentAlexander New Member

I just recently got another droid(old one fell in toilet was in disabled) and now this one has 2.1 as stock. The only thing I would want the root for is mainly the extra speed with SetCPU and the glass theme.
  2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Not trying to be a prick but, if you understand what rooting is, what it's pros and cons are, and still need to ask the question "should I root?" The correct response is probably no. If you wanted to do it already, if you saw enough benefit you probably would have rooted already. You shouldn't need that extra shove to push you into doing something you don't want to do. We aren't salesmen (well some of us probably are), we aren't really here to assist you with life decisions.
  3. Pokebreaker

Pokebreaker New Member

I have to agree with cupfulloflol. As he stated, you already know the pros, cons and benefits you'll get out of rooting. So it's not a matter of anyone trying to convince you, because you already have the information needed to make a choice. Unless you are secretly wanting someone to talk you out of it.
  4. NeverEndingXsin

NeverEndingXsin New Member

+1 to what they said. all you have to lose is a little bit of your time and thats it.
  5. AgentAlexander

AgentAlexander New Member

Ah, I guess I will root then. It just seems hard rooting 2.1.
  6. GoGators

GoGators New Member

Along the lines of some other threads I've sen today, use the search function. It is not hard. You just need to read up and follow the great instructions that these developers post. Read, understand, then do. Read the stickys too. So many people have done this and posted about their success. All you have to do is educate yourself. If you are not willing to do that, then do not root.
  7. NeverEndingXsin

use the first 2 guides in my signature to root your phone. use the second one first to bring it back to 2.01, and then the first guide to root your phone.
  8. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Good use of a signature! And it made me just read my first ABS guide. +2 to Flomaster for the red numbering sequencing! :)

Getting to an overclocked rom takes a little longer than before when folks were on 2.01, but the process really isn't that difficult to get back to 2.01. Read, understand, take things one group of steps at a time, and ask after doing the above if you still have questions. The path has been taken by many before you. They'll help if you get stuck.
  9. NeverEndingXsin

Thanks, i figured it would be nice to have a little bit of help guides in my sig :)
  10. pudah

pudah New Member

As far as I understand, you can't really "root" 2.1 yet. You can revert to 2.0.1 and root, or go back to 2.0.1 and root and then add functionality to emulate 2.1, but there is not a method to actually root 2.1. Am I correct? You need to decide if you want 2.1 or root access more?
  11. Big D

Big D New Member

I can tell you that I am a relative idiot and I just reverted to 2.01 and rooted.

I wanted to use the Barnacle Wifi Tether.

If I can do it, trust me, you can.
  12. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

That is incorrect.

You're right about not being able to root a phone that is running 2.1 - you do need to revert back to 2.0.1 in order to obtain root access.

HOWEVER

Once you HAVE a rooted phone, you can install whatever you want on it - and that includes an exact copy of the over-the-air release of 2.1, modified to include su so that you retain your root privileges. To put it another way - Android 2.1 *software* can be "rooted" (manually), but a device RUNNING android 2.1 cannot be. Does that make more sense?

It used to be the case that a 2.1 rom was actually 2.0.1 with a bunch of stuff thrown in to make it look like 2.1, but the roms REALLY ARE 2.1, now. Some are already being based off ESE81 (the exact version that the over-the-air update).
  13. pudah

pudah New Member

Hmmm...

I wonder then what the best way for me, being on DroidMod currently, would be to get to as close to stock 2.1 as possible, but rooted with access to wifi tethering and adding busybox and a 5 or 7 slot kernel for overclocking and battery saving.... I dont want all the other fancy stuff.
  14. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I would say that your best bet is:
    1). use the droidmod utility to revert back to 2.0.1 (rooted, if possible - if not, you'll just need to re-root)
    2). install the 2.1 update from pete that includes busybox and root
    3). install an overclock kernel (adamz) that includes netfilter (wifi tether)
  15. spacemanps

spacemanps New Member

my biggest issue was what rom to use!!!! Rooting i feel you have to do... i am not willing to deal with a NON OC'ed phone... i just wont do it... where your really going to have issues is choosing a rom out of the amazing selection you find here! I have tried out about 5 in a couple of week span and i just cant figure out which one i like best.. I switch roms every week at minimum (back and forth from nextheme, BB, Smoked).. (sometimes everyday... sometimes on a slow day... ill switch multiple times a day.