1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Should I root my droid??

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by capaleasco, Jul 22, 2011.

1. capaleasco

capaleasco New Member

I have had my droid X for about 5 months and aside from the occasional freeze I haven't had too many problems.

BUT, I keep thinking about rooting my phone. I see the cool stuff I can do with it...but I lose my warranty and I read that the phone company can tell when the phone is rooted....blah blah blah...

Main question is what are the main pros and cons to rooting my phone?

Thanks for any help...:motdroidvert:
  2. lizard

lizard New Member

It sounds like you already know the answer to your own question, mostly.

For me,

Pros: custom rom with visual elements like a transparent pulldown menu, different battery icon, modified power bar, page transitions. The ability to theme. Overclock on command by script. The option to run blurless, blurred, or anywhere in between, on command, by script. The ability to perform numerous other useful tasks by script.

Cons: they are always nonexistant at present and then they just pop up out of nowhere. Things like breaking off your usb connector and not being able to return phone to stock for warranty repairs.

You are running a risk though. I run a risk every time I ride my motorcycle without a helmet. I don't do it because I want to do risky things or because I lack common sense, I do it because I want to feel free and alive. Now live a little and root that phone!
  3. DavidM.

DavidM. New Member

I would. Custom ROMs alone are worth rooting.

Your phone company can't tell whether you're rooted or not unless they physically have your phone and are looking through it.

Custom ROMs and root only apps like wireless/wired tether are great for root. Also the ability to overclock.

Yes, rooting voids the warranty but you could set a backup to before you root and flash it back to that if you need repairs.
  4. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

For me just the ability to back up and restore app data is worth rooting. That and bloat removal. ROM's and such are great but they could present problems all on their own. Either way....you have to find what is important to you.
  5. JSM9872

JSM9872 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I decided to root initially for ONE reason, all those apps that were on my phone that I didnt use at all, aka bloat or bloatware. Just could not stand seeing so many useless things in my app drawer day in and day out. Rooted and dealt with those right away. Then I discovered everything else you could do at to me it is more then worth the risks.

You could always return it back to stock and return the phone if there are issues. But there are exceptions such as a broken USB port which I did experience. I could not return the phone and had to buy a replacement off Craigs List. To ME the pros outweigh the cons because literally immediately after I activated the new phone it was rooted and rommed asap.

But the decision is yours to make sure you do PLENTY of research and know exactly what you are getting into when you decide to do it.
  6. Suuperflie

Suuperflie New Member

Rooted my D1 a week ago and flashed SS 4.96 and it's like a totally new phone now.
Search tags for this page
do i need to root my droid 3 phone

should i root my droid

should i root my droid x