should i, or shouldn't i

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by drivinfocused, Feb 25, 2010.

1. drivinfocused

drivinfocused Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I am getting mine next week and have been browsing this site for a week or so, and hte hacking sounds like a good idea, but i have no idea what i am doing, and another thing that i am worried about is that i will totally kill it..... and one more point is that i have had nothing but problems with verizon phones the last 3 years, i have gone through proably 15 or so phones in that time. so i am afraid that if i have my phone rooted, and i have a problem with it and needing returns done, that it will be too hard for me to go back to stock. plus just the hassel of putting it on and taking it off seems like too much work to do it for me......

so to all of you, with my bad experiences, and no experience on rooting, should i really do this? and is for an everyday phone, is it really worth the process of going through with it in a kinda non tech-savy person like me......

thanks to all those who reply ahead of time, i really do appreciate your help.....
  2. Jim 777

Jim 777 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I had no experience and still have huge amounts to learn, but rooted and it went smoothly. If your bad experiences were stemmed from "messing" with the phones, I'm thinking don't worry about rooting right away. Stock out of the box it's an awesome phone.

If you root, don't just follow the directions word for word but rather character by character. Back up and back up often. It will be your friend.
  3. cisco0910

cisco0910 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You said it rite there "ur a nontech savy person". I absolutely wouldn't encourage rooting without lots of research. I consider myself pretty tech savvy but I'm still not totally comfortable w this stuff. ..
  4. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +0
    First of all, welcome to the forum, drivinfocused! The decision to root is strictly up to you as is the process. I'll see if I can't dig someone up to come talk to you about it. He's rooted (and I'm not). But anyway, enjoy your Droid and the forum!
  5. drivinfocused

drivinfocused Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the second welcome Anne and no the phones being messed up were in no way my fault faulty phones.

And I know my way around a computer but by no means am I comfortable with what I know. I guess I'm just un familiar with the applications to help you root and whether the back ups in the phone or computer. Will do more searching tomorrow. Thanks for quick replies if you have any questions for me please pm me!
  6. JonKyu

JonKyu Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome!! Honestly trust your gut if it says that it's not comfortable rooting and hacking then don't do it. But if it's interested but not ready to try definitely do your reading! Before I rooted (believe I was worried about it to) I did as much research as I could about it and paid attention to threads that were being posted. Luckily there are some great guides out there so if you do find yourself really wanting to try definitely read the guides!!

Big Lou has some great guides that are geared toward the newbie's. I found them very informative and very helpful when I was rooting my phone!
  7. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    It sounds like its not a question of to root or not to root because you sound interested in the possibilities. The question therefore might be "when to root?"

As others have said, do your reading. Read the "I messed up my phone" and "help me I'm stuck" threads to see how others go from being stuck to unstuck. For many making these changes goes smoothly but for some they end up pulling their hair out. Overall it works out in the end. Some decide to go back to stock which was one of your questions: if you root it you can return it to stock if you need to bring it in for any reason...as long as it will boot up.

Those who are more technically inclined and are doing things others do not understand were not born with those skills. They either had a great instructor or they poked around and learned these things. Either way....rooted or not, this is a great phone. There is plenty to play with even if you don't root. Welcome to DF.
  8. drivinfocused

drivinfocused Member

Ratings:
    +3
    well so i know i am bringing up an old thread i started but better than starting a new one...............

i have done and installed sprecovery with a nandroid back up. so i have a ROM sitting on my desktop calling my name..... and i am about to do it. wish me luck........ im about to make one of the biggest decisions with this phone!