Should I put an otterbox on my Razr?

joemeigs8

Reaction score
I love the sleek and thin look of the phone but don't want to crack the screen or harm it in anyway. Your opinion?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Well it is definitely personal preference and what you want to do. But I would much rather have a slightly bulked up phone due to having a case instead of a cracked screen (although no cases will protect you from everything).

S

SFGate

Having had fast mishaps with new phones, will say that I agree with JSM on this one.

Zandar

Reaction score
If you want safe and bulky, go for the case. Sleek and less protected, no case. No one can make the choice for you. I run without a case, but I always have and know the risk.

Sliced from my RAZR

pinoy_92

Reaction score
go for the commuter case so it wouldnt look too bulky. it does add a bit of bulk but you get used to it eventually.

for a water-proof case i suggest a ziplock bag :biggrin:

dolfanpete

Reaction score
I have the otter box and love it! I placed a screen protector on it and removed the plastic screen protector in the otter box itself and its sweet!

sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

Papa_T

Reaction score
I had a BlackBerry for a while and got an otterbox basically free. I dropped that phone, intentionally and unintentionally, and not once did the drop effect the phones performance. When I got my Droid Razr, the otterbox was the first thing I purchased afterwards. I wouldn't have a smartphone without the otterbox. Yes, it does add some bulk, but as stated earlier, better than a cracked screen. I use the defender series which is a little thicker than the commuter series. Both are really good at protecting the phone. dancedroid

Last edited:

techgov8

Reaction score
I hate using cases. I have the otterbox commuter and its nice. Not too much bulk but I switch off a lot. Sometimes I throw the case on depending what I'm doing.

Willheis

Reaction score
I put an otterbox on my RAZR shortly after I got it. My phone was definitely protected, but I eventually got tired of the bulk and the grippy case being hard to get in and out of my pockets. So now I just have a klear kare screen protector and no case. The thing I'm worried about the most is scratches on my screen, and the klear kare protects it amazingly.

MrTommy

Reaction score
OtterBox Defender forever!

Got the Defender for mine. I had a Body Glove for my original Moto Droid I, and it saved my phone from both a "big truck" rollover, and a loss on the trail while out riding ATV's. It took the most abuse from the "big truck" rollover, but after that and being tossed off the fender of my ATV while out riding, and surviving without a scratch, I'm a 'cover' fanatic. I was barely out of the Verizon store when I got the Otterbox on my phone.

Of course, when I decided to take the phone out just to see what the Razr Maxx actually looks like, I was unable to get it out of the Otterbox. Pried and pulled and yanked (and broke two fingernails - gasp!) and finally gave up. Guess that means when the battery fails, and I'm not near a Verizon dealer, I'll just toss it in a crap pile and buy the latest and greatest.... :frown:

heavyvino

Reaction score
I work in building and plant maintenance and I want the extra protection of the defender.

Sliced from my skull by a RAZR

MrTommy

Reaction score
Bending over

I eventually got tired of the grippy case being hard to get in and out of my pockets.

Actually, this is exactly why I do like it. I can bend over without worrying about the phone slipping out. You know the old story about how the largest number of cell phones lost by men is when bending over the toilet to flush - ha.

Although admittedly, I'd love to be able to just leave the phone in its svelte, original form (Razr thin....). :biggrin:

cjummel

Reaction score
The Defender is necessary for my outdoor work, but it is not designed to allow for plugging into the Motorola LapDock...takes way too much time to remove the case, but it otherwise does what it should and the phone is safe, even from dropping into deep snow

cordlaw

Reaction score
I would recommend one. I cracked my screen on my razr at work just by leaning up against a ladder