Should I root my DROID?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Thorvindr, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Thorvindr

Thorvindr New Member

If I were to root my DROID, it would initially be for one reason. This seems like a small thing, but to me it is huge. I hate that I can't reduce my screen's brightness below ten percent. At night, outside, or in low-light situations, it's fine. But in total darkness, it burns a hole in my eye. I use my DROID as a book reader, and when I'm in bed and the DROID is the only light in the room, it is blinding.

So, if I root my DROID, will I be able to change that?

That being said, if I do root my device, I will certainly take a note from an earlier thread and get rid of those pesky e-mail and corporate calendar apps, and will enjoy the rooty goodness in other ways as well, but if I can't do that, I probably won't root it.

Also, I saw some talk of this in an earlier post and wanted a little more info. I understand that rooting the DROID voids the warranty, but how do they tell? If my DROID breaks (not bricks) in such a way that I need to replace it, that pretty much means it's not possible to un-root it. If I can un-root it, it still functions well enough that I won't get rid of it.

I'm not trying to put one over on anybody (yet). I just want to make sure I'm safe. And if I'm not, I'd rather know about it in advance than get to the Verizon store and have my knuckles smacked unexpectedly.
  2. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 New Member

Yes IF and or when we make a recovery rom which would be essentially a base rom. this root only patches the OS. also anyone can tell if your rooted simpy by installing a terminal app and typing su in the prompt...just root if you need to get your phone switched just use the insurance they never inspect it and send it to refurb and wipe the rom anyways. Trust me Ive sent in phones with custom roms and warez on it in the past....SHHH anyways give in and root and root for the fun side and dont be swayed into the darkside as many hav and will
  3. Thorvindr

Thorvindr New Member

Thank you for that clarification. Now I know that I can safely root my DROID with little or no fear of repercussions.

Still to be answered is the question of whether or not I will be able to lower my brightness, and if yes, how easily?
  4. Amall

Amall New Member

the limited screen dimability is my biggest gripe with this phone...
  5. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 New Member

mine dims just fine....hmmph......bad backlight maybe?
  6. Thorvindr

Thorvindr New Member

Mine dims fine too. All the way down to ten percent. Which, like I said, is great when it's not bright, like outdoors at night. But when it's pitch dark, like indoors at night, the DROID looks bright as a road flare. It's bad for your eyes if you're staring at something that bright when it's the only light source.

I need to be able to dim this thing to between two and five percent, and I would love to know if rooting it will allow me to do that.

So... Can somebody who has rooted their phone comment and shed some light (pun intended)?
  7. cline395

cline395 New Member

So you want to void your warranty, and play around with the programing of the phone, and you are willing to pay the money for the insurance if you break your phone, but you wont go and buy a ten dollar book light to read with at night?

Seems like you're trying to find the most difficult solution to your problem...
  8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

:welcome: to the forum. If you do some reading on the different ways there are to root and how detailed the instructions are it would be real difficult for someone to brick their phone. I rooted and if I can do it, probably anybody can. Still you make a good point there is a possibility anytime you do something out of the ordinary that you might break it.
  9. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/26193-rom-tgz-smoked-glass-v5-0-big-update-02-27-a.html

Read through the features. Dimming is one of them.

SBF will put your phone back into a non-rooted fresh out of the box state.

The setup for this rom lets you choose what to have installed and what not (I got rid of a few like the corp calendar

If your phone breaks and you can't unroot it then you ran it over or dropped it in a pond. Nobody else will know its rooted either.

Good luck and my reply to your question is "yes".
  10. gregsjh13

gregsjh13 New Member

Yes you should Root.Root comes with a ton of advantages.Like custom boot animations,custom Roms,Muti Touch and the new gallery also you can get a whole lot of customization options.Such as live wallpapers and 7 home screens.I have been Rooting ever since the G1 came out and i have had no problems.But be careful because if you don't know what you are doing you can mess up your phone.I hope this helped!.
  11. Kmart95

Kmart95 New Member

The easiest way to root and get the ability to dim your phone even less than ten percent and remove the annoying stock apps is to download dmupdater. You can download this app at droidmod.org. . Also there is a thread for this app on this forum where you can learn more about it.
  12. destinydmm

destinydmm New Member

13. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

droidmod gives you that option too. as well as MANY others... i got mine to dim down so much i could barely see to get it back..
  14. butch350

butch350 New Member

Will auto bright work?
Search tags for this page
root my droid
should i or shouldn't i root my droid

should i root my droid

should i root my droid x2
should i root my sg3
shouold i root my droid
what happens when i root my android

why should i root my droid