Should I return my Razr for a Galaxy Nexus??

ambrown

Reaction score
Verizon should be able to replace the battery in store.

The "non user replaceable" battery does concern me a little since doing a battery pull would be impractical.

But otherwise if I could upgrade the Razr would be the phone I would get right now. The nexus excited me but I think its more because of ICS; the more I look at the hardware the more I find the nexus a little underwhelming.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Sounds like those of you that have the Razr, plan to keep it. The more I think about it, the more I want to stay with the Razr. I've gotten to love it. Going from OG MotoDroid to the Razr has been a giant leap forward for me. Don't think it's going to be as big of a leap going from Razr to Gal Nexus. I don't really NEED Ice Cream Sandwich. Im plenty happy with OS that came with the Razr. I'm just curious when ICS is released for the Razr, will the Razr's performance be as zippy as before the update? As supposed to the Gal Nexus which comes already loaded with ICS? Sorry if I sound like a noob.
I've gotten accustomed to navigating around the Razr. It's plenty fast and does everything i've asked of it. I've had no freezes. I also love the Smart Actions on the Razr. That has definately helped with conserving the battery. I'm getting 10 hours with pretty heavy usage(I can't put this thing down), which isn't bad.
When it comes down to it, I think the main reason I'm considering switching is the screen resolution is higher on the Nexus. Guess i'll just have to see the Screen on the Nexus myself when it's released on Friday (hopefully)

You have to actually see both screens side by side, both set to either auto brightness or both set to 100%, and then set the RAZR to live wallpaper, the leaves on water, and then the same on the gnex and see for yourself if you prefer one over the other. Then do the same with the browsers, and finally with pictures. Resolution isn't everything.

I did that with the Rezound (also a higher resolution than the RAZR) and was disappointed with the washed out look of the Rezound. The colors were bland, the contrast was no comparison, and the screen almost appeared as though I was looking at it through a frosted glass or light fog. The image edges were sharp, but the lack of contrast and less than dark blacks detracted from it's overall presence.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Verizon should be able to replace the battery in store.

There is the possibility that they will. It does require removing the back cover and then two Torx screws which hold down the contacts, but it's nothing a reasonably well trained tech shouldn't be able to handle.

olc

Reaction score
Lithium ion is good for about 7 years, I still have both lithium ion batteries for my Makita drills and they both work 100%, had them for 4.5-5 years now, I believe these batteries included in the razr are probably superior to the one on my drills, so I would guess 10 years of good use, my DX is also a year and a half and is in great use, had a 1st gen iPod touch for 4 years.... So its DEFINITELY longer than 2 years

Are you using the drills 12 hours a day with daily recharging. Lithium battery life span depends primarily on charging cycles. The standard is 300-500 cycles. With a 4G phone, that's certainly less than 2 years because to the need to constantly recharge. In any case, having a user replaceable battery, or even a battery easily and conveniently replaceable at nominal cost adds a great deal to the useful life of the phone. Having to send the phone in to Motorola and pay at least (they couldn't be more specific) $110 doesn't meet that requirement for.

But fell free to simply get a new phone any time the battery fail after the one year warranty. Many people don't think that's good value.

olc

Reaction score
There is the possibility that they will. It does require removing the back cover and then two Torx screws which hold down the contacts, but it's nothing a reasonably well trained tech shouldn't be able to handle.

Verizon says they will not be doing that and I should contact Motorola to see what the cost and process is. That's what I did. Can that change? Sure, but don't count on it.

alboboy10

Reaction score

Verizon well trained technician? Isn't that an oxymoron

alboboy10

Reaction score
What's your reasoning behind this? Do you own either a Razr or Nexus?

I played long enough with the razr to think it's the best Moto out. But just didn't do it for me. Didn't feel or look right.

Besides anything that is a nexus will always be top of the line... It's a phone made by google, on an os made by google. If you love android then nexus is a necessity.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The "non user replaceable" battery does concern me a little since doing a battery pull would be impractical.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app
power button and volume down is a simulated battery pull.

shinobi13

Reaction score
I had an OG droid then moved up to the D3. Love it. I found about root and did it and been reading up on roms. After what you peeps have said. I am going to unroot my phone now and bring jt back to stock. Messing with trying to find the perfect rom and all kernels etc for hours don't sound fun. Plus lots of apps i have discovered that pretty much let me customize this bad boy to my needs. I do like ti backup though. Let me move all my crap the sd card that i could not before. Thanks for advice you unknownly gave me.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

tc1

Reaction score
No... Keep the razr.

Better build, radios.

And the smart actions software works really well.

Zandar

Reaction score
RAZR
Design, build quality, radios, removable storage, Smart Actions/other Moto services

GNex
Screen (though it's probably negligible in real world usage), vanilla Android, ROMS, removable battery, NFC

You really have to decide which features you'll use. For me, removable storage was better than a removable battery (never removed the battery on my OG Droid except to do a hard reset, and you can hard reset the RAZR), build quality was better than the slightly upgraded screen (again, not a factor in actual usage), and I just really liked the styling.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
RAZR
Design, build quality, radios, removable storage, Smart Actions/other Moto services

GNex
Screen (though it's probably negligible in real world usage), vanilla Android, ROMS, removable battery, NFC

You really have to decide which features you'll use. For me, removable storage was better than a removable battery (never removed the battery on my OG Droid except to do a hard reset, and you can hard reset the RAZR), build quality was better than the slightly upgraded screen (again, not a factor in actual usage), and I just really liked the styling.

After I read a post by a Google engineer I actually see that non removable storage is not the better option. It's easier to upgrade but 32gb is already more than I have now, so I should be fine! =) I used to be in the same boat as you! :biggrin:

Zandar

Reaction score
After I read a post by a Google engineer I actually see that non removable storage is not the better option. It's easier to upgrade but 32gb is already more than I have now, so I should be fine! =) I used to be in the same boat as you! :biggrin:
I actually use it to easily switch data between devices (same stuff on my RAZR, tablet, and Chromebook without needing to load 'em all up; plus it's nice when I get new devices). I don't need the extra space. Like I said, different usage requirements for different people.