Should I pull the trigger? Need some quick advice.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
[*]Battery Drain? You'll get the same amount of time using it as you do your iPhone 6. I had 39% left last night when I plugged it in. My iPhone would have been around that. It is still an Android phone and not an Apple phone. No one can compare to Apple when it comes to battery drain.
Sorry I couldn't pass this by as everyone I know who has iphone of any kind is dead half way through the day if they are a heavy user. So I decided to find comparisons of iPhone vs android.
Battery life tests - GSMArena.com

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
OK, everyone can calm down. I'm telling you my experience. Yes, I had 39% left last night (This was my first full day with the Turbo) and yes, that is normal for me with the iPhone 6.

So, is that right? No. I don't think it's right, but today is only my second day with the Turbo, so I'm assuming the battery life will get better. However, there's no denying that the iPhone 6 does last as long as my Turbo does currently. Notice I emphasized the word my. I'll go a step further. I had the Razr Maxx and the Razr Maxx HD. Both for about 6-10 months a piece. (The Maxx probably over a year.) Neither would last as long as the iPhone 6, or my Turbo. I do consider myself a heavy user and I probably do use the Droid's more than I did the iPhone, so maybe that has something to do with the results, but it's my experience with both phones (Turbo and iPhone6). Check out my siggy below. I'm not a first day Android user. I do have some experience here and I'm telling you, the iPhones last a LOT longer than they should. There's no way a SmartPhone with a 1800 mAh battery should last longer than 4 hours, but the iPhones do. They last all day. Ask the OP. He'll tell you. The iPhone 6 last a full day on 1 charge. Don't hate me, I'm just telling you my experience and I had the iPhone 6 since launch day. Before that I dabbled in the iPhone 5 a while back and I'd still have either of them if the hotspot wasn't an issue.

What I do with my phone (iPhone 6 and now Turbo) during a normal work day:
  • Check email with Exchange, Yahoo, Gmail, and POP Mail
  • I work 10 hours shifts, so for at least 10 hours a day I have crappy signal strength. Right now it's -115dBm, but it's still 4G!
  • Edit: One major difference is the iPhone was on WiFi all day because the signal strength was too low. This means the bad signal didn't effect the iPhone's battery as much.
  • Watch 45 minutes of Netflix during lunch.
  • Watch 30 minutes of Directv Go. (Wifey and I watch/listen to Sheppard's Chapel on the way to work each morning.)
  • Stream Sirius at least 2 hours each day
  • I have 4 games that I play throughout the day to kill time and keep in touch with people that actually like me...
  • Use it as a hotspot for at least 1 hour a day. Sometimes 2, if I decide to breakout the iPad to watch Netflix on during lunch instead of watching on my phone.
  • General surfing, etc.
When I plug it in at night, my iPhone usually had around 20-30% battery left after the above. As I stated, the Turbo had 39% last night.

Last edited:
OP
J

jer39

Reaction score
To say I'm shocked to hear that would be a huge understatement! I realize that Apple has the advance of controlling both hardware and software, and there are great efficiencies there, but the Turbo battery is more than TWICE the size! (1850mAh vs. 3900mAh). Could you really get 7 hours or more of screen-on time out of your iPhone 6?

Sent from my Droid Turbo

So far I've been reasonably impressed with the iPhone 6's battery, particularly on standby. I've only had the phone since last Monday and (if I keep it) I'm worried that the battery in a few months won't do what the battery does now. But so far, on low to moderate use days, the battery has hung in there for me. Every day I unplug around 7:30-8:00am and when I head home from work between 6pm-8pm the phone has always been above 50% for me. During that time I'm fielding a couple phone calls, doing a decent amount of texting and emailing (though I also email at my desktop computer) am doing some web searching while above ground for part of my commute, and listening to downloaded music and reading downloaded pages during the rest of my 40 minute subway commute when I'm underground. Today is the lowest I've been at this time of day (12:15pm) and I'm still at 78% and have been unplugged for 5 hours with almost 2 hours of usage time.

Now partly I think this is because Apple (and probably many other smartphones perhaps including the Turbo) "cook the books" with battery percentage. And by that I mean that for some reason the iPhone is very slow to drain on power when I've got 95-100% (seems I can use the phone a long time before I drop even one percent when I'm in the upper registers) but then drops more precipitously when, say, I'm down to 50 or 60%. As a frame of reference, on my commute into work I will listen to downloaded music, browse webpages when above ground, read from downloaded webpages or the NY Times app while I'm underground and arrive at work 35-40 minutes at 95%. Meanwhile on my commute home, when my battery is down to, say, 62% at the start of the commute, the very same activities during the very same or similar time period will drop me down to 47-49% before I walk in the door. So in my mind the phone is being a bit dishonest about how much power I'm burning in the upper register vs the lower register. From what I understand the Turbo does this too...which is why if you're at 1% and charge it for 15 minutes you might jump up to 20%...but if you're at 90% and charge it for 15 minutes you might not get up to 100%.

Similarly, if I'm streaming video, or streaming audio while also searching the web, the battery starts taking a much quicker hit.

But I digress. I'm no Apple or iPhone fan....never had an iPhone before this one and I still can't stand how restrictive iOS is (and this alone may cause me to jump ship back to Android). BUT, so far, the battery has been great, at least when I'm not really putting it through its paces.

Having never owned an iPhone I don't know if people had similar positive experiences during their first few weeks with the 5S and then had major battery issues in the months that followed, or if the battery was always cruddy on the 5S and has genuinely improved on the 6.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Having never owned an iPhone I don't know if people had similar positive experiences during their first few weeks with the 5S and then had major battery issues in the months that followed, or if the battery was always cruddy on the 5S and has genuinely improved on the 6.

I've had my work 5S for a little over a year now, and I've never experienced major battery issues of any kind. Like any battery, it's ability to hold a charge degrades over time, but there's been no major drops in its performance.

TatDroid

Reaction score
for some reason the iPhone is very slow to drain on power when I've got 95-100% (seems I can use the phone a long time before I drop even one percent when I'm in the upper registers) but then drops more precipitously when, say, I'm down to 50 or 60%. As a frame of reference, on my commute into work I will listen to downloaded music, browse webpages when above ground, read from downloaded webpages or the NY Times app while I'm underground and arrive at work 35-40 minutes at 95%. Meanwhile on my commute home, when my battery is down to, say, 62% at the start of the commute, the very same activities during the very same or similar time period will drop me down to 47-49% before I walk in the door. So in my mind the phone is being a bit dishonest about how much power I'm burning in the upper register vs the lower register. From what I understand the Turbo does this too...which is why if you're at 1% and charge it for 15 minutes you might jump up to 20%...but if you're at 90% and charge it for 15 minutes you might not get up to 100%.
The rate and consistency that a phone charges vs. how it drains is often an apples to oranges comparison. I wouldn't mix those two when comparing one phone to another.

If we're just talking about how it drains, you bring up an interesting phenomenon. My very unscientific observation with my Turbo has been exactly the opposite of what you describe with your iPhone. It seems like my battery meter tends to drop more rapidly at first, and then more slowly later - even for the same type of activity. Just my observation. Unscientific. Me. * (*YMMV. $0 down. 24 months. 12,000 mi/yr.)

Sent from my Droid Turbo

Last edited:

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I need to update my last remarks above regarding the battery. It's been almost 3 weeks now and the battery finally got broke in. I used it to play quite a few games yesterday. More screen time then ever and it had 70% after a full day. It's finally getting the life I expected.