Should I root Moto Droid

C5O

Reaction score
Hi I am new to these forums and i really like the community so far. I am wondering if I should root my Motorola Droid or should I wait to see what Android 2.2 has to bring?

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I rooted Sunday (9th). Will never go back to stock. And I was one who said I'd never root - I've had my Droid since Dec 2009.

Bugless Beast V1.0 - Smoked Glass Theme - 1.0Ghz LV kernel.

I've seen May 19th - anywhere in July in the forums when it comes to the "possible" release of 2.2.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I was afraid at first, and now i laugh at my past self. Now I have all i need and I am theming everything i got myself, its so fun.

OP
C5O

C5O

Reaction score
I also had my Droid since Dec 2009 i'm not scared to root I just want to know if I should, with Android 2.2 coming out soon.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I also had my Droid since Dec 2009 i'm not scared to root I just want to know if I should, with Android 2.2 coming out soon.

I think a good question would be...Why do you want to root? Rooting can give more things than the upgrade will; being able to overclock for one.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
no one can tell you to root or not. I have not rooted my phone and i've had it since launch day.

Reason i don't root, this phone already has so many things i don't know what to do with it. I love how it runs stock and it's fast enough for me. Will I try rooting? Don't know to be honest, I'm more than happy with my phone the way it is.

I came from Windows Mobile and i modded the crap out of that thing. A steady and fluent stock OS is already impressive to me and no need to root, imo.

OP
C5O

C5O

Reaction score

I think a good question would be...Why do you want to root? Rooting can give more things than the upgrade will; being able to overclock for one.

Yeah I read a post on this and there are tons of customizations and ways to make your phone faster. I think i'll just do it.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Once you start asking any of these questions the real question is "when will I root?" vs "should I root?" :)

With prep work and reading you can go from stock to root back to stock in an hour's time.

Lock-N-Load

Reaction score
I have been on the fence also, but I often read all these cryptic root ROM possibilities like "Bugless Beast"

where can you read up on all the options so you know which one to select from?

EDIT... oops, I see your #1 and in that saw a mention there about ROM options in the "hack" section

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have been on the fence also, but I often read all these cryptic root ROM possibilities like "Bugless Beast"

where can you read up on all the options so you know which one to select from?

EDIT... oops, I see your #1 and in that saw a mention there about ROM options in the "hack" section

Yup, just like walking onto a car lot, without any prep work, its hard to know which car is best for you. The rom section has install instructions for each rom. Those instructions tend to let you know what comes with the rom. Does it have a kernel that can be overclocked or do you need to install another one later. Does it come with wifi-tether. Does it let you flip the screen around all 4 directions? Does it do your laundry? etc:)

OP
C5O

C5O

Reaction score
I really like BB v1.0 I think I am going to install it with a 800Mhz Bekit Kernal. I don't need super speed I just want a faster phone.

Beardface

Reaction score
I just got my phone back in Feb and I'm going to keep it stock until I get bored of it. I am pretty content of what it has now, and yes, even if you can overclock it, I don't really think it will make that big a difference. I am hearing that 2.2 will significantly speed up the phone, and if thats the case, I'm not sure overclocking will even really make that big a difference.

Only thing I am interested in with rooting is being able to customize the crap out of the thing. I figure that'll be something I'll start doing at the 1 year anniversary of the phone to keep me interested in it until I'm due for my free upgrade through Verizon, and by then, the Moto Droid 2 (or 3) should be out.

OP
C5O

C5O

Reaction score
I just got my phone back in Feb and I'm going to keep it stock until I get bored of it. I am pretty content of what it has now, and yes, even if you can overclock it, I don't really think it will make that big a difference. I am hearing that 2.2 will significantly speed up the phone, and if thats the case, I'm not sure overclocking will even really make that big a difference.

Only thing I am interested in with rooting is being able to customize the crap out of the thing. I figure that'll be something I'll start doing at the 1 year anniversary of the phone to keep me interested in it until I'm due for my free upgrade through Verizon, and by then, the Moto Droid 2 (or 3) should be out.

Nicely said. I am not to worried about speed I mostly want to customize it and Android 2.2 looks good from what I am hearing.